The Sabbath hasn't been abolished, but has a role in prophecy

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: 7 Point

See " Debate settings " for list of judges.

I argue that the Sabbath hasn't been abolished completely, but that it can be observed by Jews and non Jews alike.

First round acceptance

It's commonly taught that the Sabbath has been completely abolished, however i have come to disagree based on the following.

Matt. 5:17-18"17 Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose." 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God's law will disappear until its purpose is achieved."

Jesus did not come to abolish the Torah until this creation is done away with. Which laws are still valid today?

Many quote Colossians 2:16-17 "16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ."

Most likely, this is addressing Gnostic teachings as they introduced holidays not mentioned in the Torah (1). The Greek word used for substance is Soma which refers to the body of Christ or his church (2). This passage does not rule out Sabbath observance nor does it support it.

Isaiah 66 explains of a time when the Temple of Jerusalem would be restored (v. 6 and 10). The Levite priesthood would also be restored and this time with Gentiles being allowed to worship as priests.

Isaiah 66:19-23

19 I will set a sign among them; and those among them who escape I will send to the nations: to Tarshish and Pul and Lud, who draw the bow, and Tubal and Javan, to the coastlands afar off who have not heard My fame nor seen My glory. And they shall declare My glory among the Gentiles. 20 Then they shall bring all your brethren for an offering to the Lord out of all nations, on horses and in chariots and in litters, on mules and on camels, to My holy mountain Jerusalem,” says the Lord, “as the children of Israel bring an offering in a clean vessel into the house of the Lord. 21 And I will also take some of them for priests and Levites,” says the Lord.

22 “For as the new heavens and the new earth
Which I will make shall remain before Me,” says the Lord,
“So shall your descendants and your name remain.
23 And it shall come to pass
That from one New Moon to another,
And from one Sabbath to another,
All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the Lord."

All of the nations and Jews would come and worship God at the new creation as the Sabbaths are observed. While the measurements of time are different in the new creation, time is still measured. Pay close attention to the following verses:

Rev. 22:1-2

"1 And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb. 2 In the middle of its street, and on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each tree yielding its fruit every month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. "

The Scriptures do not say that there will be no time, simply that there will be sun or moon or death.

In summary, no where does Jesus explicitly tell us to not follow the Sabbath nor does he tell us to observe it.

Sorry, I thought we were debating if keeping the sabbath is still a requirement. The sabbath observance was a sign between Jehovah and Israel that he did not abolish, but fulfilled by perfectly keeping it, and now we are not obligated to keep it. So, we both agree on this, there's nothing to debate. :)

Okay, let's just end the debate quickly then o

Yeah, lol. Sorry.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
humph. I'm a judge and can't vote...that's new. Anyone know why?
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago

"Now upon the first day of the week (Sunday), very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them. And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre." (Luke 24:1-2)

To quote Paul Mooney, "Know your history, son." B)
Posted by whitesworstnightmare 2 years ago
Why did the catholic change the Sabbath day from saturday to sunday! Spooky!
Posted by xXCryptoXx 2 years ago
Please stop asking me to judge.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
What about eating dogs? That's something that really matters, not whether or not you can go to the bookstore on Sunday. The best time to go is early on Sunday anyway, because then you don't have all those smelly people standing in the section you want to look at.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Tie. Neither had poor conduct throughout. Con's concession was appropriate vs. simply forfeiting. S&G - Tie. Both had proper spelling and grammar throughout. Arguments - Pro. Con failed to present any rebuttals, and instead gave a concession due to ultimately misunderstanding what the resolution was focusing on. Due to his realization that he agreed with Pro, he conceded the debate which left Pro's arguments standing unchallenged. Therefore Pro wins arguments. Sources - Pro. Con did not utilize sources in this debate whereas Pro did. Clear win for Pro.
Vote Placed by ShadowKingStudios 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con presented no rebuttal argument (Conduct to Pro). Pro presented an argument uncontested (MCA).