CentristX
TheWarrior

The Sabbath (for Christians) should be kept as Saturday

TheWarrior

CentristX

Pro

In this debate, I will be arguing that the Sabbath in the Bible, therein the 10 Commandments, refers to the seventh day as Saturday, and could not have been changed in any way since the Judaic, Mosaic, or even periods before or after then. In other words, I will be arguing that the Sabbath is Saturday, as the 10 commandments stated, the 7th day. 1st round acceptance, 2nd arguments, 3rd and 4th rebuttals, 5th conclusions.
TheWarrior

Con

I accept and look forward to and iteresting discussion.
CentristX

Pro

CentristX forfeited this round.
TheWarrior

Con

I feel bad posting anything. I will say that Christians started to use sunday as the day of worship to commemorate the day Jesus rose from the dead.
CentristX

Pro

CentristX forfeited this round.
TheWarrior

Con

Still waiting on opponent...
CentristX

Pro

CentristX forfeited this round.
TheWarrior

Con

I think that we should have it as Sunday. This is what separates us from Judaism. Sunday is to commemorate the day that Jesus rose from the dead. Whereas Judaism does not accept this. This question really has a lot to do with opinion. I think that it was a nobel thing to commemorate the defining point in our religion with our day of worship.
CentristX

Pro

Of course I'd have to start off by saying that I'm sorry for forfeiting all the preceeding rounds and making this a worse debate than it should have been.. But I also wanted to say thanks to the Con, for accepting this debate, and for dealing with my constant absence.
Anyways, one of the main reasons I believe that we, as Christians, should keep the Sabbath on Saturday, is because above all it is actually in the 10 commandments. See for yourself as you read Exodus chapter 20. Forget about the Baptist commentary Bible, or the Catholic Living Translation or whatnot. But actually see for yourself in an unedited King James, New King James, or even NIV bible, and you will find that the 4th commandment, as in Exodus, says for itself that the Sabbath is Saturday.
Exodus 20:8-11 reads:
8 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.

You could even find it here, if you wanted: http://www.biblegateway.com...

Jesus went to church on the Sabbath, as Luke 4:16 reads,
"16 He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom."

Some could argue that there are other verses in the later New Testament that abolish the seventh day Sabbath, or the Sabbath in its own regard. But how could a godly man like Paul treat a command from God with such disregard? See, he didn't though. When it comes to reading verses like in Colossians, we can either say one of several things:

1) God's commandments don't need to be kept at all.
2) Paul didn't know what he was talking about.
3) Okay, lets reread this verse, look at the fine print, and see if this translates any other way that DOESN'T make God's Law insubordinate.

Personally I suggest to you that you choose 3, because you're more than likely to discover more about God's Word and His AWESOME love for you and me and everyone.

I wanted to let you know that before I close this terribly short debate, (which I am extremely sorry for) that my objective is not to get the most votes, or to try to get to you become legalistic and strictly go to church on Saturday and become a conservative Jewish-like old man or whatever. No.

My objective is to reveal to you, Mr. Warrior, the awesome plans and small details God has placed in the Bible to make our lives so much more greater with His love and to have a better relationship with Him. I guess this has progressed into something else as to try to convince you that having a close relationship with God is great, which I'm not saying you don't have a relationship with Him anyways.

Also, of course, don't think that I'm Mr. Goody Two-Shoes, or that I think that I am, because frankly no one is, but I just wanted to try to spark that inspiration with you to study the Word more, and to take that first step into discovering a whole new world; the world of Jesus, which will lead to an eternal, sin-free, painless world called Heaven, where by His grace we all can spend forever with Him.

Once again, sorry for the offness of the debate, and I hope and pray that you will at least consider looking for yourself and diving deep into the Instruction Manual from God.
TheWarrior

Con

That vers you quted from the ten commandments only say you shall work 6 days and rest the seventh. It does not say that Saturday has to be the day you rest only that one day a week you rest and worship God.
Posted by CentristX 3 years ago
CentristX
Sorry to the Con. Go ahead and use your arguments, and the debate will be transitioned into a shorter one.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 3 years ago
Actionsspeak
CentristXTheWarriorTied