stilldirrtyja
CaptainTrips

"The Real World," most infamous reality show ever to hit television has been on steady decline.

stilldirrtyja

Pro

I don't think anyone can argue the fact that "The Real World" is one of the greatest television shows of all time. Its' importance to popular culture is undeniable, leading the way to the creation of the majority of reality shows that are out now. From its diverse characters to its shocking fights, "The Real World" captivated viewers from the first episode. But where did it go wrong?

As a former, avid fan of "The Real World," I am highly upset and disappointed with the seasons they have now. The basis of the show is simple: putting seven strangers together who are very different backgrounds and see how they would react to one another when living in the same house. Obviously, this is not the case anymore.

I believe the show went downhill after "The Real World: Chicago;" This was the last season where there was a great diversity amongst the characters. From Theo who came from a religious and black-culture dominated background, to Tonya who grew up in foster care and was the slut of the group with countless health problems. There was Anessa who never felt accepted in her life because of both being a lesbian and bi-racial. THIS IS DIVERSITY!

Now, on "The Real World: Sydney," you have Cohutta the southern gentleman and Dunbar who is pretty much the same thing except he has a girlfriend. You have Kellye Anne who is a slut, and Trisha who is a slut who happens to be a Christian. I mean seriously, where's the diversity? What's so different about these characters?

I would like to see "The Real World" to go back to its' original mission. I know I can guarantee myself that anytime I tune into the show there will be all of the following: drinking, sex and meaningless fighting.
CaptainTrips

Con

First of all, to anyone who thinks that the Real World is a great show needs to die. You can't exclaim the decline of something that burst into the scene as a ragging piece of crap in the very first place.

Decline implies moving away from something good or better into something worse, and I contend that the Real World when it first aired was the worst show on television, and there's no way you can decline from "absolute worst".
stilldirrtyja

Pro

To say The Real World wasn't a good show at all is just plain ludicrous. I know there are millions of people in the U.S. and around the world who would strongly disagree with your statements.

The Real World has been charged with being one of the first mediums where very controversial issues such as racism, HIV/AIDS and homosexuality were able to be explored. Furthermore, this allowed for an opening of discussions and dialogue with viewers of the show including many celebrities and common folk alike. Even President Bill Clinton praised The Real World for its' braveness and exploring the aforementioned issues and more.

The Real World has influenced and allowed for the creation of many of the reality shows that millions of people enjoy today including Survivor, Big Brother, Laguna Beach, The Hills, etc. Pretty much every reality show on television right now owes a thanks to The Real World for paving the way.

Also, The Real World provided material for many other shows including Saturday Night Live, Charmed, Scrubs, Law & Order, Dawson's Creek and countless other shows. Even Drawn Together, a popular cartoon show on The Cartoon Network, is directly based off The Real World except it has cartoon characters instead of real life people.
CaptainTrips

Con

Oh wow, so we have Laguna Beach AND Dawson's Creek to thank 'The Real World' for, well, let me just admit defeat right here. Are you really serious? Can your taste be this bad? The Real World is the worst trash on television that spawned an entire sub-genre of trash made by lazy people designed to put a lot of unsavory, hyper-aggressive, and horridly slutty people all together to see the monkey fights that break out between them.

It appeals to the lowest possible common denominator and that's why it's so popular, it's the same reason why Alvin and the Chipmunks is getting world wide release and movies like "There Will Be Blood" are only paying in two theatres in the whole country.

The entire concept behind the real world is just to throw a bunch of mongoloids together in a sack and shack the sack to see who fights who and who has sex with who. It's pathetic and only pathetic people find it entertaining.
stilldirrtyja

Pro

The purpose of this debate isn't to argue if The Real World is a good show or not, it is to argue if you believe the show is in a decline/has changed drastically from what it used to be. Seriously, I don't know why you decided to have this debate with me if you weren't even a fan of the show. I think that I made it pretty obvious in the description and with my opening argument what this debate should be about.

However, I do agree with you that the current seasons of The Real World appeals to the lowest common denominator with its' trashy characters and even trashier scenarios. "There Will Be Blood" is a fantastic movie and I would love for other people to be able to see how good it is but that's the way popular culture is: You make money off what you think and know will sell; it doesn't really matter about the message. This same thing can be said about The Real World now which is sad.
CaptainTrips

Con

CaptainTrips forfeited this round.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I will say that although I agree that the Real World is all about sex and alcohol now , that I do think some good has come out of the show. Also captain trips , I think your comment that anyone who thinks the show is great should die was immature and not good debating at all. I will say that the Real World , I believe it was San Fransisco ,was good in that Pedro was on it and I believe it was helpful in people understanding gay people and AIDS better. I honestly learned more tolerance from watching him on that season of The Real World and I think it helped so many people that live with AIDS and opened peoples eyes to the AIDS epidemic. Although there is still an epidemic and still struggles with Gay issues. I think his being on the show was a great thing. I know I cried when he died and have alot more tolerance thanks to seeing him on the show.
Vote Placed by U.n 11 months ago
U.n
stilldirrtyjaCaptainTripsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by CaptainTrips 9 years ago
CaptainTrips
stilldirrtyjaCaptainTripsTied
Vote Placed by solo 9 years ago
solo
stilldirrtyjaCaptainTripsTied
Vote Placed by stilldirrtyja 9 years ago
stilldirrtyja
stilldirrtyjaCaptainTripsTied
Vote Placed by aaeap2 9 years ago
aaeap2
stilldirrtyjaCaptainTripsTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
stilldirrtyjaCaptainTripsTied