Fereska
something-preposterous

The School system is flawed and should be changed

Fereska

Pro

I believe that the school system is flawed whereas everyone has to take the same test and move at the same speed in learning.

Going against me in this debate will mean that you believe that the school system is good as is, or you see that there is no way to change it.

1st Round - Acceptance
2nd and 3rd Rounds - Arguments and Rebuttals
4th Round - Final Comments

Hope we have a nice debate :)
something-preposterous

Con

I'm not entirely sure if this is country specific and I'm not fully aware of education systems in other countries. Anyway, in the UK there are already reforms being made to the education system, such as the scrapping of GCSEs to challenge students on a more academic basis rather than just mere fact learning, and making exams linear based rather than module in order to make exams more challenging (which I disagree with as it creates a huge workload in a short space of time). That being said, there are also qualifications available to students where academics is not their forte, which is through the use of vocational qualifications that tend to be focused on a specific career interest that that student may have at the time. Whilst they are equivalent to GCSEs, there are also vocational qualifications equivalent to A-Levels.

I do agree that the education system is flawed, speaking as an A-Level student myself, and as it is unfair that some students are at a disadvantage than others, it could be argued that that is just a part of life in general. It's also true that the tests students are tested on are extremely crucial to employers looking to hire, namely in English and Maths.

I do also think that the education lacks practical life skills, such as learning how to finance, and I also agree that there could be room for improvement in terms of creativity, in which students could be more inspired. I also disagree that over a year's worth of work is tested into a small time frame of over an hour in one single day, which makes exams seem to appear luck based, especially if a question comes up in a subject that you are not strong in. It's a shame that the government also wants to scrap coursework and put restrictions on the availability of retaking exams so that students cannot have a second chance.

In conclusion I think there is certainly room for improvement in education, but I suppose in a society where competition in academics is common, it seems unlikely that schools will reform to focus on everything rather than just academics. There are also alternatives for those students who do not excel in academics, which does add breadth to the school system.
Fereska

Pro

Fereska forfeited this round.
something-preposterous

Con

something-preposterous forfeited this round.
Fereska

Pro

Fereska forfeited this round.
something-preposterous

Con

Fereska

Pro

Fereska forfeited this round.
something-preposterous

Con

Posted by shivam007 3 years ago
shivam007
well some may say that the education system in working smoothly with its academics but I want to ask all one question that is the education system really trying a percent to make its student learn something? learning in the true sense of its word. no friends, Albert Einstein once said that the only thing that interferes with my learning is my education. companions in today's education we are not getting the morality rather we get tensed seeing the vast courses, competition, subjects like mathematics, science, commerce, topics like integration, laws, managements which sounds like the destruction's caused by the atomic bombs. we should not only think as marks or success as our objective rather its the ability of ours that helps us to judge between right or wrong which should be our motive. To me education is not memorizing its understanding, its not success its excellence
Posted by Fereska 3 years ago
Fereska
medv4380 yes I was talking about the teaching methods... My bad I should have clarified that.
Posted by medv4380 3 years ago
medv4380
I'd like this debate but school system needs to be clearly defined first. There are too many School Systems in the US. Con could argue for any one of the successful ones, and Pro could argue for any one of the unsuccessful ones. I suspect that from the statement "everyone has to take the same test and move at the same speed in learning" Pro might not be arguing about school systems, but rather one of the more common teaching methods instead.
Posted by Irrelevance 3 years ago
Irrelevance
Is there a particular country that this is in? I feel only people from the same or very similar countries can express opinions on this. I could argue about it (Con has a whelk's chance in a supernova) but if the situations vary too much then it is pointless.