STA_Cadet
BriarEvans2016

The San Francisco 49ers will win the Super Bowl in the 2013-2014 NFL season

Started: 3/16/2013 Category: Sports

STA_Cadet

Con

Many think that the San Francisco 49ers will win the Super Bowl this year (especially people at my school). I respectfully disagree with this and I wish to engage in a debate with you on the topic at hand. Would you like to accept good sir?
BriarEvans2016

Pro

Today I will be willing to debate this topic. Sorry for the late response, I haven't been on here in quite a while.
STA_Cadet

Con

First off I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting my proposed challenge.

Now, the debate's topic is The San Francisco 49ers will win the Super Bowl in the 2013-2014 NFL (National Football League) season.
I am going against this, saying they will not. Let us begin.

1. Read-Option

Some of the 49ers success last season (2012-2013) was based off of the 49ers' Read-Option scheme. It baffled defenses and drove defensive coordinators crazy. However, their success with the scheme will not continue into next season. I believe (as well as others) that during the offseason teams in the NFL, and especially the NFC West, will study and analyze the Read-Option immensely. An example of this is Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy's steps that have already been down this off-season in order to extinguish the scheme's success. Coach Mike McCarthy sent some of his staff to learn from those at the Texas A&M football coaching staff about the read-option (1). On top of Green Bay's efforts it seems to be the number 1 priority for every defense in the National Football League this offseason. Ron Jaworski says, "I"ve probably spoke to 20 scouts today [at the West Virginia Pro Day workout] and what everyone is doing right now is preparing to stop this read option this whole offseason," (2).

With the Read-Option no longer as affective as it was in the 2012-2013 NFL season, the 49ers will have a substantial piece of their offense taken out. With this done, the huge speed factor that the 49ers offense relies heavily upon will be greatly decreased.

2. Defensive Weaknesses

On week 15 of the 2012-2013 NFL season, 49ers defensive end Justin Smith suffered a partially torn triceps tendon that had him inactive until the divisional playoff round against the Green Bay Packers. During his absence, Aldon Smith, the supposed sack master who was leading the league in sacks didn't make one sack for the rest of the season. This eliminates everyone's idea of every player on the 49ers defensive line being elite-tier players. With Justin Smith gone there was a noticeable lack of pressure generated by the 49ers defensive line which allowed the opposing teams' quarterbacks to take advantage of a mediocre 49ers secondary. It was also reported recently that Aldon Smith went through surgery for a torn labrum something that if re-injured along with the possibility of Justin Smith getting re-injured could put the 49ers in trouble (3).

1 - http://m.nfl.com...

2 - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...

3 - http://blog.sfgate.com...

Well, it's late now and I need to get to bed so I will be ending this round of mine round of the debate.

Thank you again to my opponent.
BriarEvans2016

Pro

BriarEvans2016 forfeited this round.
STA_Cadet

Con

With my current points still present due to my opponent's forfeit I will conclude my turn for this round.
BriarEvans2016

Pro

BriarEvans2016 forfeited this round.