Arganger
byaka2013

The Sale of Cigarettes and Tobacco Products Should be Banned- Speed debate

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Arganger

Pro

This is a speed debate, you will have ten minutes to post an argument, and you only have 500 characters.

You will be arguing against a ban on tobacco products.

Please try to use a size of at least three to make your argument more readable.

Go right into your first argument.

byaka2013

Con

Obviously, tobacco is bad for you. But that doesn't mean it should be banned. People should still have a right to do what they want to themselves. We've given them several warnings. Now, it's up to them to see if they help or harm themselves.

One problem that arises from a total and complete smoking ban is this:
HOW COULD WE ENFORCE IT?

There's really no way we could. It would just be a continuation of the failed war on drugs.

Finally, if people want to smoke, they deserve the consequences.
Arganger

Pro

It's not just the smokers affected, 53,800 people die every year from secondhand smoke, that is more than people die from guns a year.

11,385 people died on average annually in firearm incidents in the US between 2001 and 2011. These are murders.
- Secondhand Smoke - no-smoke.org
- Council on Foreign Affairs

The way to stop this is to target the dealers, not the smokers themselves that need help.
byaka2013

Con

????
What? That whole thing seemed suspiciously copy pasted; and almost irrelevant. Regardless, you provided no sources. Also, you ignored my points. Public smoking bans are good. But total? No. It can't & won't be enforced.

BTW, guns have little relevance here.

Stop the dealers?
How?

"Smoking is bad, but karma will do it's thing."
Arganger

Pro

I used two clearly placed sorces.

The most affected by secondhand smoking are those that cannot leave, the children. Smokers have families, and their families can die to their addiction.

To target the dealers the first step is to make the sale illegal, with stiff penalties of being charged with assualt for every sale. Making it harder to find is the first step to keeping people out of it. Many law abiding store owners will be quick to take it off shelf.

byaka2013

Con

"I used two clearly placed sources."

Actually, my opponent is technically correct. Though no links were provided, he was still right about that part.

Again, 2 problems mainly here:

1. No enforcement capability (second War on Drugs)
  2. Removal of personal freedom & choice
Need I say more?

Why was the War on Drugs, which this could easily become, bad? Just Google it. I barely have enough characters left, anyway.

Good & fun quick debate- these should happen more often.
Posted by Arganger 8 months ago
Arganger
I did add sources, but because of the character limit I didn't put links.

For the enforcement, I really think that if the focus is kept on helping tobacco addicts, and going after dealers only, real progress can be made.
Posted by Nd2400 8 months ago
Nd2400
byaka2013: i do agree these fast debates are pretty cool and would be nice to see more of them. It just it might be better to have more time to actually give a better response. I will also agree with you on banning tobacco would be just too hard to enforce.

Arganger: Sources would be nice... just some kind adivice.