The Redemption By Christ Gives License to Sin

kat.duff has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

1st Round: Acceptance only
2nd & 3rd Rounds: Argument and rebuttal
4th Round: Summation

I will take the Con position being, the redemption by Christ does not give license to (authorize) sin (behavior offensive to God). Pro will argue that as a result of the redemption by Christ, sin can no longer lead to the loss of Heaven as long as one believes the Redemption took place..

Accepting means pro and con both stipulate to the existence of the things enumerated in the previous paragraph, i.e., this is a debate between Christians.

Once you have been redeemed by Christ and taken him into your heart once you realise that he died for you, you can still sin but it is frowned upon. Obviously we are all humans and we all sin but God does not take away the privilege of going to heaven away if you have sinned. Christians should try to be the best that they can and worship Jesus as their saviour but everyone makes mistakes and everyone is going to disobey their parents or disobey the teacher or swear as it is just human nature on the serpent gave Eve the piece of fruit off the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Eve gave the fruit to Adam and as soon as he too a bite out of that apple they had sinned and come short of the glory of God. Adam and Eve gave birth to children and Cain killed Able and he was given the mark of the beast, a mark put on one's body so no one would kill them. The Lord took mercy on Cain by putting this mark on him. No one knows if Cain went to heaven or hell so it will be a mystery until the Christians are taken to heaven.

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate topic. I look forward to the discussion to follow.

I argue that the redemption of Christ is not a license to sin, and this is in no ways the intention of His suffering for sin, nor has it been the position of Christendom from its beginning. The sufferings of Christ on our behalf are sufficient for the paying of our ransom, but it does not authorize the commission of offenses against God.

Scripture (1)

“Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.” (2);

“And whosoever doth not carry his cross and come after me, cannot be my disciple.” (3);

From the context, these clearly indicate taking up our cross daily and following Him in spirit, as we are obviously not daily crucified. There is more, then, that must be done by us in order to avail ourselves of what He has done:

“But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?” (4)

“Do you see that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only?” (5)

What are these works which must be done in addition to faith if not, first and foremost, to avoid offending Him through sin, for which we are still accountable? “Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.” (6) From this it is clear that sin is not always forgiven even when submitted to those appointed power to forgive them. But how would this forgiving or retaining sins be possible if the redemption gave license to commit them in the first place? Perhaps the clearest expression that His sacrifice was not a license to sin comes from the words of Christ Himself: “Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and cast out devils in thy name, and done many miracles in thy name? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity.” (7)

It is incompatible with the idea of God that Christ suffered for the sins of mankind in order to permit man to sin to his satiation. The implication in this is that offenses against God are no longer offensive to Him, and are now permitted; or that they are no longer offenses at all, as we are free to do them, and then the redemption was an unnecessary act on the part of Christ.
The Christian concept of God is of a God Who is the fulness of perfection. The idea that the redemption of Christ is license to sin is a result of attributing to God an imperfection-a failing in His Justice. It is the attribution to Him of mercy at the expense of justice. As He is perfect He contains the perfection of both qualities. It is proper then that His justice require full satisfaction, which could only be accomplished by Christ. This sacrifice satisfies both His justice and His mercy. But neither is suspended after the redemption. He did not subsequently become a much changed God Who permits us to do as we please, even to offend Him without giving offense. This also attributes to Him another failing which would make Him less than perfect, i.e., mutability, whereas He is immutable. (8)

It also stands to reason that attempting to claim license to sin as a result of the satisfaction of it by Christ is a sure sign of contempt of God, which would allow one to try to find a loophole to avoid doing good and permit doing evil. The redemptive quality of Christ’s sacrifice is applied to those who have sorrow for sin accompanied by a resolution to sin no more. Without the resolve to avoid sin, there is no real sorrow for it. “And the scribes and the Pharisees bring unto him a woman taken in adultery: and they set her in the midst, And said to him: Master, this woman was even now taken in adultery. Now Moses in the law commanded us to stone such a one. But what sayest thou?

And this they said tempting him, that they might accuse him. But Jesus bowing himself down, wrote with his finger on the ground. When therefore they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said to them: He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again stooping down, he wrote on the ground. But they hearing this, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest. And Jesus alone remained, and the woman standing in the midst. Then Jesus lifting up himself, said to her: Woman, where are they that accused thee? Hath no man condemned thee?

Who said: No man, Lord. And Jesus said: Neither will I condemn thee. Go, and now sin no more.” If sin is licensed why would he then command her to sin no more?

Pro admits that sin is “frowned upon” and that “we all make mistakes”. This is a euphemistic way of expressing that sin is not licensed, as Con argues. Anyone, as long as they have life in them, can avail themselves of the gift of the redemption. Those who accept the fact that Christ died for sin, yet continue to sin without effort to change, try to be saved by faith alone without works, without taking up their cross daily, and simply say, “Lord, Lord”. This will not suffice.

Sin is not licensed by the redemptive work of Christ. Con makes the case in opposition to Pro’s argument.

Source: Douay-Rheims translation from the Latin Vulgate (available online at )
Matthew 16:24
Luke 14:27
James 2:20
James 2:24
John 20:23
Matthew 7:21-23
John 8:3-11

My opponent has made a very good argument and this will be tough to follow, they sound like they know the Bible well.

I am a 13 year old Christian (Brethren) who doesn't know as much about the Bible as I could, but I will try my best

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3 v 16.

This shows us that that God sent his son to die for us. To die for me, to die for you, to die for my English teacher. "...should not perish, but have everlasting life." this tells us that the Lord came down for us and dies on the cross for us and that is we accept him into our hearts that we would not die, we would not perish, but that we would live forever one we die.

No, being saved does not give us as humans the right to go and murder, or commit adultery. Even if we do, do these things, God will not take away the privilege of heaven away from us. Jesus died for us once, we only have to do one thing to be able to go to heaven. We have to take him as our own and let him be inside our hearts. If we, as humans do that one thing, then we will be able to live our lives knowing that if the Lords comes today, we will be ready, waiting for him with open arms. We don't have to go to church, we don't have to pray everyday, we don't have to give money to the church to be saved or to "stay" saved we need to say one prayer and that's it. It is good if you do pray every day and go to church every Sunday or give money to the church, but it is not necessary. No minister or priest can save you. your Sunday school teacher can't save you. You and you alone are the only thing that will save you.

Verse from John ch 3 v 16, King James Version (Authorised).

Pro: {"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3 v 16.}

Were we to take this one sentence from Christ to the exclusion of all others, it would seem to give license to sin. However, even before we see that He Himself has shown that was not the meaning, we know if we truly wish to serve God, that nothing would give us license to offend Him. I would redirect to the statements of Christ shown in Round #2. When all of these statements are taken together and all are admittedly true, they must have a reasonable meaning in which all can hold true. Thus, when Christ said God gave his only begotten son that those who believe in him would not perish, we must, in light of everything he said, expect this belief is accompanied by enough knowledge of Him to make us desire to do good, rather than look for permission to sin. “Afterwards, Jesus findeth him in the temple, and saith to him: Behold thou art made whole: sin no more, lest some worse thing happen to thee.” (1) These cures were not performed for the sake of some circus show. Their aim was twofold: 1st, to show His power and authority in speaking, and 2nd, to provide a spiritual lesson. The lesson above is that when once cured (of sin), we are to sin no more, lest some worse thing (damnation) happen to us. After Christ’s death, as early as St. Paul, it is taught that the redemption does not give license to sin. “What then? Shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.” (2) This unambiguously contradicts the notion that we may now sin, as Christ has paid for it in advance. Another clear text from Christ, showing the punishment which awaits those, even who believe in Him, but obey not His law:

“For I tell you, that unless your justice abound more than that of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. You have heard that it was said to them of old: Thou shalt not kill. And whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment. But I say to you, that whosoever is angry with his brother, shall be in danger of the judgment. And whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council. And whosoever shall say, Thou Fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. If therefore thou offer thy gift at the altar, and there thou remember that thy brother hath any thing against thee; Leave there thy offering before the altar, and go first to be reconciled to thy brother: and then coming thou shalt offer thy gift. Be at agreement with thy adversary betimes, whilst thou art in the way with him: lest perhaps the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison. Amen I say to thee, thou shalt not go out from thence till thou repay the last farthing. You have heard that it was said to them of old: Thou shalt not commit adultery. But I say to you, that whosoever shall look on a woman to lust after her, hath already committed adultery with her in his heart. And if thy right eye scandalize thee, pluck it out and cast it from thee. For it is expedient for thee that one of thy members should perish, rather than that thy whole body be cast into hell. And if thy right hand scandalize thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is expedient for thee that one of thy members should perish, rather than that thy whole body be cast into hell.” (3)

In the first line, He warns with the punishment of loss of Heaven for lack of justice. This has no bearing on belief in Him. He goes on to enumerate several faults which can exist alongside belief in Him, and can lead to hell.

It is inconceivable with the notion of a just God that He would wish to unleash the evil into the world of mankind licensed to commit every imaginable evil without any consequence. The complete anarchy and abuse of man by man as a result could not have possibly been His goal. The fruit of His redemptive work is available to all who avail themselves of it by making every effort to leave off sin and do good daily, as He commanded those who wish to follow Him. Judas Iscariot, one of His twelve apostles, who betrayed Him the night before His death, believed in Him. Yet hear was Christ said regarding this one who believed in Him, but died unrepentant: “While I was with them, I kept them in thy name. Those whom thou gavest me have I kept; and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition, that the scripture may be fulfilled.” (4) To the Christian this is irrefutable proof that Judas was lost despite belief in Christ. *

1. 1. John 5:14

1. 2. Romans 6:15

1. 3. Matthew 5:20-30

1. 4. John 17:12

*Scriptural references are sourced from, the online copy of the Douay-Rheims Bible

Posted by the_dark_night 1 month ago
I have a story from my childhood

I really wanted a bike when i was little so i prayed to god for one, as i kind of expected he didnt give me one, and then I remembered how god works, so the next day I stole a bike and asked for gods forgivness

moral of the story: prayer doesnt work and god allowes sin willingly