The Star Wars Prequels are inferior to the Original Trilogy

The debate will precede as follows, the first round will be acceptation and brief statement of views on topic. (1-3 sentences) The second round is where both sides will put up their main argument (at least 2 paragraphs) You may not rebut what your opponent said in rounds 1 and 2 during the second round. Round 3 will be the rebuttals and closing arguments. Swearing is not allowed. Sources must be cited. Best of luck to my opponent.

I think that the Star Wars prequels aren't on the same level as the orginal trilogy, and are a rushed, poorly written, and speical-effects laden 418 minutes.

I agree that the Star Wars prequels aren't on the same level as the original trilogy.. they are better then the originals

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate. Before I start, I would like to say, I don't all out hate these movies, and went to see the last one in theaters. I watched both Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones at least once a month. This debate is all about taking off the nostalgia goggles, and looking at the prequels as what they are, a mediocre follow-up to one of the greatest trilogy's of recent history.

I will begin this round by stating 4 of the big things the prequels did wrong.

Story? Who Needs It to Make Sense?

The writing of the prequels often feels rushed. The plot, at times is completely nonsensical. Why was the crowd in the Senate so easily swayed into believing Palpatine that the Jedi had betrayed the Republic? Why did they cheer him on when he ended that republic, and created an semi-absolute monarchy? Why did no one notice the fact that each and every clone had an order to kill the Jedi at any time?

Also, why did nobody but a CGI 4-handed 50's diner guy know what Kamino is? Why didn't anyone question the fact that the Trade Federation had an army big enough to invade a planet? Why did Anakin still trust Palpatine, even after he tried several times to convert Anakin to the Dark Side? Kid Anakin blowing up the Trade Federation ship, while expert pilots couldn't. Padme dieing of a "broken heart"? Isn't 2 kids enough for you to keep living? The list goes on and on.

Explosions! That Will Entertain Them! Explosions and CGI!

The special effects on the prequels easily outclass the older effects of the original trilogy. However, the confusing plot makes it so we don't care about what's happening to the people in this CGI shots. All we end up caring about is how awesome the shot looks. The best example of this was the opening scene of the Revenge of the Sith. When I first watched it, and saw Anakin and Obi-wan's fighters weaving around the battle, I was blown away by the CGI. It was some of the best I'd ever seen. The problem is, I didn't care about the people in those spaceships. I just simply didn't care, and that is one of the greatest crimes of the prequels. It hides behind impressive special effects, and fails to tell us a good story.

Don't Bother to Develop Anyone, We'll Just Kill Them Off!

The prequels characters are underdeveloped in the best cases. Some, however, just get a labeled a name, what they do, and one or two sentence about them. Qui-Gon, Mace Windu, Darth Maul. For example, Name: Darth Maul Occupation: Evil Person About Yourself: I was raised by Darth Sidous in the arts of the dark side as his apperitance. See?

Since they lack development, we don't care when they die because we don't know them. It's like hearing that someone died on the news. You're sad, but not for more than a few minutes at most.

You Know What the Kids Love Watching? Senate Debates! Let's put in Tons of Senate Debates!

In reality, there are few things more boring than a Senate debate. The prequels can be extremely boring at some points. For all their CGI driven action scenes, there are at least two or three dull scenes involving people sitting on a couch, in some chairs, standing around a table, or standing in floating hovercraft. These diologe scenes would be interesting, if, yes we're coming back to this again, we cared about what they are talking about. In most cases, we don't.

Not to say it's all bad, there is some good stuff, manly at the end of Revenge of the Sith. Still, I often foud myself more interested in what was happening in the CGI backgrounds than what the people in the foreground were talking about.

Now that I've adressed the major issues with the prequels, I'll adress some nitpicks of mine in a lighting round

Jar Jar Binks

Spawn of Satan, next.

One of the worst crimes the prequels commited, next.

Kid Boba Fett

Just no, no.

In all seriousness, Thank you Con for accepting this arguement.

Barricade forfeited this round.

Since my opponent has abandoned this site, (check his profile page) I will not be posting for this round, since I have nothing to rebut. Remember to vote Pro!

Barricade forfeited this round.