Beverlee
emil1

The Sky is Blue

Beverlee

Beverlee

Con

(ok.... use the vocabulary words...clearing throat)

This house denies the resolution, which states that the sky is blue. I ask that my opponent affirm the opposite, which is that the sky is blue.

Definitions:

For this debate, these definitions will be used.

The Sky. (I don't even know how to define this. It's the sky.)
Is: a constant state of being
Blue: The primary color on the color wheel between red and yellow. The designation of "blue" excludes other color families, such as green. "Blue" does NOT rule out the family of related colors, such as cyan, royal blue or sky blue.

I want to argue that the sky is not blue in keeping with these definitions.

Please don't use both rounds for debating, because I can only use one.

This is my first real try at instigating a debate, so yay! Please let me know if I need to change something.
emil1

Pro

The Sky made of layer of gases. These gases such as Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, Nitrogen, Argon, etc., are transparent unless there is a substance such as smoke in that air. The Sky is therefore transparent. The Sky and the sun's light reflects the colour of the ocean (blue).

*Though the ocean is actually transparent, it is eutrophic bodies of water. This mean that the ocean is with high contents of nutrients. That is why the ocean looks blue.

Back to topic....

The sun reflects the lights absorbed by the ocean which is seen as THE SKY IS BLUE.

* I think I will do great in Gr.10 Biology this year. YES!!!!!!!!!!
Beverlee

Con

Thanks!

Concessions and rebuttals:

-I concede that the sky is "made of layer of gases. These gases such as Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, Nitrogen, Argon, etc"
-I concede that the sky is "transparent unless there is a substance such as smoke in that air"
-I concede that "The sun reflects the lights absorbed by the ocean which is seen as THE SKY IS BLUE."

Rebuttals:

My rebuttal is that the sky is not always blue. Sometimes it is black.

Therefore, saying that "the sky is blue" can't always be a true statement, because only some of it is blue. Like when the sun isn't up at night, the sky is black. A car that is equal parts black and blue is not a "blue" car... it is a black and blue car. The same with the sky, which is also black and blue.

Thank you for debating me! This was my first try at it here!
emil1

Pro

You are welcome....

The sky is black in the night because as the sun goes down we see space which is dark and black. Since the sky is transparent, the space or universe can be seen. therefore the sky in the night is black.

Also during thunderstorms or rainy days, the sky is blue in the day or black in the night. It is just the sky is fill with clouds with water molecules (rain) makes it look dark, grey or black.

Hope this clears out our problems.
Posted by xenkenny 3 years ago
xenkenny
The sky isn't blue because light reflects off of the ocean, it's blue (while the earth is positioned such that the light of the sun shines onto it) because the sun is white.

White light contains every color, and blue has the shortest wavelength and highest frequency so it interacts with the molecules in the atmosphere more often than the other colors. This disperses the blue color given off from the sun and makes the sky appear blue.

Hope this finds you, as to not carry on the idea that the sun reflects off of the ocean to create a blue sky.
Posted by Beverlee 3 years ago
Beverlee
OMG I never thought of that! lol
Posted by donald.keller 3 years ago
donald.keller
One could argue that, minus light population which only makes it appear darker, the night sky is actually dark blue, but blue none-the-less... Hence Mid-Night Blue.
Posted by Beverlee 3 years ago
Beverlee
It's a debate from high school that we had to do. I wasn't a sophomore, though. I just used it for my first one because I knew what to say. Sorta. I should have said some more, but oh well. I will be more careful next time. (I forgot to say that Vikings are not blue, even though they have blue eyes! **Facepalm**) It's a "the part is not the whole" argument.

I am going to try again! lol
Posted by Beverlee 3 years ago
Beverlee
Thanks!
Posted by emil1 3 years ago
emil1
Hey you are winning. so far congrats.
Posted by Beverlee 3 years ago
Beverlee
It's okay, I didn't even see that.
Posted by emil1 3 years ago
emil1
Sorry *your instead or our in the second arguement
Posted by Beverlee 3 years ago
Beverlee
Hi!
Posted by emil1 3 years ago
emil1
Hi. I am a Grade 10 student.
Vote Placed by sweetbreeze 3 years ago
sweetbreeze
Beverleeemil1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Well, wiploc and Mikal has taken the words out of me. :)
Vote Placed by Mikal 3 years ago
Mikal
Beverleeemil1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con wins because of lack of arguments by pro, but Wiploc was correct when he said it was self defeating. When you claim the "Sky is blue", that is objective. So by saying "it sometimes" is black. You are admitting that it sometimes is blue. Thus it can be blue. Pro failed to address this at all really, so for that arguments to con.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Beverleeemil1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I found con's arguments to be somewhat else defeating, since the blue is actually seen; whereas the night sky is because it is not seen... However pro really confused me in their final round.
Vote Placed by wiploc 3 years ago
wiploc
Beverleeemil1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This seems to me a hard call. The resolution is that the sky is blue. Firstguy seems to think that sometimes-it-is-blue is a rebuttal of that claim. Secondguy agrees that sometimes-it-is-blue, and doesn't indicate whether that is intended as a counter to Firstguy's rebuttal. It's just weird. But since Firstguy thinks she was arguing, and Secondguy isn't clearly arguing, I'm giving it to Firstguy.