VenumMMA19
TheInterlang

"The Purge"

VenumMMA19

Pro

I would be open to a "Purge" if the Government took drastic safety precautions...As for making it like the movie, were it's uncontrolled, unmonitored, and people are free to do whatever and whenever they would like? I would be against it. But if there was a secluded area or land where those wishing to participate could go and those wishing to have no part in the event could stay safe at home, why not? Someone wants to, that is their poison to drink...Listen, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Sitting there insulting people is just rude, insensitive, and ignorant. Put it into perspective. Think of how you would feel. That sounds elementary I know...But it works. How would you feel if someone you cared about passed away and you were crying and someone walks up to you and calls you a wimp, a baby, or a derogatory term. That is not fair of them...Everybody thinks, acts, and copes differently. Stop and consider that next time before you decide to judge people so harshly as to calling them "psychopaths."
TheInterlang

Con

If the government was involved heavily, it would not really be a purge like the movie. Though there are still problems with such a scenario. For instance, the people who enter could start a militia and take down the federal government. With the correct weapons, they could destroy the guards that isolate them from the main society.

Imagine if clandestine chemists entered the purge zone. They could whip up some Anthrax and find a way to deposit it on the outside world, possibly using rockets. They could also Anthrax the people within the "purge zone".

The only logical way to do a purge is to only allow "small" crimes, like speeding on country roads, drinking underage, or using marijuana. No rape, murder, theft, cutting off limbs, etc. A totally uncontrolled "purge zone" is the perfect breeding ground for turmoil, unless it is totally under a dome.

I haven't actually seen the movie when I wrote that opinion post, and I assumed "purge" was referring to genocide (as per Wikipedia).
VenumMMA19

Pro

VenumMMA19 forfeited this round.
TheInterlang

Con

TheInterlang forfeited this round.