The Supreme Court Decision On Gay Marriage Was Right

Hello. I saw your comment on wanting to accept this topic with me, so I am deleting the original and I challenged you. First round is acceptance, and I am arguing the position that it was the correct choice for the Supreme Court to legalize gay marriage.

I accept and wish my opponent "Good Luck"!

The right to marry whoever one wants is not restricted to a certain pairing of genders. Legally, marriage is not specified to be between a man and a woman, and this is a good thing. Regardless of what gender someone is, the should be able to marry the person they love. If this means a man and a man, or a woman and a woman, the government has no right to restrict it. One of the main principles that America was founded on is "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Happiness if specific to a person, especially when it comes to matters of love. The "pursuit of happiness" should only be restricted by law when the happiness of one person comes at the cost of the unhappiness of many. This does not hold for gay marriage. If two people of the same gender wish to be married, then it doesn't cause unhappiness to many people, and it does bring happiness to two people. While some people may disapprove of people of the same gender being married, the marriage does not, or should not, cause them to be unsafe, harmed, or unhappy. Only when the happiness of one causes pain to many should it be restricted. Gay marriage makes many people happy, by allowing them to be with the people they love. At the same time, those people being married does not cause harm to others. Therefore, gay marriage is completely legal, and the government has no right to restrict it.

To begin my argument of the topic, the Supreme Court's decision on why Gay Marriage was not right, I will address a few definitions given within the topic. "Gay Marriage" is defined as: "Marriage between partners of the same sex (as recognized in some jurisdictions)".

In my opening argument, I stated that Gay Marriage being legalized is wrong because of ensuing a ton of arguments in religious beliefs. My opponents first argument, that he brought up, is that Gay Marriage should be legalized because of having a right to marry whoever anyone desires. I agree with that statement, but should more stay as a state law and not a country law. There are only 13 of the 50 states of the United States that did not allow Gay Marriage, so the couple has many states that allow the idea. If a same sex couple loves each other that much, they will take the time to move to a state that allows Gay Marriage and get married; otherwise they can happily just be dating.

To support this claim of dating, stated in a Huffington Post titled: "10 Reasons it's Totally Fine to Never get Married", when a couple gets married; there is more chaos, than just being a couple. Examples are having to put more "trust" among another, which places more stress upon the individuals; and a higher chance of a divorce rate. Compared to just a simple break up, which is worse? A system that has actually been said to "work" for same sex couples, besides marriage, is a policy titled: "Domestic Partnership". A Domestic Partnership is defined as: "Interpersonal relationship between two individuals who live together and share a common domestic life but are not married (to each other or to anyone else)". Basically a marriage, but not a true marriage; which has actually been more beneficial in a same sex couple, than marriage. With having the ability to date, but not having too much legalization on certain elements compared to a marriage. So if my opponent's main argument is that a same sex couple should have a right to marry each other, why not use this method instead of marriage? Why "light the fuse" against religious beliefs, that will cause more conflict, than this simple solution?

While the fact that most religions oppose Gay Marriage, the numbers say that they strongly oppose Gay Marriage. On the website of Public Religion, most religions are against the idea of same sex couples; and to even support this fact even further, in a poll taken last year, it states that 83% of Americans follow a certain religion. The highest being Christianity, and second being Judaism. So why enforce an idea like same sex marriage, where many disagree, instead of just following the idea of a Domestic Partnership? Why start a religious war, when it can easily be prevented?

It is true that it was recently passed for same sex couples to get married in all 50 states, but what can come from it? The idea already made impact in numerous churches, so how much longer until this country enforces someone to believe something that they don't? It is rumored that churches will now be required to give a marriage to same sex couples, even though they do not believe their ideology, ripping apart their own area of "Freedom of Religion". Freedom of Religion is the right to believe whatever you want, but who doesn't say that the government will require to fulfill someone else beliefs? Same sex marriage will make this worse, instead of benefiting the country! Because of the lack of characters for this argument, I will have to save of why Gay Marriage is not economically beneficial.

anime-arguments forfeited this round.

I apologize for last round for not posting my sources, so I will at the end of this round. Clearly my opponent dropped his or her case within the round, which should be an easy decision on who has won their debate.

Posted by michigainman56 1 year ago
I will vote on this debate can't wait to see what it will turn out like.
Posted by GHLII 1 year ago
The decision borders on unconstitutional and the dissenting justices agree.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff a round. This is bad conduct.