lnhsjayhawk
josh1273436

The Royals will be a breakout team in the 2014 MLB season

lnhsjayhawk
Started: 1/28/2014 Category: Sports

lnhsjayhawk

Pro

I think that the royals have the key components necessary to be a good/playoff team in 2014-2015. They have pitching, and now hitting, along with a solid defense. I think they will be good enough to surpass the Cleveland Indians and maybe even the Detroit Tigers. I wish luck to my opponent.
josh1273436

Con

I recognize that the Royals have picked up a good starting pitcher in James Shields but that is nothing to assume they will be a breakout team in 2014. First, they only have 2-3 good starting pitchers in Shields, Guthrie, and Wade Davis. I also think their outfield is particularly weak compared to the Tigers. Finally, their infield is not the strongest. They might have some good prospects but I don't think they are ready to perform on the big stage.
lnhsjayhawk

Pro

Thank you for accepting. I will now begin my first pro case. I will also refute some of my opponents remarks. I will request that in his last speech, he not bring up any new arguments, just refute mine or build his own up. I would also like to mention that many of my sources will be from ESPN, as they are "The Worldwide Leader" in Sports.

Point 1 - Starting Pitching: My opponent stated this "First, they only have 2-3 good starting pitchers in Shields, Guthrie, and Wade Davis. My opponent must be forgetting about how the Royals got Jason Vargas from the Angels. His style is similar to that of Bruce Chen's, and should more than make up for him. He is also a seasoned veteran who will benefit from Kaufmann's cavernous outfield. We also have the upcoming rookie Yordano Ventura, who has been ranked as one of the top 9 breakout players for 2014.
josh1273436

Con

Yes I acknowledge you have a good 4 pitchers but the rest of the team is lackluster. There just isn't enough talent in the bullpen and the infield/outfield. Even though the Rays had a good rotation as their main focus, they still had Longoria, a centerpiece that the Royals clearly lack.
lnhsjayhawk

Pro

I apologize deeply, as the website cut my case short, for whatever reason. I had many points regarding bullpen, outfield, etc. with evidence. I deeply wish that this could've been posted, as it could've helped you rebuttal my case better, and allow me something to build one, and the voters something to vote on. I will keep this rebuttal short, but I ask that you bring up no new points in your last rebbutal. Now, on to the debate!

Point 1 - Bullpen: I completely disagree that our bullpen is not talented enough to be elite. If you look at this article, you can see that you are wrong (http://mlb.mlb.com...) We have plenty of depth regarding pitching, and that settles that point.

Point 2 - Defense: Our defense is easily one of the best in the league, and the additions of Norichika Aoki and Omar Infante certainly don't harm that. We have three Gold Glovers, more than most other AL teams, and the rest are fundmentally sound. To back this up, I provide several pieces of evidence. I would build upon my lengthy first case, but unforunately my progress was deleted. To conserve time, I will give you evidence to read, and I urge a Pro ballot in today's debate.

Evidence -
(http://www.google.com...)

(http://espn.go.com...)

(http://bleacherreport.com...)
josh1273436

Con

I think that the Royals have a pretty balanced team but they lack the firepower to go all the way. They might have some good prospects and a balanced roster but they need a big time player that can hit a big powerful hit, I thank you for this wonderful debate.
Posted by birdlandmemories 1 year ago
birdlandmemories
Wow not only were you right but they won the World Series the next year as well.
Posted by Yanks4eva 3 years ago
Yanks4eva
Only problem is they were good last year almost made the playoffs so it's not really a breakout I could be wrong though
Posted by lnhsjayhawk 3 years ago
lnhsjayhawk
Thanks @Yanks4eva for the honest ballot. Not meaning to argue there, I just like the Royals and strongly believe in there future. Good luck in other debates!
Posted by lnhsjayhawk 3 years ago
lnhsjayhawk
Even if it isn't biased, he used no evidence, and you still gave him the edge on evidence. Therefore something has to be biased. Also, Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas are predicted to both be breakout home run hitters in 2014. Eric Hosmer won taward given to the player with the longest average home run difference. Plus their stadium is huge, so even power hitters can't hit home runs there.
Posted by Yanks4eva 3 years ago
Yanks4eva
So how is it biased again
Posted by Yanks4eva 3 years ago
Yanks4eva
It's not a pesonal opinion yes the yankee stuff was but I do believe you need a home run hitter to win it all something I would argue the royals do not have and that's why I feel the royals will not be a breakout team
Posted by lnhsjayhawk 3 years ago
lnhsjayhawk
Well, Yanks4eva's vote wasn't biased whatsoever (Sarcasm in usage). I would provide evidence of low home run hitting teams to disprove him, but I don't have time for that. Can we please get somebody who votes based on debating skill, not personal opinion?
Posted by Yanks4eva 3 years ago
Yanks4eva
Yanks will be better then both of these teams
Vote Placed by Yanks4eva 3 years ago
Yanks4eva
lnhsjayhawkjosh1273436Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Teams need to be able to hit the long ball to win it all royals can't do that and they don't have the guy who can go anywhere so and so I agree with con win but con had a weak argument and the sources were much better on pro
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 3 years ago
Ore_Ele
lnhsjayhawkjosh1273436Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con fails to fully address any real aspect of Pro's case. Con merely states that the team is "lackluster" but offers no support of such a claim. Regardless, GO WHITE SOX!
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
lnhsjayhawkjosh1273436Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had way better arguments but also sources. I like how pro's arguments were very organized as well. I was disappointed with con's arguments. Conduct and spelling were even.