Octavion
Capitalistslave

The Roman Empire is the best empire of the ancient and classical eras (Includes monarchy, republic)

Capitalistslave has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Octavion

Pro

1st round will be an acknowledgement of positions, and the accepting of debating this topic.
Capitalistslave

Con

I accept this debate. If you're limiting this debate to classical and ancient times, then I will be arguing that the Achaemenid and Xiongnu empires were better than the Roman Empire. You are limiting it to those time periods, correct?
Octavion

Pro

Thank you for accepting.

The Roman Empire expanded across Europe including former empires of Greece, Macedon, Persia, and Carthage and commanding several nomadic tribes as well as notable tribes such as the Goths. When the Empire was first founded or recognized as an empire was really in the first Punic wars where they fought Carthage, whilst not until the second Punic wars where they really took the victory and defeated Carthage they repelled an unarguably greater strength at the time. On the contrary, romans have had several losses such as the need to construct the Hadrian's Wall to repel the northern tribes of Britannica. While I recognize these defeats the Romans always triumphed over them creating a win out of a loss. While they failed to conquer northern Britannica they recognized the fact it was not worth the hard fighting it would require such as the fact the land was not as great as southern Britain.

Secondly, The Roman Empire produced several notable leaders such as Octavion (Augustus), Julius Caesar, or even Cicero. All of these men helped pave the way to the future. Whether through sheer force of the military to the art of politics. The Roman Empire not only produced these people but it also shaped others. Sure, there were a few infamous leaders such as Nero, but these leaders also had a right to lead. They managed to climb to the top of the system beating their rivals. That is an accomplishment within itself. Not saying I would support them I'm saying that it is impressive that they managed to beat the system like that. Furthermore, The soldiers of Rome were a quite impressive feat. They fought to the death whilst remaining quite greedy. Again, there are those few who decided to run away but that only proves the fact that they were human and they had a life.

Thirdly, I will address warfare, the Romans revolutionized warfare producing several victories and paving the way to the modern tactics and strategies. The Romans adapted to their foes, a famous example would be Scippio and Cumae (Sorry for spelling) But, he managed to turn from a major defeat in one battle to the same tactic in another granting him a larger victory. Where the Romans lost in a battle they made up for it in the war. To mention the Greeks and Persians whom you are bound to mention, they fought several battles and the Persians ended up losing the war to what, a third party Macedon. The Persians managed to lose because they failed to recognize that their navy relied not on their ability at sea but their ability at land, they had to land on the shore to resupply, that is where Alexander managed to defeat Persia. With a unified Greece they were a power to be reckoned with, and that stopped their because they stopped developing. They stuck with the same technology of heavy infantry and that didn't progress causing a downward spiral. Now, Roma on the other hand, Sure they are known for their hastate (Frontline heavy infantry), But this isn't what won them wars, no, it was their adaptation abilities much like the Assyrians. When fighting Carthage they had an inferior navy, so they brought it to land. When fighting Spain (Tribes in modern day Spain and Portugal) They were undersupplied. Matter of fact, the Senate elected senators with legions to go to Spain so they couldn't attend meetings. Yet with all the politics involved, Roma prevailed striking down the tribes, using them against themselves and bribing their way to the top. In Gaul (modern day France/ Western Europe) The tribes were known as some of the most vicious tribes the Romans had ever faced. Did Roma stop? No, matter of fact they were the first into modern day Germany, they crossed the English channel into Britannia (Modern day England). In Greece, they fell to the Romans. The Romans had superiority through the military clearly they defeated every enemy that came their way.

I will end my argument there, for I am eager to see your rebuttal. Again, I thank you for accepting this debate, and I wish you good luck.
Posted by Octavion 2 weeks ago
Octavion
Ok, well sorry to hear that. I've experienced issue before. But, we can still continue at least. I mean just in your next argument include your round 1 and round2 sides. I'll address both of them In my round 3 I suppose
Posted by Octavion 2 weeks ago
Octavion
Posted by Capitalistslave 2 weeks ago
Capitalistslave
For some reason, it wasn't posting my argument. I made an argument, but it didn't post. I kind of just forgot to try it again later.
Posted by Dr.Maniac 2 weeks ago
Dr.Maniac
Rome is obviously the best. #GOOCTAVION!!!
Posted by HeavenlyPanda 2 weeks ago
HeavenlyPanda
Ancient china was so much better.
Posted by Octavion 2 weeks ago
Octavion
yes
Posted by Capitalistslave 2 weeks ago
Capitalistslave
Are you limiting this debate to empires of the ancient and classical eras only?