surprisingly_a_vertebrate
SeventhProfessor

The "Start Three Debates" requirement for voting is too much verification.

SeventhProfessor

surprisingly_a_vertebrate

Pro

Debate.org is more likely to lose potential debators than to stop spammers and cheaters with this rule. There should still be some other form of verification along with the cell phone number check (another thing I don't agree with, but that's for another debate), but it should be easier to accomplish. In my case, after signing up, I was browsing the debates and found one I really liked. I tried to vote on it, and couldn't becuase of the verification. I entered my cell number, but when I got to the start three debates requirement, I almost left. This requirement is likely to spawn stupid debate topics from people like me who just want to be able to vote before they forget about a debate, or to turn them away from this site. I am interested to hear someone else's take on this, so please only respond if you are serious.
SeventhProfessor

Con

"Debate.org is more likely to lose potential debators than to stop spammers and cheaters with this rule."

How will they lose potential debaters? They are making it so debating is required before full access to all of the site's features, certainly not discouraging debating. Also, it gives all voters debate experience, so they know how annoying spamming and cheating is. Although it does lead some people to make one round debates in an effort to cheat the system, but that's nearly unavoidable.

"This requirement is likely to spawn stupid debate topics from people like me who just want to be able to vote before they forget about a debate, or to turn them away from this site. I am interested to hear someone else's take on this, so please only respond if you are serious."

Yes, people do start small debates in order to verify faster, but if they're about dumb topics they are reported. While this is also most likely one of these, it's about an interesting topic.
Posted by Cygnus 3 years ago
Cygnus
I'd vote but I haven't had three debates yet. :/
Vote Placed by donald.keller 3 years ago
donald.keller
surprisingly_a_vertebrateSeventhProfessorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made a whole case... And Con refuted everything. Because it only had one round, Pro couldn't refute Con's arguments... Single round debates are almost impossible to win.