tylergraham95
Jifpop09

The Selective Services Act ought to be repealed.

tylergraham95

tylergraham95

Con

Rules
Round 1- Acceptance, Historical Background, and Definitions only.
Round 2- Constructive Arguments only.
Round 3- Free choice.
Round 4- Rebuttals/Defences only.
Round 5- Closing Remarks. No new rebuttals/defences/responses/arguments may be made in this round. You may, however, make fresh cross examinations of points, using your own points.

Any rule violation constitutes an immediate loss of conduct points.

Forfeiting more than 1 round constitutes a full 7 point loss.

The BOP is shared.

Definitions

The Selective Services Act- AKA the draft, this is a system for conscription into the United States miliatry.

For this debate, what is "Ought" is the option that yields the most net benefits.
tylergraham95

Con

Pros Case

(A) The Selective Service System is Fair

The selective service system is fair. Every single male US citizen between the ages of 18-25 must register. Unless you are unable to fight, or a conciencious objector, you have equal likelyhood as the next guy to be drafted. Wealth and affluency doesn't make you immune to the draft. Coming from a political family does not make you immune to the draft. Conscription applies equally to all.

(B) The Selective Service System is Necessary for Defense

There are many cases where the draft is simply absolutely necessary. I would agree that it has been used when it was not necessary, though, which was wrong. Specifically, the vietnam war. That was a war that the US didn't have to fight. When it comes to wars the the US must fight in, though, we have to be able to conscript our citizens in a fair way for the social good. If we believe that within the next year or so, some country will be launching total war against us, for the good of the people we must be able to muster an army. You might argue that people would willingly volunteer. This is true. Many, though, would not. Many would convince themselves, "I'd be willing to fight if I had to, but why do it when someone else is willing to?" The draft solves this problem.

Like jury duty, military service in times of dire need is a civic duty.

(C) The Selective Service System has been ruled as constitutional multiple times

The draft has been tried in court multiple times. Every time, the supreme court rules it constitutional, for the very reasons I have stated above.
Jifpop09

Pro

Jifpop09 forfeited this round.
tylergraham95

Con

Forward all points.
Jifpop09

Pro

Jifpop09 forfeited this round.
tylergraham95

Con

Forward all points. This is a full forfeit from the con per the rules of the debate.
Jifpop09

Pro

Do not forward all points. I have been mislead by con through pm and elsewhere. Due to his treachery anc cunning, he has tricked me into not posting my argument, even though I was capable of doing so. Tie it!

tylergraham95

Con

Pro seems to misunderstand what "Forward all points" means. After FFing two rounds he wants a tie (and still posts no arguments).

Forward all points means "I wish to re-assert all of the points that I have previously made."
Jifpop09

Pro

Do you know how confused I'm right now. This is unjust treatment. TIE THIS DEBATE, or else.

Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
WTF. I am lost and confused. The only round that would of been forfeited is round 2, and I had a computer crash.
Posted by tylergraham95 2 years ago
tylergraham95
I'm sorry I didn't get the one yesterday. "Forward All Points" Means that I re-assert all of the points I've made previously.
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
I pm'd you saying I wanted to finish the debate, but you refused. I did it again yesterday, but you did not respond. I was confused when you said forward all points in round 2. Come on, plenty of reason to be confused.
Posted by tylergraham95 2 years ago
tylergraham95
Full forfeit from the pro* lol
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
oops, well I was wrong. I am doing 4 debates at a tie for now on, and not 10.
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
Things are really messed up. I took a bunch of debates that I can't even finish in time. Luckily, I don't think this is one of them.
Posted by tylergraham95 3 years ago
tylergraham95
Sorry for the brief opening argument. I was sick with 7 hours left when I posted it.
Posted by tylergraham95 3 years ago
tylergraham95
LOL by Pros case, I mean CONS CASE!
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
I mean I accept.
Vote Placed by EndarkenedRationalist 2 years ago
EndarkenedRationalist
tylergraham95Jifpop09Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Sorry, PRO, but you forfeited 2 rounds which, as per the rules of the debate, means CON gets all 7 points. I don't know what occurred outside this debate - in PMs or wherever else - but I can only vote on what occurred within this debate. Posting pictures of women will not change my mind. Nice try, though.