Konsto
cantstumpthetrump

The Purpose of School is Not to Learn

Konsto

Pro

The purpose of school is not to learn. The purpose of school is to see how well students can show patience, obedience and the willingness to work, so that colleges can pick out the people that are going to work hard. If you ask any college senior, they will have completely fotgotten everything they learned throughout school. If you ask any adult about what they learned in school, they barely remember. That is why even some adults suffer when asked to help their young children with homework. 10.7 percent of Americans who claim they can speak a language "very well" according to Gallup, only 7% of them learned it in school. Almost every adult has took a foreign language in their life, but if you ask them if they still remember it, only a few can. If the purpose of school was to learn, why would they make us do standardized testing? Standardized testing is not used to see how much students learned. It doesnt require any aspect of education except memorization. Standardized tests are made to see how much work we will put in to achieve a goal. The purpose of schooling is not to teach us things, but to take us through a process where we get graded on how much work we are willing to put in.
cantstumpthetrump

Con

Math, reading, writing, and history. I never forgot any of that information. School is to learn, you should look up the definition of the word "education" it may help you a lot. Now schools TEACH you the skills to prepare you for college. How they prepare you is by teaching you. Test are a ranking system, who is the best who is the worst. You don't invest in a business that'll fail right? Ever notice how some schools have higher scores than others? It's because they TEACH better because school is about learning. If people forget most of their education how do people do their jobs? Like programmers, doctors, teachers, welders, and directors? I mean if they forgot, how do they know what they're doing then? I think you're looking at this all wrong you should reconsider this outrageous opinion. On this issue with Foreign Language they have to be motivated to learn another language. You don't just remember a Mexican class you took back in 6th grade. I can say most American 6th graders don't want to learn Mexican. That's why they don't remember any of it. I call it Mexican because it's a slang watered down version of Spanish.
Konsto

Pro

All those jobs that you listed, "programmers, doctors, teachers, welders and directors", In my whole life, I have never been taught in school about welding, directing or teaching, and minimally about programming and the medical field. Schooling before college will only help you with being a mathematician, writer, and historian and in some cases, a scientist or programmer. In some schools there isn't programming being taught at all even though most of the well educated people will end up in computer related jobs. Most people learn about the profession they want to follow, in college. They forget everything before college and even many things that they learned in college. That is why many jobs look not for people who know things in the field but people who can learn quickly so they can quickly learn everything about the job because they didn't learn anything like that in school. Education and schooling are completely different things. Many billionaires ended their education. I understand that it was not because they did not want education, it was because they thought it was going to be more beneficial to take care of their business instead of learning useless things at school that they were never going to use. They realized that they would learn much more by actually participating in entrepreneurship instead of learning about it. My point is that schooling (before college) is completely useless if the goal is to teach somebody somethings. The goal of schooling is obviously to take the kids through a process so that colleges and employers can see how hard they are willing to work
cantstumpthetrump

Con

Looks like you should be making a debate about how public schooling isn't as good as people think. I learned first aid and C++ while I was in highschool. Billionaires don't need to go to school because they're already rich. Why waste the time, I mean not like you need to prove anything to anyone at that point;Negotiation I feel is an natural talent; like Donald Trump is just naturally good at negotiation, which helped him get rich. Next, yes you do learn how to do your career mainly in college but high schools offer clubs and other afterschool programs. I am a nurse and high school students come to my job and get first person views on what the job is like. They take in a lot of knowledge about the career and the basics on how we do things. Last, school trains you so much you wouldn't believe if we didn't learn anything in school trust me people wouldn't do it. That's why it's REQUIRED from your kids to go to school in America because they need to LEARN. If you never went to school at all then jumped right into college at the age of 18 I bet you'd fail. You need that build up.
Konsto

Pro

You are assuming that the people in charge of the education that millions of children get are too stupid to understand the outcome of it? I don't think so. You say that high schools offer clubs and after-school programs. Is most of their time spent in the clubs and after school programs or actual school? The clubs and after-school programs are not required either. You say you are a nurse and that high school students come in to your job and get first person views about what you are doing. Maybe the reason is that the students want to become nurses and they realize that their school is not going to give them any information about nursing so they come to you instead. Also, you mentioned that school trains you a lot. I completely agree. School trains you to be a patient, hard-working and obedient person so you can succeed in college. I am not proposing that we stop schooling. I am proposing that everybody understands the reason that they, or their children, need to go through schooling.
cantstumpthetrump

Con

There is sports medicine classes and there is many classes to help for college career. Now the poor schools may not offer these programs because well they're poor. School can teach you so much, you have to be willing to take the opportunities. If you don't put effort into it you'll get nothing. You're saying that school is not to learn but you're wrong. School is designed to educate people, it's designed to teach them academics; why are teachers trained to teach if you're not learning anything? School is needed in our world! School is such a start on our life, it can teach us the basics of everything, if you're willing to take it in. Opportunities are everywhere! You didn't look hard enough.

In conclusion, you're a lightweight when it comes to debating against someone as great as me. You're point really wasn't that valid. We go to school to learn, just because you had some learning difficulties that's on you. What we need to really need to talk about is why America is ranked so low in education.
Posted by DavidN21 1 year ago
DavidN21
con blew it with the last paragraph. Clearly your not that great because one of your paragraphs was all about insulting pro
Posted by cantstumpthetrump 1 year ago
cantstumpthetrump
D.1up don't we have a debate I'm beating you in right now?
Posted by Dr.1up 1 year ago
Dr.1up
Just for the record, College is still considered to be "school." Pro did admit to the fact that one does go to college on order to learn things. Con could have used this in his argument.

The reason that school is mandatory in the USA (the reason why we go to school) is because we are voting citizens and we have the responsibility to learn about what we are voting on. The purpose of school --the reason why we have school-- is to help us learn how the world works around us. Whether that is its EFFECT or not is a completely different story.

I would vote for Pro in this situation, but he blew it in the end when he needlessly insulted his opponent, saying, "... you're a lightweight when it comes to debating against someone as great as me."
One of the absolute dumbest mistakes that anyone can make is assuming that you are better-than/above someone else.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
search for the definition of indictrination