UTC-JNB-Ngugu
MonasheeMan

The Suburbs.

UTC-JNB-Ngugu

Con

In this debate I will be holding the stance of anti-suburbanite (Con). My opponent will be challenging my stance in favor of such a way of life (Pro). This debate will be focused towards the American suburbs.

Rules: Do not flame, use personal attacks or excess obscenity. None of that "dirty Commie" nonsense or anything of that nature. This is a debate, not a witch hunt. Other than that, there are few, if any other issues to address.

Stage 1: Introduce stance and self. This is more of a personal standpoint as well as where you come from, which may influence your decisions. You may point out anything you wish to discuss in later stages.
Stage 2: Defend your stance. At this point, you should locate online sources pertaining to your position regarding the topic at hand. Forums, articles, news, etc. goes. Sorry, no Wikipedia (as much as I'd love to).
Stage 3: Rebuttal. Counter-argue your opponent's in-depth stance.
Stage 4: Conclusion. Explain your stance in a closing statement. This is somewhat also on a personal standpoint, as well as using the sources found.

*The ticker marked Round 1 is only the condition of the debate. My challenger should simply state that they accept and have a quick explanation of their own stance.*
MonasheeMan

Pro

Hello,

I'm new to Debate.org, and I am certainly looking forward to a debate that is becoming more and more relevant as urban populations continue to grow, and the necessity to make decisions on the our future lifestyles grows with them. As far as my viewpoint is concerned, at this stage I think that it will be enough to say that suburbs are not an inherently bad thing. Having made that much clear, I will leave the Con side to present its arguments before I articulate my point of view any further.

Looking forward to a good debate.
UTC-JNB-Ngugu

Con

Stage 1: Personal (In-depth stance).

Having lived in both the "suburb" and a high-rise apartment in a major city, I have pretty much developed a hatred for the "American Dream"-esque suburban environment. I lived in such a place for five years during foreign exchange and at the time, moved here. Initially, I had little care of it because I was little more than a foreigner high-school teenager who sat at home and played video games and as such, had little care of the effects of living here.
But time went on, and I grew to realize that everything was seemingly out of reach. The endless row of large, suburban houses divided by 6-8 lane roads was becoming almost surreal. The nearest place to my home that wasn't another bloody house was a high school some 1.3 km away, at the edge of walkability. Stores, schools, IRL friends, and pretty much everything is unreachable on foot and mass transit is only marginally faster than going somewhere on foot. This also explains why I had no life. I had some friends in school but they all lived at least 5-10 km away, some as far as 70. Over-sized houses and cars as a symbol of freedom, especially when it spreads out so? Is it really freedom if you ABSOLUTELY MUST own a car to get to well, anywhere?
People also have IMO, been certainly more rude and individualistic. Door-to-door salesmen, Jehovah's Witnesses, Scientologists, some twat selling insurance or Girl Scout Cookies ($3.50 for expired biscuits), political misconceptions and general hostility of people at times when you step half a centimeter onto their lawn because there's no sidewalk. The generally homogenous environment of many suburbs makes it hard to "fit in" also. People will also say that suburbs are for families that wish to have kids or already do. But who says you can't raise a functional family in an urban area, living in a 70-100 m2 unit on the 18th floor?
Unlike in most apartments, if there's faults with the building damages, cracks in walls, piping broken, appliances broken, etc. there's no landlord to contact. You gotta pay for it yourself with your own money directly. Which costs hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. There are also extra things to look after. You have to mow lawns or else it will get overgrown and you may be fined, you have to rake leaves, which pose a fire hazard, if you have a pool its a liability, because someone will undoubtedly drown in it, either deliberately or accidentally and you're in trouble then. And there's all those ordinances to deal with as well - you may get in trouble for having a vegetable garden in your yard when it is said that laws should only have some bushes, flowers and green grass. The suburbs are also quite wasteful of resources.
I have since then moved back overseas into my hometown of JNB. I once again live in the same high-rise apartment I lived in half a decade ago (and no, I'm not one of those rich kids). Here, I have no need for a car. I can get where I need to go, on foot. A university campus is <5 minutes walk from me, my workplace is 5 minutes away, most stores are 5-15 minutes away, there's 2 mosques, one 15 minutes away and the other 20 minutes way, access to CBD's is 10-20 minutes away. If I need to go any further, I can take the bus and/or trains which show up more frequently. Also in a more Euro-centric city, I finally have somewhat of a life (No I don't) with access to entertainment, places to shop, eat and several IRL friends within that 20 minute/1.5 km distance. Oh, and all of it on foot. And I feel more comfortable living in a more diverse and open "neighborhood" IMO. Despite that, JNB is obviously not a paradise, though it has improved recently.

*Stage 2 will be using reputable sources and reliable data to defend/support your own claims. It will focus directly on facts, numbers, sources, etc. in lieu of personal sentiment. Use whatever you feel is fitting and can be put on a graph.*
MonasheeMan

Pro

Con, I must say that I am rather happy to see that our first round of arguments does not require any research, as I have been quite busy as of late completing a paper for my department at the university. That aside "aside", let me write two somewhat brief paragraphs on both my personal experience with the suburbs, and my vision for how they can become an even more enjoyable, convenient, healthy, and generally excellent place to live.
Firstly, I would like to discuss my personal experience with the suburbs. I grew up in, and continue to live in, the suburbs of a nice city, in a developed Western nation. I have to say that my experiences have been nothing but pleasant. I love the fact that you can get to know your neighbours well, have lots of space to play, grow, and raise a family, and that you get more value for your money when it comes to living space. Growing up, my neighbours and my own family took down the fences in between our houses" backyards so as to create a large activities space that we could all use. My current neighbours are on excellent terms with my family, and we have spent a number of glorious days watching our kids play while having beers on the deck. I think that these examples serve to highlight the immensely higher liveability of the suburbs when contrasted with urban environments.
Con, I know that you brought up a lot of objections to the perceived inconvenience of the suburbs. You said that you dislike the notion of having to own a car, and that everything was too far away. If this was the case where I live, or had of been the case where I grew up, I would be very disgruntled too. And, I"m sure that in some cases, your experiences would ring true to the many inhabitants of these suburban neighbourhoods. This in mind, in further rounds I will be highlighting the innovative work that can be done to streamline transportation in these neighbourhoods, so as to make all aspects of the semi-urban environment more accessible to the average inhabitant. I will also be discussing the Central Place Theory, and its implications on how more and more services will become available to suburbanites as their neighbourhoods grow, and begin to develop more centralized centres of activity. I will also be talking about the various issues associated with urban environments, and will be contrasting them to the better conditions already found in suburban areas.
Con, I look forward to another round of fruitful debate.
UTC-JNB-Ngugu

Con

UTC-JNB-Ngugu forfeited this round.
MonasheeMan

Pro

MonasheeMan forfeited this round.
UTC-JNB-Ngugu

Con

UTC-JNB-Ngugu forfeited this round.
MonasheeMan

Pro

MonasheeMan forfeited this round.
UTC-JNB-Ngugu

Con

UTC-JNB-Ngugu forfeited this round.
MonasheeMan

Pro

MonasheeMan forfeited this round.
Posted by UTC-JNB-Ngugu 3 years ago
UTC-JNB-Ngugu
Ugh. I fell ill and missed the debate.
Posted by UTC-JNB-Ngugu 3 years ago
UTC-JNB-Ngugu
Oh wow I just realized, I should have changed the title to "Suburbs provide a free, comfortable and viable lifestyle". Perhaps that would be worded better.
Posted by Khaos_Mage 3 years ago
Khaos_Mage
Yes, suburbs exist. I WIN!!!!!!
What, specifically, are you wanting to debate?
Change the resolution to reflect that, preferably in the negaitive, so you can be pro.
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
You well-groomed, hygienic Commie!!