The Trinity Is Biblical

A couple months ago my family went over to our cousin"s house- and we had a long conversation over dinner about a new church that they"ve been going to. Their new church believes that there is no trinity- basically the teaching that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are simply different ways God manifests or reveals Himself to humanity. We got out a bible, and started looking for the biblical evidence for the trinity. It made me wonder if the trinity was even in the bible- and if it even matters to us.

Based on my research following this conversation: today I will be debating that The Trinity is NOT Imaginary.

First of All, Let's start our by looking at the Meaning of the Trinity.

Definition of Trinity: the Christian Godhead as one God in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

It is the Christian doctrine that there is only one God and not three, and that the one God exists in three persons: Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

I"ll be looking at this in three points: That the trinity is: Biblical- Relational- Mysterious

1. Biblical

John 1:1- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

This verse clearly shows the relationship between the trinity.

Ephesians 1:20- "which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places,"

This verse shows that Jesus is seated at the right hand of God, clearly giving evidence for the trinity.

Genesis 1:29- Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness

This verse clearly shows a personal plural form. He did not say let me make in my image, but he said in "OUR" Image. It's a simple grammar observation. Our is more than one.

2. Relational

Sometimes people will ask: "Why did God create the world? Was he lonely?" The doctrine of the trinity shows that God was not lonely before creation.

C. S. Lewis once said- "All sorts of people are fond of repeating the Christian statement that "God is love." But they seem not to notice that the words "God is love" have no real meaning unless God contains at least two persons. Love is something that one person has for another person. If God was a single person, then before the world was made, He was not love."

He was loving and relation before he created us in the trinity. For us- this means that we can have an relationship with God- because the trinity is relational. As we were talking about this- I started to think- does the trinity really matter? Why do I care if there"s a clear distinctions between the three persons of God? But as I looked closer into the subject- I can see that it really does matter- because it shows that we can have an relationship with God.

But if you look deeper into this subject- it even signifies that we should have relationships with others. Do you see the image of God in a man? In an woman? No- you see the image of God in man and woman together. If there was no trinity- we would have no internal love- no relationships. Paul quotes Genesis 2:24 in Ephesians 5:32- "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. This is a profound mystery"

This shows that the Image of God is displayed in more than 1 person, both male and female, which represents the trinity- three in 1.

This shows us that actual relationships are more important than everything else- relationship, fame, or entertainment. This is the significance of the trinity. That we can have a relationship with God- and know that we can have relationships with others because of the trinity.

3. Mysterious

When I was researching this and really struggling with it: I said to my dad: "This is really hard for me- because I feel like I can"t completely understand it!" My dad said: "Exactly! We can"t fully understand it!"

I believe that my cousins are trying to explain and understand the trinity.

Michael Houdman- "Rather than embrace the triune nature of God as revealed in Scripture, they create for themselves a God they can "understand" and in doing so end up with another gospel and a heretical concept of God."

However- we will never know all the specifics or workings of God.
An Anonymous quote- "The first thing the doctrine of the trinity says to us is that there are some things in life too big for us to get into our little skulls"

Paul- 1 Corinthians 13:12- "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known."

It"s like if you park you car outside- and in the morning sometimes you can"t see clearly because of the dew or fog on the windshield. We get an dim outline- but if we think too hard about it we really can"t comprehend it.

Today In this round I have shown how the trinity is: Biblical- Relational- Mysterious.

Thomas Watson- "This is a divine riddle, where one makes three, and three make one. Our narrow thoughts can no more comprehend the Trinity in Unity, than a nut-shell will hold all the water in the sea."

The trinity shows us that relationships are important- and it enables us to have relationship with others. It teaches us to be humble before God- acknowledging that we will not understand everything- because he truly is a mighty God- beyond our comprehension.

Thank you Cattycat99 for the debate challenge and good luck!

Pro defines the trinity as “Godhead as one God in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.”

The resolve reads “The Trinity is Biblical.”

Pro organizes her argument in three parts, I will address her points in the order they were presented.

Rebuttal of point 1. “Biblical”

When studying the Bible you will not find the trinity enunciated anywhere. It is not laid out in scripture. You will not find such a verse because it does not exist. Those who believe in the doctrine of the trinity often deduce such doctrine from a collocation of verses.

As such, below are verses of scripture that clearly teach that the Father and the Son are not the same person but are rather separate and distinct beings. In these examples Jesus Christ communicates with and interacts with God. This would be unnecessary if the doctrine of the trinity were true and certainly do not make sense if the doctrine were true. After each I will ask questions that illuminate how absurd the belief of the trinity would be.

Mark 10:18 (see also Mathew 19: 16-17 and Luke 18-19)

"And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God."

How can God be good excluding Jesus if they are one God in three persons?

Mathew 24:36 (see also mark 13:32)

"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone."

How can the Father know something the Son does not if they are one God?

John 17: 20-22

"20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:"

If the believers of the apostles words are to become one in the same way that God and Jesus Christ are one, does this mean that the apostles and believers are one person? Christ says “that they also may be one in us…” Does this mean that those who believe the apostles are part of the trinity?

Luke 22: 41-42

"41 And he was withdrawn from them about a stone’s cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."

If God the Father and Jesus are one God, why would Jesus have to ask anything? How can Jesus set aside his will for the Father’s if they are one God with one will?

Mathew 27:46

" And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

If they are one God, why would Jesus ask God why he has been forsaken? If God is three persons how can “God” forsake part of itself?

These verses of scripture present an issue for the doctrine of the trinity, as the doctrine of the trinity does not make sense when applied to these verses.

Rebuttal of point 2. Relational

Pro say’s “This is the significance of the trinity. That we can have a relationship with God- and know that we can have relationships with others because of the trinity.”

This is a nice sentiment, I imagine this a strong personal belief of my opponent. As such, I will just point out that relationships existence is not contingent on the existence of the trinity and in no way supports the notion of the trinity. I have a relationship with my wife, my children, my friends, even people I just met, yet this in no way implies that we are all one. Likewise, just because God had and continues to have relationships does not in any way show the trinity to be true or false. This contention is disconnected from the topic being debated.

Rebuttal of point 3. Mysterious

Pro argues that the doctrine of the Trinity is incomprehensible sourcing her father saying "Exactly! We can"t fully understand it!"

An incomprehensible God is an unknowable God.

incomprehensible: "impossible to understand or comprehend; unintelligible."(1)

"With such a confusing definition of God being imposed upon the church, little wonder that a fourth-century monk cried out, "Woe is me! They have taken my God away from me, " and I know not whom to adore or to address."(2)

The bible teaches differently…

" And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God" Romans 8:16

The message the Bible presents on this topic is simple, we the children of God strive for eternal life, which is to Know God, and Jesus Christ. To accept God as unknowable is to deny the possibility of eternal life. We are to know God as the bible teaches. I agree with pro that the trinity is incomprehensible and thus unbiblical and untrue.

Concluding Rebuttal:

The trinity is not taught in the bible and is therefore not biblical. The existence of relationships and their importance does show support for, or against, the concept of the trinity. The trinity is incomprehensible and therefore unknowable. The God of the Bible teaches that to know God is eternal life and we are invited to come to know God, therefore the God of the Bible is not part of a trinity.

Counter arguments:

1: The historicity of the trinity

The Doctrine of the trinity was not common in Christian theology until the 4th century.

"The formulation 'one God in three Persons' was not solidly established ... into Christian life ... prior to the 4th century.... Among the Apostolic Fathers, there has been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective."(3)

"Indeed no less a source than the stalwart harper"s Bible Dictionary records that "the formal doctrine of the Trinity as it was defined by the great church councils of the fourth and fifth centuries in not to be found in the New testament." (2)

To those who belive in the trinity I ask the question, If the doctrine of the trinity is biblical, why was it not commonly taught until hundreds of years after the life of Christ?

Clearly the trinity is not biblical as it is not taught within the bibles pages, nor was it taught among those who walked with Christ. The Doctrine of the Trinity did not even exist in Christian theology until centuries after Christ.

Cattycat99 forfeited this round.

Cattycat99 forfeited this round.

Posted by rayhaan779 1 year ago
It's all very implausible.
I am not a Christian myself and I respect the Christian faith however I see it to have contradictions and be a false statement. I will give you a short example of what I mean by things not making sense. For arguments sake I shall write what Christians believe God has done;
First I shall make a man and a women with original sin,
Then I shall insert myself into a women,
Only so that I may be born to die on the cross,
As a sacrifice to myself,
To allow me to forgive men and women for the sins I originally condemned them to do.
Posted by platoscaveman 1 year ago
I think this debate clearly shows the fallacy of sola scriptura. Good thing the Catholic church doesn't go for that.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Zarroette 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con's rebuttals required addressing, so arguments go to Con since they weren't addressed. Conduct goes to Con for Pro's round forfeits. It's a shame; this was shaping up to be a great debate.