Xantog
chokerboy12345

The Second Amendment Is Still Important And Should Not Be Repealed

chokerboy12345 has forfeited round #2.

Xantog

Pro

First: I am fine with how gun control is now, we can debate whether or not gun control should be increased or decreased.
Second: I believe the 2nd Amendment is there to protect the American population from a tyrannical government.

Now that this is out of the way: I say that there is a need in society today to defend yourself from intruders and a tyrannical American Government.

I also believe that the battle over gun control is actually gun owners vs non-gun owners. The informed vs. the ill-informed.

Let us keep the debate friendly. What I believe I think is the best for society, as will my opponent.
chokerboy12345

Con

Very well, I accept. Good luck, you're gonna need it.
Xantog

Pro

Thank you for accepting the debate. Hopefully, we both can learn something.

I'll be trying to prove 3 points:

1.The Second Amendment is meant as protection against a tyrannical government and is still important today.

2.The debate over gun rights vs abolishment of that right is actually Gun owners vs Non-gun owners...and I would like to make the case that this turns into an Informed vs ill-informed.

3.The legalization of gun ownership is actually in benefit of society, this does better than harm.

Argument:

1. 'The Second Amendment is meant as protection against a tyrannical government and is still important today.'
A. The quote "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." of the constitution has two connotations. The USA can keep a well regulated Militia for the safety and security of the people and the ability for a common citizen to keep and bear (use) arms.
B. The people who wrote the constitution added the second amendment for they feared America would become another tyrannical state as was with Great Britain. This is a rational fear as though the 20th century many dictatorial countries have taken away the right for a certain ethnicity or opponent to the state to bear arms, as was with Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia. (REF. 1,2) The 20th century was not long ago, and it is not too hard to fathom a dictatorship forming in the US. It happened with Rome which was democratic and Nazi Germany which was also democratic, which is why this matters today.

2. 'The debate over gun rights vs abolishment of that right is actually Gun owners vs Non-gun owners...and I would like to make the case that this turns into an Informed vs ill-informed.'
A. The vast majority of people against gun rights are those who have never gone through the process of buying a gun, let alone owning one. Talk with anyone who supports gun control and they will tell you that while they don't own a gun, they know a lot about guns. This is complete nonsense, as with anything, to learn about it you need to have gone through a process of understanding how gun control and guns work. In a video on youtube, a man poses as a pro-gun control advocate and asks the people who come up to his stand to identify which guns are more dangerous than others. The thing is the hunting rifles are all the same and one was painted to look like an evil gun, and those who've never handled or used a gun called the evil looking one wrong then the same yet differently colored hunting rifle. This goes to show majority of non-gun owners are ill-informed (REF. 3,4)

3. 'The legalization of gun ownership is actually in benefit of society, this does better than harm.'
A. Guns are used hundreds of thousands of times every year in self-defense. Tens of thousands of rapes and sexual assaults are prevented and even more lives and personal property. Anyone with any basic knowledge of firearm statistics would absolutely see them as a benefit. People say that firearms cause 30,000 plus deaths a year. This is a major fallacy because 20,000 of these are suicides and 2/3's of the remaining deaths are gang or drug-related. (REF. 5)
B. I go on to say that gun control causes societal harm as well. In Britain where guns are outlawed and only special police forces can use them, the crime statistics show that thieves and burglars actively seek more often to invade people's houses while they are home because 1. they residents have no defence and 2. since they have no defence it is more productive to also steal the belongings on the person(s) who are home.(Ref. 6) Not only this but if a woman were to be carrying a gun on her, there would definitely be a less likely chance of her being raped compared to pepper spray and rape whistles.

References:
1. http://www.nationalreview.com...
2. https://www.youtube.com...
3. https://youtu.be...
4. https://youtu.be...
5. https://en.wikipedia.org...
6. https://www.rsgsecurity.co.uk...

Again I thank my opponent for joining me in this debate.
Posted by Xantog 7 months ago
Xantog
I don"t mind reposting it if you didn"t have time before
Posted by Xantog 7 months ago
Xantog
How do you win?
Posted by chokerboy12345 7 months ago
chokerboy12345
aww shti i ran out of time........ darn it. that means I win
Posted by Xantog 7 months ago
Xantog
What do you think of my argument in round two?
Posted by Debating_Horse 7 months ago
Debating_Horse
ILikePie25

Yeah this too.
Posted by ILikePie5 7 months ago
ILikePie5
@Troll.

The Second Amendments was established to PREVENT a tyrannical government from ever being established. I'd say it has worked pretty well so far, don't you? The status quo has been working as intended, so why change it?

And remember, guns don't kill people. People kill people. The next thing you're going to be wanting is to ban trucks and knives.

Is a cop watching you 24/7? I don't think so. Another reason the 2nd Amendment is important, is for self-defense. If a robber comes to rob my house, do you think I will have the time to call the cops, and to wait for them to arrive? Or simply pull out a gun, and hold him at gun point until the cops arrive.

Under 21? You realize, half of the people in here lie about their ages right? I would be willing to debate this issue with you. I've never forfeited a debate before.
Posted by Xantog 7 months ago
Xantog
Thanks for the defense. I couldn't have said it better myself.
Posted by McBaller_Deluxe73 7 months ago
McBaller_Deluxe73
all @Fanboy
McBaller_Deluxe73
Also, try not to base the intelligence of others based on there age. Cause after all, there are kids younger than 21 that support the preservation of the 2nd amendment. Which, honestly, makes them a tad bit smarter than you. Also if you think more than a third of America has nuclear bunkers, is a part of some crazy militia group, or has paranoia, than that says a lot more about you than those who believe they need guns. Also, after all the shootings you just mentioned, I'd say the need for guns is increasing.
McBaller_Deluxe73
I'd like to point out that the areas with the strictest gun laws, take Chicago for example, have the highest murder rates, and most murders, than anywhere else in the country. To say that Gunns should be banned and the 2nd ammendment taken away, is to take away not only freedom, but a means of protection. There is no tyrannical government now, well that probably would have changed if Hillary was elected, but yes I agree with you. That has nothing to do with the topic at hand. The amendment was created to defend ourselves from such a government IF one should arise. It is a precaution for what could, and honestly what almost, happened. Owning a gun is a freedom, people abuse that freedom yes. However, my freedom and freedom of Americans cannot, and will not, be sacrificed because some people are afraid of an object, rather than the person pulling the trigger. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. I think those who were affected by Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, the Orlando nightclub, and the Columbine shootings all know that.

(mic drop)