The U.S. Penny Should Be Abolished

Started: 10/27/2014 Category: Economics

This debate will follow this pattern:
Round 1: Opening Statements Only (No Arguments)
Round 2: Opening Arguments Only (No Rebuttals)
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Closing Arguments (No Rebuttals)
Round 5: Rebuttals and Closing Statements

I am for abolishing the U.S. penny. I believe it will do the U.S. good.

I highly disagree here I can get rid of old Abe I just can't no I wait for the arguments

I would love to pour out all the reasons why pennies should be abolished, but I need to save some of them for my closing arguments.

First, it's not worth your time for pennies. Literally, if you pick up a penny off the street, you could have made more money in that exact frame of time. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median hourly wage for all occupations is $16.87 per hour. Do the math, and that means a tiny bit more than a cent is earned every 3 seconds, and 5 cents every 11 seconds. This clearly shows how little the value of the penny is.

Ignoring that, the U.S. could save money by getting rid of the pennies. According to the U.S. Mint, it costs more than 2 cents to create one penny. This means that the U.S. is losing tons of money by creating pennies.

Also, a single penny can't buy you products anymore. The only machine at all that accepts pennies is...

...Coinstar. Coinstar is basically like an ATM, but only for coins.

I have at least two more legs my opinions stand on, but I'll save the best for last.

You make a good point but why should it be abolished Abe must stay here are some reason's first it would be disrespectful to deface a Hero of this proud country its like getting rid of the flag....

The penny might be the lowest form of currency you can have but its still currency getting rid of currency might not go so well what if you need exact change but that's not the point defacing a President is down right disrespect and a great one at that a true American hero but when it comes to the digital age where there are just credit cards and debit cards and bit coins I don't mean today I mean in 50 years where there is only digital things I still want to dig into my pocket and find a nice shinny Abe and remember how far we have come.

Oh, so you say getting rid of currency won't go so well? I was going to use this as one of my concluding arguments but I'll use it now.

The U.S. has already gotten rid of old currency. A long time ago, there was a coin called the half-cent, worth half a penny. The U.S. got rid of it because it was worth too little. The crazy part is that the half-cent was worth more then than the dime is now. In fact, other countries like Australia, Sweden, New Zealand, and Canada have already gotten rid of their one-cent pieces. They automatically round up to the nearest five cents (except for New Zealand, which rounds up to the nearest ten cents). These countries have not reported any problems with the money change.

Not only that, but the U.S. Military has already gotten rid of the penny in some offshore bases, and they are doing just fine.

Con says it is disrespectful to "deface" the face of a president.

deface (verb): to ruin the surface of (something) especially with writing or pictures

That was taken from Webster's online dictionary. Clearly, getting rid of the penny will not "deface" Abraham Lincoln. Besides, he and his monument are still on the 5-dollar bill.

Con says that when money goes completely digital, he wants to see a penny and remember how far we've come. If that ever does happen, the U.S. will undoubtedly save the coins we are using now for us to look at in, say, the Smithsonian.

Also, getting rid of a coin is not the same as getting rid of the American flag.

That's all for now.

It's seems I have been routed by highly experienced debater your point was just as your cause to get rid of the copper Abe I rest my case and step down tooshay/touche my friend but if you want me to debate I will finish my statements but only at your respectable request

That's too bad that you stepped down. It's okay if you don't want to participate, but I would have liked to at least hear your arguments.

Oh, well. I guess I don't have much to do here anymore.

Steak and Shake fries with nacho cheese are awesome

I can't even really remember the last time I was at a Steak and Shake.

Everything Bob Evans makes is awesome. You should seriously try their pot roast.

Thanks for your suggestion I will be sure to try the pot roast next time
Posted by DudeHouse 1 year ago
Would have liked to see a real debate but ah well
Posted by Surrealism 1 year ago
Lincoln is still on the five dollar bill. Also, I don't think he would support the use of a coin that's worth 35 times less than it was when he was president.
Posted by FantumHeist 1 year ago
when I said I can I meant I can't sorry just a small typo