GOCCHURCH
Cygnus

The Truth About the Bible

Cygnus

GOCCHURCH

Pro

I am a firm bible believer. And can prove all things.
I have a open form for debating on blogtalk. If your are interested call 331-442-4622.
Willing to debate any religion any topic...
Cygnus

Con

Hello, and thank you for initiating a discussion on what is widely perceived as one of the most important topics of our day; the truth about the Bible.

As someone who stands firmly against the I happily accept your challenge to this debate. However, I would like to reserve the right to abstain from contacting the phone number that you provided, simply because I don't know who the number belongs to. Moreover, I would like the debate to remain at debate.org.

I would like to clarify my stance that while the Bible is factual and correct with respect to certain geographic locations and some historical figures, I need to stress that I do not accept it as inerrant and inspired by God. On the contrary, it is my personal understanding that the Bible is a collection of 66 writings, replete with errors and contradictions; laced with good wisdom that are universal to most of the world's great religions, but soiled by horrific nightmares and brutalities.

In the end, it is my honest opinion that if one were to approach the Bible from an unbiased perspective, that person would be horrified and dismayed by its contents and arrive at the conclusion that it is anything but true in the purest sense. Moreover, the negative sentiments that I mention would be amplified by knowing that so many around the world accept the Bible as pure and without error.

I look forward to what I'm sure will be a spirited debate.

Regards,

Cygnus
GOCCHURCH

Pro

GOCCHURCH forfeited this round.
Cygnus

Con

My opponent believes that the Bible is true and can explain all things. As such, he has made a positive claim that can be tested. So, I would like to briefly examine and test the greatest claim that the Bible makes that Christians have pinned their hopes to; the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Specifically, I will talk about the time and day in which Jesus was crucified.

Each of the gospels tell us with certainty that Jesus was crucified and resurrected. But do any of them tell us when Jesus was crucified? As it turns out, we are fortunate to have two gospels that tell us with some degree of accuracy when Jesus was crucified -- the Gospel of Mark and the Gospel of John.

Before we begin examining the evidence, it would be helpful to understand how Jews in Jesus's day tell time. According to Jewish custom and practice, a new day begins as dusk, not according to our modern time system, which places the beginning of a new day at 12:00 A.M. midnight.

The next thing we need to do is put this into context with regard to the death and resurrection. Both gospels of Mark and John tell us that Jesus was crucified around the time of the Passover celebration, which was an annual celebration that the Jews hold to commemorate their release from Egyptian captivity approximately 3,300 years ago.

Beginning in Mark 14:12, we learn that the disciples ask their master, "Where do you want us to go and make preparations so that you can eat the Passover?" Jesus tells them and they depart to prepare the Passover. They eat the Passover, and Jesus predicts that Judas Iscariot will betray him.

Jesus is later arrested, stands before Pilate, is crucified at 6:00 A.M., and is dead by 3:00 in the afternoon.

But as we look at John, the story changes significantly. The story of Jesus's betrayal by Judas Iscariot begins in John 13:18 and confirmed in verse 26. After Simon Peter asked would betray his master, Jesus answered, "'It is the one to whom I will give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish.'" Then, dipping the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot."

So far, it seems that there is no discrepancy between the John and Mark. But reading on further into John, we learn that not only was there no Passover meal consumed, it hadn't even been prepared yet by the time Jesus had been crucified. We learn that Jesus was arrested five chapters later in 18, was crucified in 19:18, and dies in verse 30.

The major discrepancy comes in verse 31 when we learn that it was the day of the preparation of the Passover. But how can that be when we learn in Mark's gospel that Jesus was alive during the day of Passover?

So, by reading the gospels Mark and John we can reach a logical conclusion. Either Mark is true or John is true, or one or the other is false, possibly even both because both can't be true.

My opponent wants us to believe that the Bible is true and can be used to explain all things. But I have demonstrated that at least one part of the Bible is false. If the Bible is inconsistent with regard to the very essence of Christianity, that being the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, how are we to believe that the Bible is true and can explain anything?

I yield the forum to my opponent for his defense.
GOCCHURCH

Pro

GOCCHURCH forfeited this round.
Cygnus

Con

I extend my previous arguments.
GOCCHURCH

Pro

GOCCHURCH forfeited this round.
Cygnus

Con

Again, I extend my previous arguments.
GOCCHURCH

Pro

GOCCHURCH forfeited this round.
Cygnus

Con

It is unfortunate that my opponent didn't or wasn't able to take part in this debate. I stand firm in my commentary and close my arguments.
Posted by Cygnus 3 years ago
Cygnus
Well?
Posted by Cygnus 3 years ago
Cygnus
You're on.
Posted by telisw37 3 years ago
telisw37
Maybe you should try me. Even with bad grammar I can win against you. The bible is about Adam=God and the family of God. And the Nation/Kingdom of God. Show me agnosticism and I will show biblical ignorance.
Posted by Cygnus 3 years ago
Cygnus
Hmmm... :/
Posted by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
LOL. I wasn't trying to contradict your quote;
I thought that was an awesome definition of the Bible!
Posted by Cygnus 3 years ago
Cygnus
Hey, if you feel I'm wrong, then challenge me on it.
Posted by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
"the Bible is a collection of 66 writings, replete with errors and contradictions; laced with good wisdom that are universal to most of the world's great religions, but soiled by horrific nightmares and brutalities"

I'm going to have to write that one down XD
Vote Placed by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
GOCCHURCHCygnusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited on almost every round this debate. Plus, Cygnus's definition of the Bible in round 1 was hilariously true.
Vote Placed by The_Tom 3 years ago
The_Tom
GOCCHURCHCygnusTied
Reasons for voting decision: It seems to me that pro was more intested in advertising his website than debating.