The Rosary does not have roots in the Bible.

I will be arguing from the pro's point of view, that the Rosary (commonly used by Catholics in worship) is not Biblical. The first round will be used as understanding/clarification. Sources to claims will be needed at the end of each statement.

I will have the burden of proof, and my opponent must refute my debate. The person who takes up Con is advised to do the following:

Give Bible quotations.
DO NOT preach or evangelize.
Refute my statements.

Preferrably, my opponent is Catholic. Thank you.

first, to the words of the ptayer itself, along with some basis for Marian veneration.

The Prayer (line by line)

Where it is in the Bible?

Hail Mary, full of Grace

Luke 1:28 (Hail, full of Grace)

The Angel Gabriel greets Mary with very respectful greeting used for royalty. The text doesn"t say "Mary" after Hail but it is implied. Gabriel then proclaims Mary full of Grace (full of God"s own life and love)

The Lord is with you

Luke 1:28 (The Lord is with you)

This is word for word. The Angel Gabriel said that the Lord is with Mary; she is full of his Grace, his own life.

Blessed are you among women

Luke 1:41 (Blessed are you among women)

Elizabeth is filled with the Holy Spirit; she is inspired by the 3rd person of the Blessed Trinity to proclaim that Mary is the most blessed among all women.

And blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus

Luke 1:42 (and blessed is the fruit of your womb)

Elizabeth still inspired by the Holy Spirit proclaims that the fruit of Mary"s womb, the developing Jesus, is blessed. The text doesn"t say "Jesus" after womb, but it is implied, the fruit of her womb is Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God

Luke 1:43 (And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?)

Mary is full of God"s grace; this would make her holy. Mary is the mother of the Lord Jesus Christ who is the 2nd person of the Holy Trinity. Since Jesus is God this makes her the mother of God. She is the mother of the God-Man Jesus, not the mother of the Trinity.

Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death

James 5:16 (Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects)

St. James tells Christians to pray for one another. All the baptized are members of the body of of Christ (1Cor 12:12-14), therefore it is right to pray for other members of the body. James goes on to say that the prayers of the righteous have great power. What human (other then Jesus) is more righteous then the Blessed Mother. Though she is in heaven she still hears the prayers of her children on Earth and intercedes for them.

the rest of the Roasary is just the Our Father, which is from Jesus, and a prayer to God. the main focus during the Rosary is a reflection of jesus' life, the "mysteries" as they call them. that means the emphasis is on Jesus, with side on asking Mary to be there with you in your petition and focus on Jesus. It's like a regular prayer, on steroids.

Thank you for taking up this debate. :)

I shall start my statement by providing a definition of the 'Rosary', as used by the Catholic Church:

a. (in the Roman Catholic Church) a form of devotion in which five (or fifteen) decades of Hail Marys are repeated, each decade preceded by an Our Father and followed by a Glory Be.
b. a string of beads for keeping count in a rosary or in the devotions of some other religions

So, the Rosary is, to be put simply, prayers that are repeatedly uttered while counting, using a string of beads of 5 or 15 decades. (Please note, both the prayers and the string are known as a Rosary).

Of course, we'd want to see what Jesus said on the subject of repeating prayers over and over again. In his time, many of the Pharisees and other high priests repeated the same thing over and over again. They spoke many words, however, they clearly didn't put much thought into the words they were saying. In Matthew 6:7, Jesus said: "But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking."

Notice, the scripture says "use not vain repetitions". Isn't that exactly what the rosary promotes? How would you like it if your spouse said the same thing to you everyday, not even thinking about the words they spoke, merely uttering them based off memory? Would you be inclined to listen in the future? How, then, does reciting mindless prayers based off memory, over and over, draw you any closer to God?

Back to you, Con! :)

he preached against mindless repetition, it's then vain. when you pray the rosary, you are suppose to be focusing on Jesus' life, death, messages etc. and your heart is to be in that, and in the words that you say. sure, there's repetition, but it's not suppose to be mindless. does this sometiems happen with people who pray the rosary? yes, but it's not suppose to, and if you do it right, it doesn't happen.

all i had to show is that the rosary has its roots in the bible. even the hail mary is almost verbatim based in the bible, with other concepts in the bible, and the rest is about Jesus and God, obviously biblical. and, i easily debunked your point that was derived from the bible, as well.

Okay, firstly, quoting Bible scriptures used in the rosary does not count as 'debunking'. When I was referring to the rosary, I was referring to mindlessly repeating the scriptures whilst counting on the rosary beads. Rosary beads have been used for centuries in other religions as well as Catholicism. The Catholic Encyclopaedia stated that missionaries often arrived in foreign lands, only to be surprised that the local religions use the rosary. How, then, is using something other religions have also been using biblical? I believe I should have been clearer when posting this debate, as to what I meant by'Rosary'. I shall post my sources as to the rosary being in use by other religions after your next statement, as I am not able to currently.

Back to you, Con! :)

so i basically showed you how biblical the rosary was, when i would suppose you didn't even know it. the words are almost verbatim from the bible. i debunked your mindless repetition point, which was only later brought into the debate, but showing how it's only mindless if you make it mindless. otherwise, the argument you pose has not much basis. and not only even later do you bring up the rosary in other cultures point. first even if it originate elsewhere it doesnt mean it has no basis. the only thing borrowed is the beads, the rest is biblical and based on christianity. the catholic encyclopedia probably mentions them in other cultures, probably the same way legend has it that they got there.... they say apparitions occurred to the native folks, and they learned how to pray it before missionaries ever even got there. id really like to see the article that says otherwise. thatd mean it's not only biblical, it continues the tradition of being supernatural.

if all you meant by it has "roots" in other religions in terms of the beads, that's not saying much, and you are the one who didnt try to limit the debate to that, so i came out of no where and showed you how literally true the statement is, that it has roots in the bible, even ifit's not waht you were expecting.

LiamOrMail forfeited this round.

Posted by GOP 3 years ago

Nice one. I almost always use the KJV for my Bible readings and references.