Conspiracyrisk
Miss_Persistent

The U.S. Penny Should Be Abolished

Conspiracyrisk
Started: 2/20/2015 Category: Economics

Conspiracyrisk

Pro

This debate is a redo of one of my previous debates. If you wish, you may view that one first to get the gist of my opinion. However, I am adding the rule that you may not quote anything I said in that debate for the duration of this one.

This debate will follow this pattern:
Round 1: Opening Statements Only (No Arguments)
Round 2: Opening Arguments Only (No Rebuttals)
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Closing Arguments (No Rebuttals)
Round 5: Rebuttals and Closing Statements

I am for abolishing the U.S. penny. I believe it will do the U.S. good
Miss_Persistent

Con

You should not eliminate the U.S. penny! First of all If we eliminate the U.S. penny, everything will have to be rounded to the nickel. Merchants will probably round everything up in their favor! Costing us more for everything we buy. Last Charities need pennies, alot can add up from pennies and that helps people because most likely people going to give away their pennies because it's 'cost less' to them.
Conspiracyrisk

Pro

Although Con did defy my rules, Con messaged me in a friend request his/her apologies. Voters, please do not take off points as long as Con does not do it again. Con, if you would, please repost your arguments when it is your turn. I don't care if you copy and paste what you had written, as long as you stay with the format.

Anyway, onto my arguments. I have two main arguments for my case, both of which are comprised of smaller points. My first main argument is that U.S. pennies are just a drag on not only the economy, but all of us in general.

My first proof is that pennies just aren't worth the time to earn them. The average hourly wage for workers was $22.33 in 2013 (Source: http://www.bls.gov...). That means more than a cent every two seconds, and five cents every ten seconds. Even if you use the median wage, the calculations are still very close. It takes such a little time to earn pennies that it wouldn't affect finances if it was removed.

As further proof that pennies aren't worth the time, look to the grocery store. In the U.S., unlike other countries, the tax isn't included on the price tag. The vast majority of people just can't do the math in their head without a calculator, and most just wait until the checkout to find the true price. This means it takes time to count out the pennies, wasting time. It may not seem very important, but it could make a huge difference if pennies were removed.

As a matter of fact, there's relatively little that pennies are used for now. No modern vending machine accepts pennies. The only one that does is Coinstar, which is a machine that takes your coins and gives you them back, with a slight amount taken away. Essentially, it is an ATM for solely coins.

Lastly, it would benefit the U.S. economy to get rid of pennies. Pennies cost more to make than their face value (no pun intended) (Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com...). There is potential of saving money by getting rid of the penny.

Con, if you would, please re-post your arguments. I will even allow you to add new ones as long as they are not rebuttals.
Miss_Persistent

Con

Actually pennies aren't unless as you think and if you get rid of it the poor pay the most - the poor will be affected the most, because they are most likely to make more frequent, smaller purchases, thus suffering the rounding up more often. And Nickels cost even more to make, If we eliminate the penny, we will need more nickels. Nickels cost 7.7 cents to make, making each nickel costs 1.44 cents more than making each penny. Since the penny costs 0.26 more than face value to make, the Mint can make 5 pennies and still lose less money than making 1 nickel. And, of course, if we eliminate the penny, we'll need a lot more nickels, which will offset the savings of stopping penny manufacture.
Conspiracyrisk

Pro

Con, you did it again. You broke the format the first time, but I was willing to let that go because you messaged me an apology. But now, you did it again. I asked you to simply re-post your arguments, even letting you add new ones as long as they weren't rebuttals. But the only thing you posted was your rebuttals of my argument, which you shouldn't have added until round three. I was willing to let you off the hook the first time, but not this time. You have taken it too far.

Con has broken the rules twice. Voters, vote pro for everything, except for the first two if you don't want to.

Con, I am angry with you, but if you want, we can continue the debate, under the circumstances that you will still lose for breaking the rules.
Miss_Persistent

Con

Miss_Persistent forfeited this round.
Conspiracyrisk

Pro

I have nothing to say.
Miss_Persistent

Con

me either
Conspiracyrisk

Pro

Conspiracyrisk forfeited this round.
Miss_Persistent

Con

Miss_Persistent forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Jupiter1 1 year ago
Jupiter1
ConspiracyriskMiss_PersistentTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con failed to follow the criterion given by Pro. Twice. Also, no opening arguments from Con.