james94
wingnut2280

The Republican and Democratic Candidates.

Con Tied Pro

james94

Con

None of the candidates of either side have really brought out what they stand for , so we as constituants are undecided voters. For example they do not talk about the regulation of gas prices.They also do not talk about affordable Health Care.They are not really speaking out about what issues are facing our country.This debate is about the candidates not really facing the issues and telling us what they think we want to hear.
wingnut2280

Pro

I agree in a sense. But, I think they are making progress. The common voter has to do a lot of work to cut through the rhetoric and get to the substance of what they are talking about. I think this year is different because, when the candidates get done squabbling over meaningless details in each others personal records, there is some conversation on policy issues, at least to some degree.

If you watched the Dem debate Mon. night, you could get some vital information, but you have to watch carefully. there are not really fundamental answers to questions, but little sidenotes that voters should pay attention to.

For instance, during the healthcare discussion, Obama and Edwards were squabbling over what universal really meant, or something ridiculous, and then something interesting happened. One of those little sidebar pieces of info crept out. Obama said that Edwards would withhold money from people's paychecks in order to ensure madatory healthcare. Edwards nodded in agreement. This means Edwards is OK with the fact that he would FORCE people to get healthcare, regardless of whether or not they could afford it or desire it at all.

Also, you have to learn the lingo. Terms like "create government revenue" is just another way of saying raise taxes. And "universal mandate" is a pretty way of saying "the government is going to make you".

If you are a more educated voter and watch them speak with an open mind, you can gain some insight past the public persona.

I think we are hearing an outcry to cut the political BS from voters that we haven't seen before. The candidates are responding to this, at least to a degree.

I'm not really sure what your argument is, so if you could clarify, that would be great.
james94

Con

Wingnut2280, What I was simply stating is that none of the candidates are telling us that they want to regulate gas prices. Also no one is really speaking about the issues that face America today. They just want to squabble amongst themselves. What about Health care and educationfor our children. The Republicans want to take Health Care away from our children so that they can look good in politics.Health Care should be for all children not just those who are rich. To clarify what I am debating you about is that I feel that the candidates need to focus on what the issues facing America are.
wingnut2280

Pro

I think they are doing so. There are always going to be personal attacks in politics, but the debates and speaches address the issues well. The media doesn't focus on the policy differences, they focus on things that will sell news, like personal attacks and bickering.

Last week, Obama and Clinton were campaigning in Nevada. Instead of covering the differences in policy, the news spent all day every day covering 'race in the campaign'. Its not the candidates who aren't addressing the issues. The media is simply covering the Jerry Springer aspect of the debate.
james94

Con

In the last round we spoke about candidates not focusing on the issues at hand. They tell us what they think we want to hear. That's nice in some respects, but as a voter I would rather them tell us the truth than lie to us. Next please

Going on with other thoughts , Again I repeat my question on Health Care for all Americans Where is it? Do only the rich get it ? I don't think so. Also the Issue of Iraq I think that we should finish the job we started due to the fact that we are in their country to help defend them .Next thought

Aghanistan is not where we should be at this time due to the fact that we have no reason to be there . You made a statement in the last round that I would to address. You asked me to watch the debates correct? Why should I listen to the candidates bicker and squabble for 2hrs, when they could be telling the American people how they will fix the problems facing us in the world we live in today. Next thought. Here is food for thought. If the gas prices go up will you be able to put gas in your vehicle to drive to work or your children to school , I think not . That is what the candidates fail to comprehend.What I do know is that without fuel people will not be able to heat their homes or drive their vehicles. These are just some of the talking points there are more points than that . For instance how will a mother of 4 feed her children with no more than very little clean water and peanut butter that is what some fanilies have for weeks at a time. That is not much for the rich man but for that poor family that is all that they have to eat all week until the mother gets paid. Let's talk about affordable Health Care . Affordable Health Care would mean that all Americans could afford to pay for decent Health Care. Going on to my next point, troops in Iraq should not be pulled out because they need us to help defend them and keep them stable.Those are my arguments. Goingon to my next thought.The Democrats just want to raise taxes to make themselves look good in politics and the government which would be our downfall.
wingnut2280

Pro

What are you talking about? This started as a debate about whether or not candidates cover the issues and has turned into a platform for you to voice your personal views.

As far as the debate is concerned, you don't answer any of my points. There will always be bickering, but the candidates DO have real policy discussions. All along the campaign trail each candidate cites several specific solutions to the problems you so eloquently noted. The typical voter doesn't hear much of it because Anderson Cooper and the like insist on covering the 'race war' and other insignificant issues.

While the candidates do bicker sometimes, the media is largely to blame for their paparazziesque coverage of the campaign. You have given me NO reason to think otherwise.
Posted by Wierdkp326 9 years ago
Wierdkp326
This debate when in circles. James94, you really need to watch the debates more carefully or look up the candidates' views on their web site. All the information is out there. The candidates have had the discussions on Iraq and Health care very frequently, you just need to sit through the debates.
Posted by patrock2 9 years ago
patrock2
I agree with wingnut-this debate has degenerated into ramblings from James 94. I too would like to hear what specifically these candidates will do to address our foreign policies/relations, our domestic/economic policies, healthcare. Everyone LOVES Barak, yet I have not heard him put forth ONE substantive plan about anything. Oh sure he has highly optimistic rhetoric-sounds like an animated preacher trying to strike a Dr. Martin Luther King stance-sorry Barak You are NOT Martin Luther King. Actually Obama reminds me of John Edwards last run for President. All optimism and hope- no substance. I liked Edwards then because his optimism was refreshing and the only bright notes in that presidential campaign. In 2008 Edwards has more bite, but to quote an old commercial-"Where's the Beef?"-
I personally think Clinton and Edwards would make a powerful President/Vice president team. While Hillary isn't perfect by a long shot I do believe her vast experience in and around Washington DC and on the world stage will serve her well regarding how to get things done in Washington...
While Barak's background causes me great concern. I wonder who the true power brokers behind him are...trilateral commission perhaps?
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
james94wingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by james94 9 years ago
james94
james94wingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by Wierdkp326 9 years ago
Wierdkp326
james94wingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by patrock2 9 years ago
patrock2
james94wingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by booyaka 9 years ago
booyaka
james94wingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by malmal16 9 years ago
malmal16
james94wingnut2280Tied