Arganger
pi3.14

The Sale of Cigarettes and Tobacco Products Should be Banned

Arganger

Pro

I saw that this is one of the few areas we disagree, so I figured this could be a fun debate.

Rules:
You go first
No personal attacks
Anyone who curses loses right away

For clarity I am for banning tobacco sales.
pi3.14

Con

I think that the sale of cigarettes should not be banned, at least not yet. I agree that they are detrimental to many people's health and to society as a whole. I also think we would be much better off if they weren't invented. The problem is that many people are already addicted to cigarettes. If we impose a ban, that would not stop many people. Smoking is similar, in my opinion, to certain mental health problems. I say this because many people cannot overcome their habit of smoking without seeking other people's help. Throwing them in jail for buying cigarettes won't help because it won't stop their addiction. Their brain is addicted to cigarettes, and jail won't stop the addiction. The addiction can be stopped, on the other hand, by letting the addicts decide that they need help to stop smoking and that they need to go to someone like a specialist to stop their addiction. Forcing them to go to jail will not help. Eventually, I hope that we can eliminate smoking, but I don't think it would be a good idea now because of how many people are still addicted to cigarettes. During the Prohibition, many people disregarded the alcohol ban and the ban actually resulted in many bad things for the country. Some of the same effects could happen with smoking. I await your argument.
Arganger

Pro

Con says, "The problem is that many people are already addicted to cigarettes. If we impose a ban, that would not stop many people. Smoking is similar, in my opinion, to certain mental health problems. I say this because many people cannot overcome their habit of smoking without seeking other people's help. "

That is why I'm talking about a ban on the sale of cigarettes. That way those feeding this addiction can be taken out of the picture without attacking those dealing with addiction. Prohibition was rushed, and had a skewed focus, this doesn't have to end that way.

If we wait for people to seek help, tobacco companies are still benefiting from taking advantage of people.

Banning tabacco in this way is also necessary to help stop second hand smoking deaths.
53,800 people die every year from secondhand smoke exposure in the us.

https://www.cdc.gov...

In 2011, tabacco killed around 6 million people around the globe, these deaths could have been prevented. The indistry makes $35 Billion dollars a year for killing people, that shouldn't be legal.

https://www.maurerfoundation.org...
pi3.14

Con

"Con says, 'The problem is that...' That is why I'm talking about a ban on the sale of cigarettes. That way those feeding this addiction can be taken out of the picture without attacking those dealing with addiction." If you banned the sale of cigarettes, the addicts still wouldn't be able to buy more. Say they have 5 packs at their house. They will likely use those packs, and then they would want to buy more, which would be illegal. They would likely just buy cigarettes illegally which wouldn't help with their addiction. Even the addicts seeking treatment would still probably want to buy some. They don't seek treatment and immediatly stop smoking cigarettes. They wean themselves off the cigarettes and would still need to buy them after the ban is imposed. Also, some people could claim to be trying to wean themselves off when they really aren't and just want more cigarettes.
Arganger

Pro

Though there are risks for those quitting when we are taking tobacco off the market entirely, it isn't impossible to do this.

7 out of every 10 smokers want to quit, so helping people get off the drug is the first priority.

Simply quitting cold turkey, without help has a 5% success rate, likely why prohibition failed for alcohol.

http://www.quit-smoking-advisor.com...

However, it is important to note, it can be way more successful than gradually decreasing consumption of other methods are used to help. Other methods include therapy and nicotine patches.

When two groups were given nicotine replacement therapy and one group was made to quit abruptly with the other cutting of gradually, cold turkey came out on top.

"The researchers found that 49% of the participants in the abrupt-quit group were not smoking by one month after their quit day, compared with 39.2% in the gradual-quit group. By six months, success rates had dropped, but the difference between the groups was still there: 22% of the abrupt quit group was not smoking, compared with 15.5% of the gradual-quit group." https://www.cnn.com...

This shows, therefore, as long as other support is in place quitting abruptly is the best option. Stopping the sale of cigarettes in turn will help them quit, also keeping triggers for relapse out of the public. Seeing someone smoking in public can be a relapse trigger.

https://smokefree.gov...
pi3.14

Con

"7 out of every 10 smokers want to quit, so helping people get off the drug is the first priority." What about the other 3 in 10? Some people will be dead set on being able to smoke and will still buy the cigarettes illegally. This could encourage some criminals to come from other countries to be "cigarette dealers" to earn money. Also, as I said before, some of the things that happened in the Prohibition could happen if smoking became illegal. Additionally, jails would be filled up with illegal smokers when they should be spending their resources on other worse criminals.

"Simply quitting cold turkey, without help has a 5% success rate, likely why prohibition failed for allcohol." And yet you say the same thing should happen for cigarettes. Many people who specialize in helping addicts quit their addiction

The stu
Posted by Arganger 3 months ago
Arganger
That's okay.
Posted by pi3.14 3 months ago
pi3.14
Sorry, I couldn't finish that last debate in tim
Posted by pi3.14 3 months ago
pi3.14
I didn't see a female soccer player to choose from.
Posted by WOLF.J 3 months ago
WOLF.J
Her picture is a dude, cmon lady!!, sort it out
Posted by Amphia 3 months ago
Amphia
@WOLF.J
Ahem. "Her" not "Him" haha.
Posted by WOLF.J 3 months ago
WOLF.J
If con wins this debate, I will debate him, because Con requested I debate with him about this subject. So Arganger do me a favour, and crush him! Totally crush him!!