Shamoo2
DebaterGood

The Purge would help lower crime if real

Started: 4/14/2016 Category: Technology

Shamoo2

Pro

First round is acceptance, No arguments Round two arguments and rebuttals. Round 3 conclusion. Let the purge commence.
DebaterGood

Con

I accept this debate.
Shamoo2

Pro

Shamoo2 forfeited this round.
DebaterGood

Con

Since my opponent has forfeited this round, I will commence with my points. First of all, a "purge" would in no way decrease the crime rate if it was to be implemented in today's society. For example, 70% of all murders are NOT premeditated, meaning that 70% of ALL murders could happen at any time. Secondly, there would be revenge killings that would almost certainly take place after a murder has been committed in a family or gang. Let me put this in perspective, since this topic is very dystopian. If God forbidding one of your family members is harmed during the purge, it would be natural human nature for you to immediately want to get revenge, and why not at a time where he/she won't be suspecting...(AKA Not the Purge) Secondly, I am sure that my opponent will mention lower level crimes such as stealing,looting,etc. would be lowered, however, companies big and large would surely have insurance policies that would subsidize the amounts of goods stolen, meaning that if items were stolen, they would still be legally stolen after the purge, making it a crime. Whether they are caught or not doesn't make it a crime. This brings me to my third point, which is people would have their guard down during non-purge days, making stealing and violence more accessible and efficient. This element of surprise would surely be used by criminals and thugs alike.
Shamoo2

Pro

I was having internet problems over the weekend so I will be forfeiting this debate I will make a second one if my oppodent will agree to.
DebaterGood

Con

Sure, I will accept a second debate.
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
Please add a definition of crime, and what measurement tools you have in mind.