DoctrinallyCorrect
cheyennebodie

The Scriptures Teach That Sinners will be Annihilated in Hell

DoctrinallyCorrect

DoctrinallyCorrect

Pro

R1 is for acceptance.
R2 is for opening statements (no rebuttals).
R3-R4 is for rebuttal.
R5 is for summations.
cheyennebodie

Con

Lets understand each other. By annihilate, , you mean cease to exist?
DoctrinallyCorrect

Pro

By "annihilate" I mean to cease to have conscious existence.

A1: The human soul is not inherently immortal (incapable of death). God alone is immortal by nature (1 Tim 6:16). Immortality (eternal life) is a gift of grace only to those who believe (Rom 2:7; 1 Cor 15:51-57; 2 Tim 1:10). Since sinners are not immortal they cannot be tormented forever. Hell is the second death (Rev 21:8).

A2: What men do to the body with murder, God does to both body AND soul with hell (Matthew 10:28).
cheyennebodie

Con

You say that hell will cause cessation of consciousness. And yet the rich man lifted his eyes and asked father Abraham to send lazurus to give him water. He had full awareness of his surroundings.He was tormented in those flames. Jesus said that in hell where their thirst is not quenched and their worm dies not.And the second death is the reuniting of their spirit and soul with an unglorified body.Wailing and gnashing of teeth seems to be being aware of your surroundings.
DoctrinallyCorrect

Pro

There was not supposed to be any rebuttal in R2. That is basically all my opponent did.

There are are a few problems with my opponents use of Lazarus:
1. I do not deny temporal consciousness; only eternal consciousness. Hell will eventually annihilate.
2. Nothing says how long that Lazarus will be tormented or that his torment will never end.
3. Lazarus was in hades (intermediate state), not gehenna (final punishment).

I look forward to my opponent addressing my two arguments A1 and A2.
cheyennebodie

Con

And there is nothing to suggest that his torment will cease. I believe that is just wishful thinking on your part.Where their worm dies not. Explain why Jesus would use that term.That was coupled with wailing and gnashing of teeth. Why would God not cause cessation of conscience immediately. Why did he let that rich man suffer? If that is his will.Because he can't. He gave man complete dominion of his will. And he cannot take it back.He will lose control of his soul. Not lose consciousness.
DoctrinallyCorrect

Pro

CON has yet to address either of my original arguments, which should have been done in this round. CON says that there is nothing to suggest that torment will cease. We could have good debate about that if CON would address A2. Murder kills the body, Hell kills both body and soul (Matt 10:28). What murder does to the body, hell does to BOTH body AND soul. This clearly suggest that the torment will end.

Jesus used the "worm dies not" to invoke the image of worms eating dead carcasses (Is 66:24)
cheyennebodie

Con

I did not see you address why God let the rich man suffer.And you cannot kill the body, it is already dead. It only moves because the spirit man is residing in it. It is merely an earth suit.When we die, we are simply changing locations. Not spiritual conditions.Nowhere does God ever say that awareness would cease. Never does he say that. I think people with your perspective just wish it is like that. Never does he say that the soul is made unconscious.
DoctrinallyCorrect

Pro

CON did not attempt to address either of my arguments: A1 or A2. I addressed as many of CON's as I could. Therefore, you should vote for PRO in this debate. God would let the rich man suffer temporal punishment for a temporal life of sin.

For the third time: the soul is made unconscious in hell just as much as the body is made unconscious in death (Matt 10:28).

CON did not deal with the issue of the immortality of the soul. Neither did CON deal with the fact that hell kills the body and SOUL
cheyennebodie

Con

Your problem is you do not have a bible definition of life and death.When Adam sinned, he died immediately. Spiritual death is now lodged in His spirit man. Not ceasing to be aware of his surroundings, but to have the light turned off. Faith was now fear.love was now hate. Courage is now cowardly. He was as dead spiritually right then as he ever would be.Eternal death.Jesus came to give us eternal life. The light as now turned back. The new birth.

Sorry, I just cannot agree with you.
Posted by DoctrinallyCorrect 3 years ago
DoctrinallyCorrect
Maybe the Trinity would be a nice topic of discussion for another debate.
Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
So when Jesus was being baptized and the voice from the excellent glory said, " This is the son of my love, listen to him." Jesus was throwing his voice.And in Geneses God said , " let US make man in OUR image.Which strongly suggests plural.
DoctrinallyCorrect
As a Oneness Pentecostals we reject the trinitarian view of God. Apostolic simply means "of or relating to the teaching of the apostles."
Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
Oneness Pentecostal/apostolic.Is that different from oneness Pentecostal/ evangelistic. They are both ministries in the church.Just asking.
Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
That is alright. Fill in the blanks in the comment section.
DoctrinallyCorrect
Wow, I should have given us way more characters. 500 is not close to enough.
Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
Please explain what oneness Pentecostal/apostolic means.
DoctrinallyCorrect
Also, I am Oneness Pentecostal/Apostolic.
DoctrinallyCorrect
I am a Christian and I refer to the 66 books of the Christian Bible.
Posted by Domr 3 years ago
Domr
Please specify which "Scripture" you are referring to. And also, if applicable, which religion you are referring to.

Thanks
Vote Placed by Jellon 3 years ago
Jellon
DoctrinallyCorrectcheyennebodieTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not keep the round structure agreed upon in round 1. I will lump that into conduct. Pro gave references, but Con never did, so I'm giving Pro points for sources. Pro addressed all of Con's arguments, but Con failed to do the same.