Yehoshua
samsun01

The Trinity is an Unscriptural Doctrine

samsun01 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Yehoshua

Pro

The purpose of this debate is to prove with Scripture whether or not the Scriptures support belief in the Trinity Doctrine. My studies have led me to believe that the Trinity is unscriptural and even at times spurious.
samsun01

Con

I am going to show proof of the trinity in the bible

1) 2 Corinthians 13:14 :- May the grace of Lord Jesus Christ , and the love of God and the fellowship of the holy spirit be with all of you

2)Matthew 29:18:- Go you therefore , and teach all nations , baptizing them in the name of the Father , and of the Son , and of the holy Ghost .

3)"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." - 1 John 5:7

Though they are not mentioned as trinity , there are 3 people therefore we call the trinity
Yehoshua

Pro

First off, 2 Corinthians 13:14 is a statement that mentions all three of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, but it is a statement of comfort to Christians showing that Jesus gives grace or the undeserved kindness that means salvation, the Love of God the Father as the Scriptures say that God is Love (1 John 4:8) and finally the fellowship of the Holy Spirit. A Scripture that makes the statement of the validity of the Trinity Doctrine is more of the nature of Matthew 6:9. As we all know this is The Lord's Prayer, I will break it down into its parts- first Jesus addresses the Father in the heavens as to whom we pray and does not pray to either himself nor the Holy Spirit. This part of The Lord's Prayer shows that the three are distinctly three and not a fusion of the three.

Next, Matthew 29:18 does say to baptize in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, however this only shows that they are all three in agreement, but even if one is in agreement with another, they can be one as in one nation but they are still different entities.

The last one 1 John 5:7 is actually even spurious in part. Look into the Codex Alexandrinus and other manuscripts like it, and you will find that the verse 1 John 5:7 has text added to it in the English and Latin translations. The way to look into those texts is to get an SBL Greek New Testament and to make absolutely sure with Textual Criticism, Novum Testamentum Graece and the Westcott and Hort Greek Text. The original Greek of these texts show that the part of the Scripture that supposedly proves the Trinity is actually an addition to the Scriptures. This addition was made by the church in Latin manuscripts of the New Testament in order to put the people under their thumb. It shows that the Trinity doctrine is one that the church felt the need to make an addition to the Scriptures in order to support. In saying this, I know hat most Christians do not know Hebrew and Greek as I do, so I will provide corroborating evidence that can be understood by the lay people in this video where Bible scholars are saying the same except beyond all evidence they still support it even knowing this. https://www.youtube.com...
samsun01

Con

This is a argument that i found in one of the comments
In the book of Genesis after Adam & eve ate from the tree of knowledge... God said "behold man has become like one of us" (I don't have my bible with me so I can't quote exactly or scripture, my apologies) but that statement I think is the first evidence of the trinity that I know of...

Though it is not mentioned as trinity , because the are three and they are one they are called as trinity
Yehoshua

Pro

Don't worry about the whole exact Scripture thing. I know where you are referring to. However, that Scripture actually disproves the Trinity. If the three are one entity, why would they feel the need to consult the others in speech? Also, 1 John 4:9 speaks of Jesus being the only begotten Son of God. The definition of begotten is past participle of beget which is to give rise to or bring about. This means that Jesus is not equally eternal as the Father is but that God the Father produced Jesus. This is obviously before he was sent to earth as a ransom to reconcile sinful mankind to God as that Scripture also brings out.
Posted by radz 1 year ago
radz
The Trinity is biblical. It is the teaching that the one Lord of the Shema is the Messiah (compare Deut 6:4 with 1 Cor 8:6) and that the Holy Spirit is a person since he has his own 'mind' (Romans 8:27). The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one name, one power (Matthew 28:19).
Posted by samsun01 1 year ago
samsun01
Sorry bro , but pls challenge me in the same debate again
Posted by jakabus 1 year ago
jakabus

Another way to understand the trinity as one is to relate it to the human body... mind, body & soul.... or physical realm (everything that is tangible) intellectual realm (metaphysical) & spiritual realm (interaction between the physical realm and the metaphysical realm)

Length, width & height... minutes, seconds & hours... grams, kilo's & tons... space, time & volume
Posted by Kaladin25 1 year ago
Kaladin25
The Trinity is alluded to in Mt. 28:19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." and Gen. 1:26 "Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.'"

It can also be proven this way:
1. According to Deut. 6:4 ("Here, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord") there is only one God
2. According to Col. 1:2 ("Grace to you and peace from God our Father") the Father is God, according to John 1:1,14 ("In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with god, and the Word was God...and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us") Jesus is God, and according to Acts 13:2 The Holy Spirit is God.
3. Thus, there are three persons in one God.
Posted by samsun01 1 year ago
samsun01
Read the bible carefully , 1John 5:7 which says""For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." Exists
Posted by debater12332 1 year ago
debater12332
The teaching of the Trinity is not Biblical, it was made up by men.

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." - 1 John 5:7

Also Con used 1 John 5:7 which is not in the scripture. This debate is over what the scripture says, because this verse was added to a later text it is not part of the Bible and should not be used in this debate.
Posted by samsun01 1 year ago
samsun01
I'll accept the debate only if the arguments are short and precise