Rookie
Votejewbama

The Stanley Cup is the most difficult championship to win in team-based professional organized sport

Started: 6/7/2012 Category: Sports

Rookie

Pro

This is my first debate. Way to pop my cherry.

Me: The Stanley Cup is the most difficult championship for an athlete to win.
You: No.
Me: Oh, it's on like Donkey Kong. Provided Donkey Kong is actually on, of course.

Rules/definitions:

1. All team-based pro non-motor sports can be considered. Think The Ashes is harder to get your hands on? Or the Vince Lombardi trophy? Fair game, but good luck with that.
2. "Difficult" is defined as: the highest level of skill (either inherent or acquired over time) AND most effort required in order to be victorious. Skill+Effort=Difficult

Victor to be decided in The Thunderdome. Or by votes, whichever.

750 char max, 5 rounds. I didn't come here to cry, so be funny (ha-ha, not funny weird).
Votejewbama

Con

This is also my first debate and I'm looking forward to this joust. Many thanks to Rookie for instigating.

Resolution: The Stanley Cup is the most difficult championship to win in team-based professional organized sport.

Position: I both disagree with the stated resolution and counter-argue. It is my belief that the FIFA World Cup is a more difficult championship and I shall be arguing such in subsequent rounds.

Good luck to you.
Rookie

Pro

Best of luck, Jewbama.

Training

In all sports, athletes must often play for decades before developing sufficient skill to play professionally. Hockey is the most-expensive-to-play team-based non-motor sport, requiring purchase of full equipment (>$100) several times as players grow (gear purchased when you're 10 can't be used when you're 15, for example). This financial hurdle - as well the cost of ice time (you can't develop your skills sufficiently without regular access to ice) - eliminates a massive portion of the possible players from developing into professionals.

Soccer requires a round, kickable object.

Later, I'll discuss the type of skill required for each sport, and difficulty of winning the respective championship.
Votejewbama

Con

Training Equipment

The resolution does not state, "The Stanley Cup is the most expensive championship to win in team-based professional organized sport"

While it may be true that expense can prohibit some people from playing hockey in the first place, this does not make the Stanley Cup more difficult to win. It only makes hockey more difficult to practice in general. Geography probably plays more of a prohibitive role in determining who plays hockey. A 15 year old in Minnesota has a much higher chance of playing hockey than a 15 year old in Brazil, even when socio-economic status is accounted for.

Soccer is a global sport, leading to a larger player pool. This makes it much more difficult for players to prove themselves at higher levels.
Rookie

Pro

Rookie forfeited this round.
Votejewbama

Con

Votejewbama forfeited this round.
Rookie

Pro

Rookie forfeited this round.
Votejewbama

Con

Votejewbama forfeited this round.
Rookie

Pro

Rookie forfeited this round.
Votejewbama

Con

Votejewbama forfeited this round.