Esiar
Commondebator

The Qur'an Misrepresents Christianity

Commondebator

Esiar

Pro

Lots of verses leaves Muslims to misunderstand what Christians actually believe.

Surah 6:106 says "He is the Originator of the heavens and the earth. How can He have children when He has no wife? He created all things and He is the All-Knower of everything.". Firstly, since Allah can see without eyes, he should be able to have a child without a wife. Secondly, Christians do not say God had children in the sense this verse says. God's "children" are his creations, and Jesus (Who is eternal, meaning God didn't need a wife to have him).

Part of 4:171 says, "And do not say, "Three"; desist - it is better for you. Indeed, Allah is but one God.". Christians believe in one God (Mark 12:29, Deuteronomy 6:4, Isaiah 45:5, 1 Timothy 2:5)

Sura 5:73 says, "They have certainly disbelieved who say, " Allah is the third of three." And there is no god except one God.". Christians do not believe that God is the third of three. They believe that God is all three.
Commondebator

Con

I thank my opponent for creating this debate, however I would like to ask my opponent on exactly how those are misrepresentations. I will perform rebuttals later, however for now I will provide my definition.

Misrepresentation: To describe (someone or something) in a false way especially in order to deceive someone : to give someone a false idea about (something or someone)

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

C.1 Both religions come from the same root

Christianity and Islam share a historical and traditional connection, with some stark theological differences. The two faiths share a common origin in the Middle East and are often considered Abrahamic religions. Christianity developed out of Judaism in the 1st century C.E. It is founded on the life, teachings, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and those who follow him are called Christians. While Muslims follow the teachings of Muhammad. Both religions acknowledge Muhammad and Jesus, however the two religions believe that those two people played different roles (1)

What does this mean? Since both religions came from the same root, neither one of them are describing the other religion falsely. Both religions come from the same root and acknowledge and another. Neither one of them truly “Misrepresent” according to the definition

That was really all for my case. Now moving all for rebuttals.

R.1

So my opponent goes on and talks about the Qur’an. His argument (he does not have a clear resolution) talks about how the people misrepresent, not the texts. Which is irrelevant. Furthermore, he gives no sources about people misrepresenting.

On to you Pro

Esiar

Pro

When I said "Misrepresent", I meant, "Describes something incorrectly." (That's how I use the word), so using the word "Mispresent was a slight mistake.

While Christianity and Islam have similar origins, the Qur'an's text describes Christianity incorrectly. I showed Sura 4:171, 5:73, and 6:106 to show my point.
Commondebator

Con

For some reason, my opponent is blaming me for his/her wrong use of the term. This is very unfair to the debate.

"And do not say, "Three"; desist - it is better for you. Indeed, Allah is but one God"-Sura 4:171

"They have certainly disbelieved who say, " Allah is the third of three." And there is no god except one God."

Ok so, how is this a misrepresentation? This is more of a coincidence that both religions require worship one god. In fact, the Qur'an does even mention Christianity! So it cannot be a misrepresentation of christianity!

All this shows is that Christanity and Islam are similar, not a misrepresentation. . .
Esiar

Pro

The Qur'an does mention Christianity.

Sura 9:30 says, "the Christians say, "The Messiah is the son of Allah .".

I'll give further explanation to my original points, and put in new points.

Surah 6:106 - "He is the Originator of the heavens and the earth. How can He have children when He has no wife? He created all things and He is the All-Knower of everything.".

Christians believe God has children (Pslam 82:6, Luke 3:38, John 3:16, Acts 17:29, 1 John 3:1), and the Qur'an says, "How can He have children when He has no wife?". The question towards people who believe that God has children (Like Christians) is a strawman (Probably unintentional), because Christians do not believe that God has children in the sense humans do.

Part of Surah 4:171 - "And do not say, "Three"; desist - it is better for you. Indeed, Allah is but one God.". It's implying that there are a group of people who say God is 3 (Which is more likely than not the doctrine of the Trinity), and the Qur'an rebukes and corrects them, and says "Allah is but one God.". This is not correcting any of the Trinitarians who said "Three", because they already believed in one God. To say, "This is more of a coincidence that both religions require worship one god." is not accurate, because the Qur'an wasn't saying that Christians believe in one God.

Surah 5:73 - "They have certainly disbelieved who say, " Allah is the third of three." And there is no god except one God.".". The author of the Qur'an is making an assumption that Christians believe that "Allah is the third of three", and corrects them and says there is only one God. The problem, is that Christians don't believe that God is the third of three, and they believe in one God, thus making the correction absolutely irrelevant and incorrect.

Surah 5:18 - "But the Jews and the Christians say, "We are the children of Allah and His beloved." Say, "Then why does He punish you for your sins?". This doesn't give false assumptions about the beliefs of Christianity, but it makes it look like the Christians cannot give an answer to this question (Also, here's another place where Christianity is mentioned). If a Muslim would actually ask this, a Christian would respond, "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth." (Hebrews 12:6).

Surah 6:106 - Either generalizing Christians with people who think God/s can have children like a man, or making a false assumption about Christianity (Both are inaccurate).

Surah 4:171 - Either generalizing Christians with people who think God/s can have children like a man, or making a false assumption about Christianity (Both are inaccurate).

Surah 5:73 - A (probably unintentional) straw-man argument against Christianity.

Surah 5:18 - Only giving one side of the argument, thus making it look like Christians cannot defend their position (Look at Proverbs 18:17 on what a Christian would also quote along with Hebrews 12:6)
Commondebator

Con

Christianity and Islam come from the same origins, as I have mentioned before.

I stated before that the two religions acknowledge the prophets and their ideas. They are both Abrahamic religions, and come from the same roots.

I apologize for my previous argument. I was referring to how Qur'an does not directly misrepresent Christianity.

All my opponent's claims are assumptions, not direct Misrepresentations. None of these texts describe Christianity in a false way for deceiving or to give a false idea. Both religions use god (or Allah) as their supreme being, so it is not surprising that they have similar rules, yet contradicting one another.

Which brings up another point. Contradiction does not mean misrepresentation, and my opponent has derived these "Misrepresentations" from assumptions.
Esiar

Pro

Like I said, "When I said "Misrepresent", I meant, "Describes something incorrectly." (That's how I use the word)". I've always used the word incorrectly, so you should not use my error of misusing the word against me. Please just disregard that, and go on with the debate of how I was attempting to define it, so we can make more progress.

I never in my opening statement that the author of the Qur'an purposely made a straw-man argument against Christianity to deceive people, only "Lots of verses leaves Muslims to misunderstand what Christians actually believe.", which is obviously true, because many Muslims interpret Surah 4:171, 5:73, and 6:106 to be speaking of Trinitarian Christians. That's why so many Muslims say that Christians are polytheists. Why, again? Because those verses leaves Muslims to misunderstand what Christians actually believe.

The meaning I was trying to convey is, "The Qu'ran Describes Christianity Incorrectly". Of course Islam and Christianity contradict each other, and have similar origins, but these things have nothing to do with Islam's Qur'an describing the fundamental beliefs of Christianity incorrectly.

Since I claimed that lots of verses in the Qur'an leave Muslims to misunderstand what Christians actually believe, and showed that Surah 4:171, 5:73, 6:106 heavily imply that Christians are polytheist and believe God sired Jesus (Since it says, "How can God have chidren if he has no wife?" and "Do not say 'Three', because Allah is only one God." and "There is no God but one God."), which is exactly why many Muslims believe Christians are polytheist and believe that God sired Jesus (By the way, since it is heavily implied, and tons of Muslims interpret it the way I do, It's right, since the Qur'an is a very clear book according to Surah 3:7). These things "Descibe Christianity Incorrectly", and "leave Muslims to misunderstand what Christians actually believe."
Commondebator

Con

Now, this is quite unfair since my opponent did not describe the definition. Now, I accepted this debate into thinking that my opponent was using the term correctly. Anyway, I will have to continue.

Now, my opponent has to objectively prove that the Qur'an is misrepresenting Christianity as per his BOP. He has to do this without using implications.

Now, it could also be that the Qur'an is correct. Christians may actually be polytheists, even though the Bible says otherwise. It does not mean that what the Bible says is true, since the Qur'an has pretty much proven otherwise.
Esiar

Pro

The Qur'an isn't correct: Manuscripts show that the Old Testament has been the same for over 2,000 years, and the earliest New Testament manuscripts are from the second century (All the errors, if any, could be fixed by looking back at the original text.).

Since Christians believe the Old and New Testament's, they can't possibly be Polytheist like the Qur'an heavily implies (Which like I said, since it is heavily implied, and tons of Muslims interpret it the way, It's right, since the Qur'an is a very clear book according to Surah 3:7). The Bible teaches Monotheism, and there are no records of it ever teaching otherwise in the past, making Islam's claim that Bible-believing people are Polytheist false, because Polytheism is not Biblical.
Commondebator

Con

My opponent's arguments are very confusing to some degree.

However, I will continue to rebut them.

If the MUSLIMS interpret the wrong about Christianity, then it is the MUSLIMS that are misrepresenting Christianity. Not the Qur'an.

As my opponent said, the Qur'an only "heavily" IMPLIES. Therefore, It does not truly MISREPRESENT.

And, irrelevant to the argument, it may be that christians are Polytheist, but the Bible has it wrong about Christianity. So, my opponent really makes no valid point there.

And as for the "Misrepresentation" that is somehow implied (which is impossible to prove because it order to objectively prove that it misrepresents something, you can not base your arguments off of implications) it is the Muslims that are interpreting Christianity, not the Qur'an.
Posted by Commondebator 1 year ago
Commondebator
Damn I JUST won this?
Posted by Esiar 2 years ago
Esiar
@Tweka
The Qur'an and Bible come from similar roots, but no Muslim who reads the Qur'an only and never looks at Christian sources would understand what Christianity is in the slightest. It's not that they contradict eachother: It's that the Qur'an says things that obviously apply to Christianity (Like Sura 5:73), and say Christians say one thing, when they say another things. Therefore Muslims don't understand what Christianity is and teaches, because the author of the Qur'an didn't either.
Posted by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
This debate is really confusing but I will address how Con won this. Firstly, Pro defined Christian God as the creator of everything. If he can create, then he can have everything regardless of wife, pets and whatsoever that he wishes to do. Pro shows that the Qurans make people to misunderstand Christianity. Whereas, Con shows that they are coming from the same root and has the acknowledgement of each other. It is the people who misunderstands that Quran and causes misinterpretations. How can Quran cause misrepresents Christianity since they both as described by Con comes from the same root. Pro spends his whole debate concerning that there are many contradictions between Bible and Quran. Con points out this in his Round 3. For Pro to take down this, he must shows that there are many wrongly interpretations. I feel that Pro misinterprets the Bible. Con shows that they are having the same origins. That said, both either shall be true or false.
Vote Placed by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
EsiarCommondebatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Comments