surpy
Mr.Sexy

The U.S. Federal Government should increase its exploration and/or development of space

surpy

Con

First of all I would thank my opponent who accepts this challenge for their time and knowledge.

I would like to add that by space I mean outer space, beyond the Earth's mesosphere.

Position descriptions

Pro: has to say why the U.S. federal government should increase its exploration and/or development of space.

Con: has to say why the U.S. federal government shouldn't increase its exploration and/or development of space.

I will leave the first round for my opponent to ask any questions and/or to say any comments or concerns to the topic.

Thank you and good luck.
Mr.Sexy

Pro

Why wouldn't we want to increase our knowledge of space? It's not like we don't have the capacity to do so. What are the dangers?
surpy

Con

I thank my opponent for accepting to this debate, now lets get this party started then.

I propose that the exploration and/or development of space should be the last thing taken care of from the U.S. federal government. Why must the U.S. federal government worry about space when there are many problems on the planet we all live on right now.

Now for the definitions.
1. Exploration: "the investigation of unknown regions."[1]
2. Development: "the act or process of developing; growth; progress"[1]

Now for my case, which consists of 3 main points.
1. There are too many problems with planet Earth.
2. It is far too expensive.
3. It is far too dangerous.

1. There are too many problems on planet Earth.

Earth, it holds about 7 billion strange beings who walk on two legs, called human. There are too many problems on the planet Earth, let alone America, to even consider going out into space.

Sub point A, There is no world peace.
There needs to be a world peace before America go out into space, the risk for space war fair would be too high if the world isn't at an agreement on peace. The world would have to come together and create a world peace before the world let alone America goes out and does space missions. For example, al Qaeda, now that Osama bin laden died "Lone individuals are the most likely to launch attacks in the United States following the death of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, according to a joint Department of Homeland Security/FBI bulletin sent to state and local law enforcement."[2].

2. It is far too expensive.

America's economy is going in a downward spiral into the extreme pit of debt. Something like putting a person in space would take a lot of money to do. Everything about sending things into space would require money that America doesn't have. "Q. How much does it cost to launch a Space Shuttle?
A. The average cost to launch a Space Shuttle is about $450 million per mission."[3]. How can America spend money if there is no extra money? If America got $450 million dollars, America should use it for more important issues like education or public health.

3. It is far too dangerous.

Taking a look back to history, when the explorers came to the Americas, they have been introduced to new things that they weren't ready for such as disease, and new hard ships.

Sub point A, foreign disease possibility.
In the T.V. movie "The Adromina strain" an asteroid hits the earth and it contains a new disease called the Adromina strain where it would infect the human race and leave the population dwindling, luckily Hollywood added the happy ending of the human race finding the cure and then saves their race, but reality isn't Hollywood. Exploring new and foreign planets could contain a new disease that could wipe out the human population. The discovery of ice on the poles of Mars could hold new bacteria or viruses that could be taken back to Earth and, because humans haven't been introduced to this new disease, it could cause deaths on the global level.

Sub point B, accidents, radiation, and harsh condition, oh my!
Accidents can happen any where you might say, but if someone broke something in space, or someone was hurt and needed to be rushed to the hospital, how can they get this person to the hospital if there isn't hospital's in space, which could lead to more deaths. The sun emits high amounts of radiation, with out the protective gear, the radiation would give people cancer, or other medical problems. Trying to colonize on a new planet could be very hard, going back to my example of the explorers going to the Americas, when they got to the Americas they had to live in harsh environments, but unlike the uncolonized Americas, other planets, like Mars, would be a challenge to colonize. All of these problems could lead to an unwanted death rate that would cause problems.

So, because there are problems on Earth, it is far too expensive, and it is far too dangerous, the U.S. federal government shouldn't increase is exploration and/or development of space. I ask you to vote for Con.

[1] = dictionary.com
[2] = http://www.cnn.com...
[3] = http://www.nasa.gov...
Mr.Sexy

Pro

Mr.Sexy forfeited this round.
surpy

Con

My opponent's account has been closed, so therefore this debate can no longer go on, but I have started a new debate with the same topic and with a person who's account isn't closed, so you can still enjoy that one!
Mr.Sexy

Pro

Mr.Sexy forfeited this round.
surpy

Con

so what do you guys think so far? not much. I am debating the same topic, with a live person! be sure to drop by and check it out!
Mr.Sexy

Pro

Mr.Sexy forfeited this round.
surpy

Con

I wish that my opponent was here, but oh well. I win, yay!
Mr.Sexy

Pro

Mr.Sexy forfeited this round.
Posted by surpy 6 years ago
surpy
I realized that my opponent Mr.Sexy's account has been closed, so now this debate is, well, GGed, I will repost this same topic and hopefully get a debater.
Posted by KeytarHero 6 years ago
KeytarHero
I definitely believe the US government should continue its exploration of space. Unfortunately, I found this debate topic too late. But good luck to both participants.
Posted by surpy 6 years ago
surpy
yes it is next years policy topic, now I am not that good with policy, but I am going to learn how to be really good at it, so it is kinda like a practice to me.
Posted by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
So can I run a plan?
Posted by tiscooler 6 years ago
tiscooler
I smell a CX debater here. . . The resolution's directly from next year's topic.