The Star Wars series is better than The Harry Potter film series.

Hello. I would like to present the debate topic that:
"The Star Wars franchise is better than The Harry Potter franchise."
Before I begin I would like to set a few definitions:
better; adj. of a more effective or excellent type of quality
series; noun. a number of things, events, or people of a similar kind or related nature coming one after another

I am looking for a legitimate debate. No trollers, no teasers please. Maybe next time but not now. I'm looking for a good fight.
In terms of the word "better", you can research anything related to the film series itself: box-office, reception, cult-following etc. to strengthen your arguments.

I'm hoping someone will accept please.

Hello, I would like to thank Samsoknite for offering this topic, "The Star Wars series is better than The Harry Potter film series." For the remainder of this debate I will refer to my opponent as, "pro," when referring to his/her arguments.

The "pro" also laid out some definitions to give more detail to the topic, these are...
"better; adj. of a more effective or excellent type of quality
series; noun. a number of things, events, or people of a similar kind or related nature coming one after another."

The "pro" also laid out parameters so judge each film series to determine which is "better," "you can research anything related to the film series itself: box-office, reception, cult-following etc."

Since he offered the debate, I comply and agree with the definitions offered.

I will obviously be the "con" and view the topic in the opposition. So I will hold that the Harry Potter film series is "better" than the Star Wars series. Both of these series, according the opponents definition, should focus on each series as a whole. So episode "1-6" for Star Wars should all and only be acceptable for debate while various other animated film and novels should not be acceptable. The Harry Potter series should focus on the film series (not the book series), ranging from "The Sorcerers Stone," to "The Deathly Hallows part 1 & 2." My opponent by offering this debate should take into his concession that the Harry Potter series has 2 more films than the Star Wars series and is also based on popular source material.

Since the pro, didn't make any arguments in round 1 I feel it would be an unfair advantage for the con to have the first and last word. So I will wait for my opponents initial arguments in round 2 before I respond and make my arguments.

Thank you zware for accepting my debate. I look forward to a good debate.

I as pro, will present my arguments, that the Star Wars film series is better than The Harry Potter film series.

When Star Wars was first revealed to the general public, no-one expected it to succeed. It was predicted to be silly and campy, being predicted to have either the mean wobbly sets of Star Trek or special effects on par with Ed Wood's Plan 9 from Outer Space. When Star Wars was released, everyone knew they were dead wrong.

George Lucas, creator of the Star Wars franchise, revolutionized the science-fiction genre, making it more popular amongst the public, and soon after its release, a boom of science-fictions emerged, cementing science-fiction as a blockbuster genre.
George Lucas also revolutionized the way filmmakers use special effects and computer graphics. If Star Wars had not been released, movies based around special effects like Lord Of The Rings, Twilight and even Harry Potter would not have been as good as they are now.
He impacted the way filmmakers and marketers promote their movie, with merchandising for films increasing after the release of Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi.
George Lucas also revolutionized the film industry itself. After the release of Star Wars, the focus of the films made in Hollywood was switched from dramatic stories, with conflicts and meaningful themes and messages to special-effects heavy films, with a large dependency on effects and computer generated imagery.
While Harry Potter has impacted society and gained a large following, it hasn't really done something to CHANGE the industry.
Harry Potter for sure didn't revolutionize the fantasy genre, seeing as how films like The Neverending Story and The Wizard Of Oz had already done so before.
The HP franchise, although very effects heavy, did not affect the way CGI is used and implemented in a film, with films like Lord Of The Rings, Avatar and Inception introducing new ways to far superior than the HP franchise
The HP franchise hasn't affected the way marketing for movies takes places, doing all the basic marketing ploys that other films like Star Wars and Muppets had implemented.

Star Wars has been nominated for Academy Awards than Harry Potter (nominated 15 times as opposed to HP being nominated 12 times) and has won more Academy Awards than Harry Potter (won 10 as opposed to HP winning nothing).

And for the most part, the Star Wars franchise is more diverse in terms of the awards its been nominated for. The Star Wars franchise has been nominated for/won:
Best Supporting Actor
Best Art Direction/Set Decoration (WON)
Best Costume Design (WON)
Best Director
Best Film Editting (WON)
Best Makeup
Best Original Score (WON)
Best Picture
Best Original Screenplay
Best Sound Editing
Best Sound Mixing (WON)
Best Visual Effects (WON)

The Awards the HP franchise has been nominated for as follows:
Best Art Direction
Best Costume Design
Best Original Score
Best Visual Effects
Best Cinematography
Best Makeup

The Star Wars franchise is responsible for some of the most memorable lines in the movies, and equally so, some of the most copied lines in film history.
"I've got a baaaaad feeling about this." -Han Solo
"Luke, I am your father." - Darth Vader
"Search you feelings boy, you know it to be true." - Darth Vader/Darth Sidious
"May The Force Be With You." - Yoda/Obi-Wan/Anakin/Qui-Gon Jin
"Noooooooooooooo!" - Darth Vader
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - Darth Vader
"Wipe them out. All of them." - Darth Sidious
"Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope." - Princess Leia
"The Force is strong in this one." - Darth Vader

PRINCESS LEIA: "I love you."
HAN SOLO: "I know."

Now, in the Harry Potter franchise, tell me at least 4 memorable quotes in the HP franchise, that AREN'T the name of spells, and is known by all to be one of the most memorable lines in movie history.

The Star Wars franchise can stand on its own without having to ENTIRELY depend on the success of the Star Wars films.
There has been a total of 82 videogames released, that have all been based off of the Star Wars franchise, with Lego Star Wars and Battlefront selling 12 million and 10 million units respectively and the Star Wars: The Old Republic MMORPH gaining 1 million subscribers within the span of three days, making it the world's "FASTEST GROWING MMO Ever", outdoing the likes of World Of Warcraft, which, in its own right, is popular as well worldwide.
The HP series has had 13 videogames released, all based on the HP mythos. None of these have broken any records, and critically, they aren't groundbreaking either.
Star Wars has also been expanded upon in a series of spin-off films:
-The Star Wars Holiday Special
-Caravan Of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
-Ewoks; The Battle Of Endor
-The Great Heep
-Lego Star Wars: The Quest For R2-D2

The HP Franchise hasn't been expanded upon in any films, with the exception of some books which explore the mythos and creatures created in the franchise such as: Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them by Newt Scamander or the Tales Of Beatle The Bard. None of these have sold exceptionally well or been made popular.

Toys are also Star Wars strength, with a variety of lightsabres, Lego Sets, blasters, stuffed toys, costumes and masks being distributed around the world.
The toys related to the HP series is limited to pretend wands, stuffed toys, Lego sets, costumes and masks.

The Star Wars universe is so huge that the possibilities in terms of stories is so large. Stories have been made that have covered different species in different universes in the galaxy, or past events that have led to the events of the main franchise, or the aftermath of the events of the main franchise and the rebuilding of the galaxy and the introduction of new antagonist and enemies, or the events of a conflict in the eyes of another character. There's so many things to cover in Star Wars that has not been covered yet.
Look at the videogames related to the Star Wars franchise. 65% of them cover aspects of the Star Wars franchise not covered in the main fiml series.

Now look at the HP series. What can they cover? They can cover the fictional historical figures introduced in the Harry Potter books, they can cover the lives of the other supporting characters introduced in the HP franchise, they can cover the past events that have lead up to the main franchises inception, . But that's pretty much the majority of the areas which can be explored. You could argue that you could explore the adventures of the kids of Harry Potter and whatnot, but that would REALLY seem like a "milking-the-cow" scenario. It would mean that the author/creator would have to introduce a new villain which outdoes the looming presence of the very popular Voldemort, and still make it possible for that villain to exist in terms of continuity with the canon. The HP universe has been boldy defined by its start (HARRY POTTER 1) and its end (HARRY POTTER 7/8) that introducing new stories into the series would be a risky move, seeing as how the author would have to try and make it fit in naturally with the main franchise.
Star Wars has a more broader, and more diverse canon than Harry Potter.
This concludes my arguments for ROUND 2.

zware forfeited this round.

My opponent has not submitted his R2 arguments, so for the final round I can make no rebuttals.

So, instead I will conclude my side of the argument.

I think the Star Wars series is better than the Harry Potter film series because:

- it impacted more aspects of the film industry than Harry Potter did.
- it has been nominated for more Academy Awards than Harry Potter
- it had more memorable writing than that of the Harry Potter franchise
- it is more successful from a merchandising point-of-view
- the canon and mythology is denser and open to more possibilites than Harry Potter.

My arguments and point still stands because my opponent has not refuted the claims and has not made an effort to submit any arguments for his SIDE of the debate.
I presented the reasoning and evidence for all my arguments in R2.

Thank you. This concludes my side of the debate.

zware forfeited this round.
Posted by Dik_Dawg 4 years ago
Samsoknite is not a good debater. If he wins, it is just due to the luck he had with his opponent. Vote con
Posted by KILLUMINATI 4 years ago
KILLUMINATI o m/watch?v=AxAEo3CWeq8
Posted by KILLUMINATI 4 years ago
This explains it all if you do not laugh you are not human........
Posted by Sapiens 4 years ago
"I like vanilla ice cream, therefore it is better"
"No, I like chocolate ice cream, therefore it is better!"

These kind of debates seem to be useless.
Posted by imabench 4 years ago
kyro, maikuru is saying that the PREQUELS (1,2, and 3) are the ones that are so incredibly bad, not 4,5, and 6
Posted by Deathbeforedishonour 4 years ago
Wait how were they horrible? And Star War's story in general trumps everything about Harry Potter. Nuff Said.
Posted by kyro90 4 years ago
Yeah, Id have to agree. The movies after the third for start wars were absolutly horrible.
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
The original trilogy alone is probably superior to the Harry Potter series, but the prequels are so incredibly bad that they actually give Potter the edge. It's like what Godfather 3 did to the first two, only so much worse. It's like if they told us Michael Corleone was a good mobster because of tiny organisms called midichlorians in his body.
Posted by tvellalott 4 years ago
Prequel trilogy. 'Nuff said.