dmessy
Dwight_Schrute

The Steelers will win the super bowl this season

Started: 7/17/2016 Category: Sports

dmessy

Pro

Round 1 is acceptance.
I will argue that the Steelers will win the super bowl this season. My opponent will argue that they will not.
Dwight_Schrute

Con

Okay I'm happy to accept this debate. Just so you know, I'm a diehard Pittsburgh fan, but I doubt they have the potential to gain a super bowl appearance, much less a win. I hope for a good debate.
dmessy

Pro

I believe that the Steelers will win the super bowl this year despite being under the radar for most people. The Steelers are coming off of a year where they managed to advance to the second round of the playoffs, ultimately losing to the eventual champions the Denver Broncos. However, this year they are likely to be a much better team than they were last year. The Steelers undeniably have one of the top 3 offenses in the league. With the Trio of Le'veon Bell, Antonio Brown, and Big Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers can put up huge numbers. This leaves the majority of the pressure on the defense. To begin with, the Steelers had a better defense last year than people realize. They finished 11th in points allowed and their run defense was exceptional. The biggest issue was the passing defense which will be much improved this year. Now entering his second year with the Steelers, defensive coordinator, Keith Butler will be able to get his defense looking exceptional.
Dwight_Schrute

Con

The Steelers are not really a viable pick for 2016 Super Bowl Champions because they just are not ready to take that big step. They have the weapons on offense to win a playoff game, but they just don't have the consistency. The Steelers are constantly losing to second and third tier teams. Last year it was losing to the Ravens twice, the year before that they lost to the Bucs, Browns, Jets, and Saints. The big story last year was their chronic failure against higher level teams. If you cannot beat the Patriots, Chiefs, or Broncos (They did beat them once, but not when it mattered.), then you cannot compete in the AFC. The teams I just listed have only gotten better this offseason and the Steelers have gotten a weaker secondary and an overall less competitive team. The loss of Martavius puts too much pressure on Brown, so he will probably be overworked and injured. Ben is getting older and more susceptible to injury. It will be near impossible for them to beat the Pats or the Broncos.
dmessy

Pro

Last year, the two best teams in the AFC were the Broncos and the Patriots. The Steelers lost to each of them by just 7 points and beat the Broncos once by 7 points as well. As a result, all I need to prove is that the Steelers will be a little bit better than they were last year. As stated before, Keith Butler is entering his second year meaning that his defense will look a lot better than it did. In addition, we have new talent on defense with draft picks Artie Burns and Sean Davis. Senquez Golson also joins the team after being injured his rookie year. As a result the secondary will be much improved! Also, the Steelers sustained an enormous amount of injuries last year which are unlikely to continue. Those 2 things will be enough to push Pittsburgh to a super bowl victory. The Martavis Bryant loss is disappointing but Markus Wheaton had just 16 fewer yards last season! He will step up to the plate. Our difficulty beating bad teams has no bearing on the playoffs, which we will make!
Dwight_Schrute

Con

The steelers lost to both teams last in matches that appeared to be close but only deceivingly so. They weren't really in those games as they trailed by two scores in the fourth quarter in both of them. The steelers haven't really gotten any better this offseason. They did poorly in the draft as usual and Lardarius Green was the only decent free agent pickup. He won't make a difference, he's just a substitute for Miller. The draft picks were no-name dbs who won't make a big impact, much less a starter. Burns and Davis don't make the top ten list of almost every draft analyst. Analyst Doug Farrar said
Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert has a history of slightly overdrafting defensive players from a value perspective, and Burns fits that category. He's a ridiculous athlete... but, he's going to need time to deal with the complexities of NFL route concepts
Defense is no better, Keith hasn't "evolved"
Injurybound
Wheaton had less yards in 16 games than Bryant had in 11
Vote Con
Posted by dmessy 8 months ago
dmessy
Yeah hopefully, the Patriots are gonna be tough though
\
Posted by Dwight_Schrute 8 months ago
Dwight_Schrute
Maybe I'm wrong! I hope so...
Posted by dmessy 1 year ago
dmessy
Glad to know I debated with a Pittsburgh fan. :)
Posted by Dwight_Schrute 1 year ago
Dwight_Schrute
Yeah I could have used a few more characters but that's okay. Good debate! I really want to win the debate, but I hope that you will actually be right. Go Steelers
Posted by dmessy 1 year ago
dmessy
Thanks for the debate con.
I should've given us 2,000 characters for this one, my bad.
May the best argument win
Posted by dmessy 1 year ago
dmessy
This is my first debate on this website so forgive me if I don't exactly follow the right format or anything.