Saoirsesfather
Ghost_of_yours

The State vs Sydney Briggs (Sydney Briggs is Guilty)

Saoirsesfather

Con

Hi, this is a mock mock trial. I will be the defense or against the claim that Sydney Briggs is guilty of:

1. Criminal Mischief in the First Degree
2. Criminal Trespassing in the Second Degree

All info for your case can be found here: http://www.cclce.org...

The prosecution must prove each and every element of each offence beyond reasonable doubt.

Evidence

Only the following items may be introduced at trial, to the size specifications listed below. All material will be included in the trial packet unless noted below.

1. Map of William Jennings Bryan Middle School. The reproduction may be no larger than 22"
x 28"
2. Baseball bat, furnished by the prosecution. The bat must have a length of between 30"
and 32" and have a barrel diameter of between 2 ⅝" and 2 �"
3. Damage bill. The reproduction may be no larger than 22" x 28"
4. Police report. The reproduction may be no larger than 22" x 28"
5. Piece of ripped flannel clothing, furnished by the prosecution. The piece of cloth may be no larger than 6" x 6"

Stipulations

The prosecution and the defense stipulate to the following:
1. There were no readable fingerprints found at the scene of the crime
2. The damage bill is stipulated to be true
3. The police report is stipulated to be true
4. All standard forensic procedures were followed in the investigation of the crime
5. Both sides stipulate that there was no forensic evidence found at the scene of the crime other than the piece of clothing and the baseball bat
6. Both sides stipulate that the arrest of Sydney Briggs was made in accordance with standard police procedure

Witnessess:

Each side (prosecution and defense) will receive three witnesses. The defense cannot use the prosecution's witnesses to help their case unless that info is FIRST presented by the prosecution. Likewise, the prosecution cannot use the defenses's witness as to help their case unless that info is FIRST presented by the defense. Please note that if either side uses the oppositions witnesses before they are allowed, that round will be considered a forfeit to the perpetrator.

For the prosecution:

Detective Francis Nevico
Lee Meng
Taylor Conroy

For the defense:
Sydney Briggs
Chris Briggs
Shaun Lawson

The fact pattern is nothing more than a summary of what happened. It is not proof nor is it evidence for this case.

Stipulations

4. All standard forensic procedures were followed in the investigation of the
crime

Again, please refer to this website for the info regarding this case: http://www.cclce.org...

The prosecution is seeking to find a guilty charge on BOTH charges. If the prosecution feels that they cannot prove the Criminal Mischief Charge, they must (at any point during the debate) inform the readers that they are no longer pushing for a guilty charge of Criminal Mischief and have decided to only go after Criminal Trespassing.

If the prosecution does not verbally say, "I am no longer seeking a guilty charge of Criminal Mischief" and Sydney Briggs is found "NOT GUILTY", Sydney Briggs will be NOT GUILTY on ALL CHARGES.

As a voter, you a "juror". By voting CON, you are voting NOT GUILTY for Sydney Briggs. If you vote PRO, you are voting GUILTY for Sydney Briggs.

The debate (trial) structure will be as follows:

Round 1: Acceptance of debate challenge
Round 2: Opening Statements (No evidence presented or discussed in detail during this round)
Round 3: Present Argument/Evidence
Round 4: Counter Argument/Evidence
Round 5: Closing Statements/Evidence
Ghost_of_yours

Pro

Saoirsesfather

Con

Ladies and gentleman of debate.org, I feel as though I am obliged to represent Sydney Briggs. Sydney Briggs is more than just an average kid. He is a respected athlete as acting captain of his basketball team. He strives for good grades and takes his school career very seriously. He helps his friends, respects authority and his school. Evidence (or lack thereof) will show that Sydney Briggs was not the culprit and that he was nothing more than a scapegoat.

I can certainly understand the feeling of wanting to find the person or persons responsible for such a reckless act of vandalism. Finding the culprit and ensuring justice is served is of the upmost importance. But arresting the first person accused, following an investigation that lasted no longer than a week, an investigation that has not a shred of evidence is not how justice is served.

I want to remind the court that the prosecution has to prove to you that Sydney Briggs broke into his school and caused damage to tangible property and he did so beyond all reasonable doubt. This means that there cannot be an alternative explanation and that you have to find Sydney Briggs guilty of Criminal Trespass and Criminal Mischief.

During the course of this preceding, you will be made privy to some of the evidence; I ask that you ask yourself one thing when reviewing the evidence: "what does this evidence show me and what doesn't the evidence show me?"
I want you to know that the evidence in this case will show that it is not simply possible. It is not possible that Sydney Briggs could have committed the crimes he's accused.

At the end of this case, you will understand why Sydney Briggs should be found not guilty of all charges and why he should go back to being a good student and the captain of his basketball team.
Ghost_of_yours

Pro

May it please the court, ladies and gentlemen of Debate.org. on behalf of the state of New Justice. as indicated, Sydney Briggs is more then just an average kid: He's the captain of his basketball team, he strives for good grades, and takes his high school career VERY SERIOUSLY. So much so, that he's even willing to destroy whatever posies a threat to said career..... Even for something as small as a middle school chemistry test!

Ladies and gentlemen, If there is any justice left in this decaying system we call America. I implore you to not let this violent crime go unpunished..

Thank You.
Saoirsesfather

Con

Saoirsesfather forfeited this round.
Ghost_of_yours

Pro

Ladies and gentlemen, Ladies and gentlemen, Ladies and gentlemen
These actions are not the actions of a innocent man.
Saoirsesfather

Con

Saoirsesfather forfeited this round.
Ghost_of_yours

Pro

Let me ask you jury....... Do i look like b***h?.............. DO I LOOK LIKE A B***H?............... then why are you trying to f**k me like a b***h, brad?
Saoirsesfather

Con

The defense has no further statements. You do not look like a B***H. We rest our case or lack thereof.
Ghost_of_yours

Pro

ladies and gentleman.
one word and one word only could describe Mr. Briggs.
(black)

than you and goodnight
Posted by sydney.briggs 4 years ago
sydney.briggs
Hello. I was wondering if you could please change the name of the 'Sydney Briggs' character in your mock trial as this is my legal name. Thank you.
Posted by Saoirsesfather 5 years ago
Saoirsesfather
I want to apologize for my lack of a response in round 3. My father just arrived and we were not able to post an argument in time. We fully accept the consequences of our lack of a response.

We will continue the debate.