ZachLenix
RationalMadman

The State Gov'ts should be focusing on Re-Interesting the Students

RationalMadman

ZachLenix

Pro

Forgive me if this argument seems premature or low-rate. This is my first debate on this website, and I am 18, so my skills in argument may be of a lower quality than another's. This debate is also to introduce a factor in US education that I feel is often ignored.

The matter I wished to discuss or to bring attention to is the student opinion of school and its effects on the United States education specifically. Being as I am still in high school, I have the benefit of observing my fellow students and the impacts various education plans (particularly State plans) have had on them.

You see, lately, the education of the United States has been "dumbed-down" as of late, and the State has attempted to undergo many programs to decrease the drop-out rate. However, the reason the drop out rate is still astonishingly high, and the scores of students ridiculously low, is due to student dis-interest in school.

Teenagers have, through societal and domestic conditioning, psychologically learned to believe that school is useless, and the "not-cool" thing to do. Thus, they actively choose to not study, do their work, or pay attention in class. Instead they go to parties to get wasted or become overly-involved in their high school social lives. Often I have observed fellow students texting ANYONE they can because to them academics are useless.

This is a major issue. Without intelligent, non-ignorant Americans in our society, then prejudice, racism, anti-semitism and all other forms of discrimination could worsen in our Country. We will also be able to not compete as effectively with other nations such as the UK or Germany.

The State must find an effective way to re-interest students in academics. Perhaps tell students at early ages the truth: that school is the most effecitve way to proceed through life. Do not misinterpret that solution, however. In no way should students not pursue their dreams (i.e. fitness trainer, football player, doctor, lawyer...). However, the complete and negligent disregard of school by the students is still unacceptable and is the biggest factor and should be the biggest focus by the State to improve education.

Again, I apologize if this argument seems lesser, for it is still my first debate, and my education is not as advanced as many of your's may be. Any advice for later discussions would be greatly appreciated.
RationalMadman

Con

You cannot focus on the impossible and it is impossible to know what would interest teenagers. What interests 100 teens here might not interest another 400 teens elsewhere. The very teen sitting next to another might become interested in a topic for totally different purposes do you really want to 'advertise' education ITSELF to a state-wide audience with each individual either being disgusted by, attracted to or indifferent towards education afterwards since everyone is entitled to draw different opinions from the very same publicity about education? You are too unrealistic and foolish. Government spending must be to assist best those who realise what is good for them in life and those who really want to go far in the world. After all we do actually need uneducated people to do working-class jobs, I mean if we got all students highly interested EVERYONE would get A*'s and then we'd have no one left to sweep the roads! This isn't at all what should be encouraged. Individuals will be individuals and to deny this is severe communism.

You can't alter, and shouldn't alter, every students' opinion to become interested in education if you plan on using the same method for each. It's like saying if I slap one person and slap another they will react the same... No they won't and very likely they will have totally different ways of doing the 'same' thing.
I look forward to an intense, heated debate on the matter.

Thanks for reading and over to pro.
ZachLenix

Pro

ZachLenix forfeited this round.
RationalMadman

Con

Forfeiture by pro.
ZachLenix

Pro

ZachLenix forfeited this round.
RationalMadman

Con

Next time think things through. Thanks.
Vote Placed by InVinoVeritas 4 years ago
InVinoVeritas
ZachLenixRationalMadmanTied