Courtnic2
Robert_Weiler

The U.S. Should Retain its Nuclear Capability

Courtnic2

Pro

This is a very complex and multi-faceted issue. If you have another opinion on this, jump in.

I believe the U.S. should retain its nuclear capability because it creates a stalemate with other countries where open war might otherwise have ensued, it poses a direct threat to the homelands of terrorists who may not care about their own lives, and there is no safe way to effectively disarm the United States of nuclear weapons.
Robert_Weiler

Con

Having nuclear weapons does not "force a stalemate", rather, it is a strategy known as MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction). Nuclear disarmament is safely possible, we do it often with old warheads and waste from other nuclear facilities.
Courtnic2

Pro

You"re exactly right. The threat of mutual destruction is what I"m talking about. Because we have nuclear weapons, other nations must think twice before using theirs. It creates a stalemate. Also, nuclear disarmament on a small scale is certainly possible, but I was talking about complete disarmament.

Contention: Nuclear weapons are useful in that they create a stalemate with other countries where open war could have ensued.

We see this in one of only two major nuclear events to date: the Cold War. Named so because neither side directly fought the other, the Cold War was, "a clash of very different beliefs and ideology " capitalism versus communism." (1) The main nuclear conflict was during the Cuban Missile Crises in 1962, a skirmish stemming from the Cold War. Both the United States and Russia threatened each other with nuclear missiles stationed strategically in Turkey and Cuba respectively. The United States warned Russia that if they did not withdraw their missiles from Cuba within 24 hours, the U.S. would launch an invasion to forcibly remove the weapons. The Russians eventually did take back their missiles on the condition that the U.S. also remove their missiles from Turkey. Thankfully, the crisis ended here, but had the United States not possessed nuclear weapons, the Cold War might have turned into a very hot one. Former Army Colonel Eric Winkie sums this up well by describing our nation"s nuclear weaponry as indispensable saying that, "[They] have a deterrent effect. By having nuclear weapons, other nations are afraid to use theirs." (2) This, to me, is the key.

Closing Statement:
We use nuclear weapons every day. They provide a blanket of defense that nothing else does. Nuclear weapons are a great responsibility and they should never be taken lightly, but without them, what"s to stop another country with nuclear weapons from taking advantage of our country?

In the following rounds, I will support my other two contentions listed in the introduction of round one.

Let us have a good debate!

(1) http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...
(2) Interview
Robert_Weiler

Con

Robert_Weiler forfeited this round.
Courtnic2

Pro

Courtnic2 forfeited this round.
Robert_Weiler

Con

Robert_Weiler forfeited this round.
Courtnic2

Pro

Courtnic2 forfeited this round.
Robert_Weiler

Con

Robert_Weiler forfeited this round.
Courtnic2

Pro

Courtnic2 forfeited this round.
Robert_Weiler

Con

Robert_Weiler forfeited this round.
Posted by Courtnic2 2 years ago
Courtnic2
If you want to I'd be open to doing that. Your choice.
Posted by Mathgeekjoe 2 years ago
Mathgeekjoe
I could play devil's advocate here. I personally think that even if we could safely abolish nuclear weapons from the world, we shouldn't. But I could possibly come up with a convincing argument to get rid of nuclear weapons in the US.