Bordenkircher
nandiasss

The Qur'an Contradicts Itself Both Directly and Indirectly

Bordenkircher

Pro

This debate is about the Qur'an, and if it contains any contradictions. Because Muslims hold the perfection of the Qur'an to be very important, I wish to analyze the so-called "scriptures" to see if they are perfect, or if they are erroneous.

The first round is for acceptance and clarificaiton if necessary. The remaining three are for debate.

*I will be assuming that Yusuf Ali's translation of the Qur'an is accurate to Arabic. If my opponet would prefer a different translation or Arabic, I will provide that in addition to Yusuf Ali's translaiton upon request.

*I will be assuming that the Qur'an does not require anything but its own content to come to a proper conclusion on its teachings. This means I will not accept the Hadiths as a source if they say anything contrary to what is logically read in the Qur'an in context. I also do not care about Imams or Muslim scholars. I only care about what the Qur'an actually says.
nandiasss

Con

I think we should not debate about this because each of religion has it own believing, like Islam with Al-Qu'ran, Christian with scripture, and etc. Muslim could have doubted the contents in scripture on the contrary the Christian could also doubted the content about Qu'ran. Well, for the content whether is it true or not, it's up to your own believing if you think it's doesn't make a sense you could out from it, but if you think another way you have to learn about your religion more, this is what we called with "God Secret". Now I ask you ? do you believe in your own religion holy book ? As a Muslim I believe in the promise and the threat that contained in Al-Qur'an and Hadith. And that's my opinion
Bordenkircher

Pro

It is important to discuss religion because they cannot all be true. Even if they provide good moral guidance, a religion which is not true should not be follwed.

The first argument I would like to use against the Qur'an is the number of days Allah took to create.

"Your Guardian-Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in six days, and is firmly established on the throne (of authority): He draweth the night as a veil o'er the day, each seeking the other in rapid succession: He created the sun, the moon, and the stars, (all) governed by laws under His command. Is it not His to create and to govern? Blessed be Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds (Qur'an 7:54)!"

This verse claely states that Allah took six days to create the world.

"He Who created the heavens and the earth and all that is between, in six days, and is firmly established on the Throne (of Authority): Allah Most Gracious: ask thou, then, about Him of any acquainted (with such things) (Qur'an 25:59)."

It now seems clear that the Qur'an claims that Allah created the world in six days. Why then does this passage exist?

"Say: Is it that ye deny Him Who created the earth in two Days? And do ye join equals with Him? He is the Lord of (all) the Worlds.He set on the (earth), mountains standing firm, high above it, and bestowed blessings on the earth, and measure therein all things to give them nourishment in due proportion, in four Days, in accordance with (the needs of) those who seek (Sustenance).Moreover He comprehended in His design the sky, and it had been (as) smoke: He said to it and to the earth: "Come ye together, willingly or unwillingly." They said: "We do come (together), in willing obedience."So He completed them as seven firmaments in two Days, and He assigned to each heaven its duty and command. And We adorned the lower heaven with lights, and (provided it) with guard. Such is the Decree of (Him) the Exalted in Might, Full of Knowledge (Qur'an 41:9-12)."

Here is some simple math. 2+4+2=?
I am sure it is not 6. It seems to be 8 days. If the Qur'an is pefect, why does it have 8 days, contradicting all the other verses?
nandiasss

Con

nandiasss forfeited this round.
Bordenkircher

Pro

Here is another contradiction:
What was life made of?

"Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe? (21:30)."\

When did every living thing exclude Jinn:
"And He created Jinns from fire free of smoke (55:15)"

and Humans:
"He created man from sounding clay like unto pottery (55:14)"

The Qur'an cannot keep itself consistant.
nandiasss

Con

nandiasss forfeited this round.
Bordenkircher

Pro

I am assuming that Con has forfeited this debate.
nandiasss

Con

nandiasss forfeited this round.
Posted by SkepticLankan 4 years ago
SkepticLankan
It is pretty obvious that the Quran is like the Bible, both contradict each other and themselves, and not just that, it contradicts science as well. It is time to categorise both these books as fairy tales and move on with our science
Posted by simpleman 4 years ago
simpleman
I am excited to see your debate. One topic I suggest you include is why the need for abrogation of any verse in the Qur'an would be necessary if the whole book is perfect.