TheRussian
edibleshrapnel

The Russian T-90 tank is superior to the American M1 Abrams

TheRussian

Pro

I will be arguing that the Russian T-90 main battle tank is superior to the American M1 Abrams. Please begin your argument.
edibleshrapnel

Con

Well, both tanks have 125mm guns, relative to each other in velocity, and both can fire the same types of rounds. The T-90 can traverse faster by a few km, but the M1 has about 300 more milimetres on the front armour, so that's good. The M1 Also has a electronically controlled 50.cal, so that's good to.
TheRussian

Pro

"both tanks have 125mm guns"
The Abrams actually has a smaller caliber gun.

Let's start with the gun. The T-90 is an autoloader while the Abrams needs a loader (20th century methods), meaning the Abrams is more prone to error during simply because there is a human instead of a machine. The T-90 is the only tank in the world that can fire a missile through its cannon. It can fire a laser-guided missile which has a range of 5 km. This means, in fact, that the T-90 can destroy an Abrams before the Abrams can even see its opponent because of the enormous range of the missile. The T-90 has a faster fire rate than the Abrams. Next, let's examine the suspension/engine. While the Abrams only has a max speed of 56 km/h, the T-90's top speed is 65 km/h. The T-90 is also known to have amazing suspension and can travel on virtually any terrain. The T-90 weighs less (almost 20 tons less) than the Abrams. This allows the T-90 to have an operational range of up to 700 km while the operational range of the Abrams is only 425 km. Let's take a look at protection now. The very base armor-thickness of the Abrams is 350 mm to 700 mm (depending on type of ammo being shot at the tank). This is inferior to the T-90s 800-1350 mm armor thickness. The T-90 has the Shtora-1 armor system which protects the tank from RPG shots (which destroyed many Abrams in Iraq) and laser-guided missiles. The T-90 has an anti-mine defense system as well. The T-90 is even protected against weapons of mass destruction. Not only is the M1A2 far inferior to the T-90, but the T-90 ($4.25 million) is less expensive than the Abrams ($6.21 million)
http://www.diffen.com...
http://www.armyrecognition.com...

I honestly don't see why people consider the Abrams competition for the T-90. As far as I can see, the T-90 is superior in virtually every respect.
edibleshrapnel

Con

edibleshrapnel forfeited this round.
TheRussian

Pro

In Iraq, the Abrams was commonly used and the results were not so good. Low quality IEDs in combination with RPG rounds effectively eliminated Abrams.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com...

The T-90 also has better sloping of the armor than the Abrams. (debatable)

I do not have much to say because I do not have any arguments to refute.

Thank you for the debate.
edibleshrapnel

Con

edibleshrapnel forfeited this round.
Posted by TheRussian 3 years ago
TheRussian
Haha, I'll have to research it some more. Having trouble believing it myself! hahaha. But one of the websites said that the T-90 is protected (probably not immune though) against weapons of mass destruction.
Posted by Dynasty2468 3 years ago
Dynasty2468
I thought the nuclear missile could destroy anything within its range....looks like I am wrong...
Posted by Dynasty2468 3 years ago
Dynasty2468
HI edibleshrapnel....long time no meet you....
Posted by TheRussian 3 years ago
TheRussian
No problem
Posted by edibleshrapnel 3 years ago
edibleshrapnel
I will accept, but I must do a bit of research first.
Posted by TheRussian 3 years ago
TheRussian
We're going to be arguing about the tanks in real life, not virtual.
Posted by TheRussian 3 years ago
TheRussian
hahaha, no :) I just like debating military stuff, esp. Russian military stuff :P
Posted by edibleshrapnel 3 years ago
edibleshrapnel
Wait, did you get this idea because there the MBT's in Battle field 3?