SouljaOfTheTruth
zanemuffin

The RFID Chip serves no valuable purpose.

SouljaOfTheTruth has forfeited round #2.
Started: 8/29/2017 Category: Technology

SouljaOfTheTruth

Pro

Greetings to my opponent, and welcome.

*All opinions shall be respected.*

This device in today's Society known as the RFID Chip is apparently our new way of life in the Future.

My argument on this Topic:

All though it's your giving choice (For now) to obtain the device if you wish, but what purpose does this device necessarily serve? Rumor has it that the device will be a new way for the safety of Children, they couldn't make a special bracelet? They say the device holds information such as Driver's Licenses and Medical Records, and Bank Balance as well, I thought that was kept on file? This device apparently can read your thoughts to prevent Terrorist Attacks, but behind all Technology there's always a Hacker, wouldn't this be your main concern? Not only can they steal your identity or gain access to all your personal information, but now they're able to read your thoughts. I figured tracking down everyone's movement, calls, and messages was good enough but apparently this device can save one's life.
zanemuffin

Con

Thank you for creating this debate; I am looking forward to participating.

I will start by going through your argument point-by-point, and refuting each.

1. "Rumor has it that the device will be a new way for the safety of Children, they couldn't make a special bracelet?"

As you suggest, an RFID chip need not be implanted, and a bracelet would probably work fine. Either way, we would rely on the same type of chip for the functionality. Unless you are arguing specifically against implanted chips (which is not stated), this doesn't seem to advance your position. Either way, a large advantage of an implanted chip is that it will not easily be lost or forgotten.

2. "They say the device holds information such as Driver's Licenses and Medical Records, and Bank Balance as well, I thought that was kept on file?"

There would effectively be two ways to handle this. One would be to keep the data itself stored as it currently is, and simply store a unique reference ID on the chip itself. In order to access the information, you would scan the RFID chip and obtain the ID which would then be used to pull up the pertinent data. This would likely be a more efficient way to handle data storage, as it avoids any constraints of the chip hardware itself in terms of capacity. It would also be possible to store the data directly on the chip itself. Regardless of where or how this information is stored, an RFID chip makes it much more convenient to access. No longer must you carry a driver's license or ID with you. Get pulled over? Officer scans your RFID chip. Need to confirm your age at a bar? RFID chip. As you mention this could work well for medical records as well. If you are incapacitated in some way with no traditional form of ID, the medical staff can pull up your records by scanning the chip. For monetary transactions, you no longer need a credit card or checks, just use the RFID chip.

3. "This device apparently can read your thoughts to prevent Terrorist Attacks"

I am not aware of an RFID chip that reads your thoughts, and am fairly certain this does not exist. If it does, please provide a source. Even if this technology existed and could be paired with RFID in some way, it would be outside the technological realm of RFID anyway, which is the topic of this debate.

4. "behind all Technology there's always a Hacker, wouldn't this be your main concern? Not only can they steal your identity or gain access to all your personal information, but now they're able to read your thoughts."

This is a fair point, however many (if not all) of the technologies and forms of identification that RFID would replace have the same issue. RFID is able to actually add a level of security in two ways. First of all, with an implanted chip, you no longer have to worry about losing your wallet, as it is effectively a part of your body. Also, credit cards as they are currently implemented in the US (reading data from magnetic strips - susceptible to skimming) are notoriously insecure (though this is improving with new technologies, including RFID). RFID chips are able to prevent data being stolen directly, using security techniques such as challenge-response authentication. My response from #3 stands as to reading thoughts.

I think I have made a clear response to each of your arguments that not only invalidates them, but also clearly demonstrates the advantages of RFID technology.