Aegis_Chrome
bdsbds95632

The Professor Layton Games are Better than the Ace Attorney (Phoenix Wright) Games

bdsbds95632 has forfeited round #2.
Started: 4/7/2017 Category: Games
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Aegis_Chrome

Pro

Personally, I believe the Professor Layton games to be better than the Ace Attorney games.

1) They focus more on the gameplay, with minigames and thousands of unique puzzles.
2) The story is richer, with a wide variety of lovable and memorable characters.
3) The art style is perfect, with quirky character design and interesting set pieces.
4) The cutscenes and animations are top-notch, and the voice acting is great and fits the characters seamlessly.

I am excited to hear your arguments for this debate, good luck!
bdsbds95632

Con

while the professor Layton series is a good series of games ace attorney has a colorful cast of characters and funny scenes with serious stories within each case. Everyone from miles Edgeworth to both Von Karmas to the defendants. To your number 4 i say only one word. OBJECTION! that's all you need. The trials and the investigations are the game play. As such it focuses on gameplay 100% of the time
Aegis_Chrome

Pro

While I agree with you that AA does have its quirky characters, find the gameplay to, sometimes, be repetitive. and the over-the-top character presentation makes it harder to relate to the characters and for them to all make memorable impressions.

Also, I would like to focus on the puzzles. In AA, I feel it can be quite simple and, at times, obvious as to what you need to do. However, in the Professor Layton games, the puzzles are rarely continuations or adaptations of another one, and even when they are they are still challenging and interesting. As the puzzles are only needed to progress the story at certain points, this gives a wider range of gameplay possibilities and exploration, whereas AA can seem very linear at points.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
It's not always obvious what the contradictions are in Ace Attorney, seeing as how I was bad at Layton vs Phoenix Wright's trials, and YouTubers I watched weren't certain either. And you're not meant to necessarily relate to Ace Attorney characters, you just feel bad for them. I was certainly sad when Phoenix was mourning for Maya's supposed death. Ace Attorney really knows how to "hit you in the feels".