wjmelements
Diptesh

The U.S. government should ban the manufacturing and selling of tobacco.

wjmelements

wjmelements

Con

Hello friend.

Tobacco should not be banned because:

1. It would lead to riots.
2. Tobacco creates jobs.
3. Tobacco would still be bought and sold illegally, as we see with all other illegal drugs.
4. It is unconstitutional for the federal government to ban tobacco.

1.
Tobacco is addictive.
"Yes. Most smokers use tobacco regularly because they are addicted to nicotine. Addiction is characterized by compulsive drug seeking and use, even in the face of negative health consequences. It is well documented that most smokers identify tobacco use as harmful and express a desire to reduce or stop using it, and nearly 35 million of them want to quit each year." http://www.nida.nih.gov...
People consiously choose to take the drug and it makes them happy. http://media.www.thetraveleronline.com...

The population would not allow the government to ban food. To smokers, tobacco is almost as important as food. To have the entire population experience withdrawl symptoms at the same time would set up catastrophe.

2.
The tobacco industry does create jobs and generate wealth. To destroy it would further hinder our economy.

3.
Banning marijuana did not stop its production and dealing. Such a government ban would be next to unenforcable.

4.
Constitutional arguments against the ban:
http://media.www.redandblack.com...
"Essentially, those who support the smoking ban as a measure to protect public health tacitly support a form of totalitarianism where the will of the majority is expressed through the government and the rights of the minority are not protected."

http://www.associatedcontent.com...
"According to the judge, this is a violation of bar owners due-process since it prevents them a chance to establish their bar as a cigar bar."

There are many more.
Tobacco manufacturing is not interstate commerce; therefore, the federal government cannot regualate it. A state may or may not be able to, but a federal ban is unconstitutional.

I hope my opponent accepts this debate.
Diptesh

Pro

My opponent tried his best to proove that hell is likely to be a heaven.
First of all my opponent didn't started it in a ld style so first of all i would like to give definations of the terms used in this Debate.
1: Tobacco:-Tobacco is made from the dried leaves of the tobacco plant. After the leaves are dried they are treated with around 4000 different chemicals before being made into cigarettes. Many of these chemicals are known carcinogens (cancer causing), and tobacco smoke itself is carcinogenic.
2:Marijuana:-Marijuana (grass, pot, weed) is the common name for a crude drug made from the plant Cannabis sativa. The main mind-altering (psychoactive) ingredient in marijuana is THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), but more than 400 other chemicals also are in the plant. A marijuana "joint" (cigarette) is made from the dried particles of the plant.
3:- Carcinogen:-A carcinogen is a substance that is capable of causing cancer in humans or animals. If a substance is known to promote or aggravate cancer.
4:-Nicotine:-Nicotine is defined as a poisonous, oily, pale yellow substance that turns brown upon exposure to air. In concentrated form, nicotine is used as a potent insecticide.

The amount of nicotine which occurs in tobacco leaves ranges from 2% to 7%.

Nicotine mimics the affects of acetylcholine (nerve signal transmitter) and it acts primarily on the autonomic nervous system. As such, it can be dangerous. Nicotine can cause respiratory failure and paralysis at doses of less than 50 mg, Smaller.
Source:-www.wisegeek.com and askjeaves.com
Now i would like to state my friend's word i.e.
1. It would lead to riots.
2. Tobacco creates jobs.
First of all i would like to ask my opponent and you all readers that is only tobbaco creates job, I know yours answer, its no!.
So coming to next point i.e. it would lead to riots...
its simply a pillar without any base,
Because according to a survey presented by National Geographic Team In U.S.A. less than 5% are only like tobacco where as others like to have beverages and other drugs so its not going to lead any riots.
Now lets have some facts of tobbaco:-
=>In a survey presented by drugwarfacts.org it was there that "The leading causes of death in 2000 were tobacco (435,000 deaths; 18.1% of total US deaths),
=>Every eight seconds someone in the world dies from a tobacco related illness/disease.
Smoking is the #1 preventable cause of premature death in the United States.
=.On average, smokers die nearly seven years earlier than nonsmokers. Smoking is responsible for one out of five American deaths.
=>In the U.S., smoking kills more people than cocaine, heoine, alcohol, fire automobile accidents, homicideds, suicides,and AIDS combined.
=>Reports of the Surgeon General conclude that smoking cigarettes causes heart disease, lung and esophageal cancer, and chronic lung disease. Cigarette smoking contributes to cancer of the bladder, pancreas, and kidney. =>Consequences of using smokeless tobacco include cancer of the gum, mouth, pharynx, larynx, and esophagus.
=>Men who smoke increase their risk of death from lung cancer by more than 22 times and from bronchitis and emphysema by nearly 10 times. Women who smoke increase their risk of dying from lung cancer by nearly 12 times and the risk of dying from bronchitis and emphysema by more than 10 times. Smoking tiples the risk of dying from heart disease among middle-aged men and women.
=>About 10 million people in the United States have died from causes attributed to smoking (including heart disease, emphysema, and other respiratory disease) since the first Surgeon General's report on smoking and health in 1964--2 million of these deaths were the result of lung cancer alone.
=>90% of adult smokers are addicted to tobacco before they reach the age of 18; 50% before the age of 14; currently the average age of initiation to tobacco is age 11.
=.48 million adults smoke in the U.S. (22.9% of the population, overall) 33%of youth currently smoke.
=.According to the CDC survey, there are 1,136,900 smokers in New Jersey (19.5% of the state population). 38% of youths in grades 9-12 smoke in New Jersey.
Source:-www.costkids.org
It made you blink your eyes i thinks So i want to vote For the statement So as to save many lives may be some of your owns.
Other things i'll present in my next round.
Thank you..For reading.
wjmelements

Con

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

"So as to save many lives may be some of your owns."
Many of my own have died of smoking, but the argument that people can die is irrelevant, as I will show.

"2:Marijuana:-Marijuana (grass, pot, weed) is the common name for a crude drug made from the plant Cannabis sativa. The main mind-altering (psychoactive) ingredient in marijuana is THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), but more than 400 other chemicals also are in the plant. A marijuana "joint" (cigarette) is made from the dried particles of the plant."
This is irrelevant. This debate concerns tobacco, not marijuana.

My opponent has conceded an important point:
I will discuss the importance of this later.

PRO's arguments are a set of statistics. It it important to know that I am aware of the dangers of tobacco, as I have conceded: "Tobacco is addictive." I am no fool, and I certainly am not "trying my best best to proove that hell is likely to be a heaven."

My oponent's case against my first point can be simplified as stating that banning tobacco will not make people mad because there are plenty of other drugs out there that are more dangerous that they can use after we ban tobacco.
Says PRO:
"less than 5% are only like tobacco where as others like to have beverages and other drugs so its not going to lead any riots."
So basically, my opponent argues that banning tobacco will cause people to use more deadly drugs, such as marijuana and alcohol. Going from nicotine to weed is a deadly transition. http://www.physorg.com... http://www.cababstractsplus.org... He is arguing my case. In doing this, he also conceded my third point.

My opponent makes a silly case, saying: "you all readers that is only tobbaco creates job".
Well, of course tobacco is not the only thing that creates jobs; such a monoculture is theoretically insustainable. However, it does create jobs and produce wealth.

So let's see: my opponent has completely conceded points 3 and 4, which are:

3.
My opponent concedes that people will continue to buy and sell tobacco illegally. Tobacco bans, like marijuana bans, are hardly enforcable. Therefore, they are ineffective.

4.
My opponent has conceded and agreed with this point.
Constitutions are established among people to guarantee that governments will not outstep their lines and become tyrannies. http://www.sobran.com... Companies are owned by people; they are property. Companies produce wealth by encourageing commerce. Commerce improves society. http://www.scotthyoung.com...
When a government outsteps the bounds that it agreed on during its founding, then the social contract has been violated. Such tyrannies have lead to other rebellions throughout history, including the American Revolution, the French Revolution, and the Russian Revolution. http://www.newzimbabwe.com... http://www.geocities.com... http://home.hiwaay.net...
By conceding my fourth point, my opponent has indirectly conceded my first point, "1. It would lead to riots.", because tyrannies are crushed by riots. riots are most likely to involve the majority of the population only when government steps out of its way.

My opponent has conceded three of my four points.
Vote CON.
Diptesh

Pro

Diptesh forfeited this round.
wjmelements

Con

Unfortunately, my opponent was unable to post an argument last round. I believe he is sick and wish him a quick recovery.
Diptesh

Pro

well refer to above points and vote as my opponent didn't passed any arguement so i would not like to take any grant of that
So just think
I S T O B A C C O good for our society dosen't matter it gives job but takes away our L I V E S.
Just think and vote........
Hope you'll do a right decison.........
Posted by Diptesh 8 years ago
Diptesh
can you pls tell me that what points did I conceded of yours.
Posted by crackofdawn_Jr 8 years ago
crackofdawn_Jr
Not interested, sorry.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
If you aren't interested, I'm gonna open this to the whole population.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
Many of my family members have been killed by tobacco. My personal experiences lead me to be PRO... but I'm not.

You can do an ethical argument...
Posted by crackofdawn_Jr 8 years ago
crackofdawn_Jr
My position on this subject is more personal and about ethics than about actual facts and figures.
Vote Placed by Tatarize 8 years ago
Tatarize
wjmelementsDipteshTied
Vote Placed by Colucci 8 years ago
Colucci
wjmelementsDipteshTied
Vote Placed by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
wjmelementsDipteshTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
wjmelementsDipteshTied