Zach1357911
frozen_eclipse

The U.S. public should not be able to obtain firearms

frozen_eclipse

Zach1357911

Pro

Citizens of the U.S. can now relatively easily obtain firearms for whatever purpose they wish. Whether for hunting, self protection, sport or whatever reason I think we can all give up our guns to get rid of the negative affects that guns have on our society.
1. If the public did not have firearms then pepper spray or a close quarters weapon would do fine as self protection.
2. If the public did not have firearms, public shootings that kill innocent people and greatly affect many others would not be possible.
3. Many countries such as South Korea already do not allow their public to have firearms. Therefor the public relies on close quarter weapons and martial arts to protect themselves.
4. Gang wars would not be nearly as life costly.
5. If the public did not have firearms the assassination of the President would be impossible.
frozen_eclipse

Con

Since pro suggested no structure I will do so.

round 1- acceptance
round 2-4 - positions/ rebuttals

1. public -of, pertaining to, or affecting a population or a community as a whole.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

Zach1357911

Pro

by public i mean citizens of the U.S. excluding law enforcement and military.
frozen_eclipse

Con

As citizens of the United States we are guaranteed the right to carry firearms from the second amendment. I don't think this right will ever be changed. However I recognize that this is a should debate so I will debate the resolution.

I predict My opponent will make many flawed statements throughout this debate. Those statements I will underline and refute.

Ccitizens of the U.S. can now relatively easily obtain firearms for whatever purpose they wish.

This is not true. To legally obtain a firearm one must register there weapon and posses a licence to carry weapons. So as we see not all Americans can easily obtain firearms as pro suggests.

I think we can all give up our guns to get rid of the negative affects that guns have on our society.

I ask my opponent to please list the negative effects that guns have on our society. I also ask him to think if these problems with society would still exist even without the guns.

If police men used only pepper spray or close quarter weapons then they would not be much effective and would die more frequently. These type of weapons are not going to stop terrorists nor are they going to equip law enforcement with the weapons needed to take down someone sniping citizens. These weapons also may not protect a person if they are getting robbed. Lastly we want to reduce our risk of harm as much as possible. Far ranged weapons reduce our risk of harm because we are not close enough to have a physical confrontation. If citizens were only equipped with pepper spray and knives there risk of harm would increase and people would not be so willing to defend themselves because of the increased risk of harm.

My first response to this is of course we we did not have guns we couldn't shoot people. But does the removal of guns remove the possibility of innocent people being killed? No even if citizens could not legally posses guns there would still be those who purchase illegal guns. The citizens would have no way to protect themselves against these people. Also guns don't kill people people kill people. that means there are more ways to kill people than with just guns. If someone wants to kill people they don't need a gun.

SO my point here is that even if we ban guns that action is not going to stop a killer from killing people because guns are not the only weapon capable of killing people.

3. Many countries such as South Korea already do not allow their public to have firearms. Therefore the public relies on close quarter weapons and martial arts to protect themselves.

Let's not forget that there is a black market here. Lets not also forget that the police are equipped with guns. In most situations martial arts does not protect a person from a robber with a gun.

4. Gang wars would not be nearly as life costly

Gangs are most of the time going to use weapons. be it close range weapons to beat their victims or guns. Lets realize that most gang members get their guns illegally so they can't be traced. So what is a gun ban going to do? Nothing but increase the amount of guns purchased illegally and increase the amount of money in the sellers pocket.

This is one of the most flawed statements made by pro so far. If I can prove that assassination of a president is possible without a gun this point fails miserably. A assassin can simply use a bow and arrow, a Molotov cocktail,a bomb etc... this point fails.

I understand that pros intentions are good but changing our second amendment rights and banning guns are not going to stop people from killing others at all. A gun ban is not going to make our communities safer. At most this will give robbers more of a motive to steal since they may not have to deal with a treat of a gun. Banning guns is not a logical way to stop crime. The defense rests.

Zach1357911

Pro

I wasn't exactly completely Pro going into this debate and after reading that, i have changed my mind. You won
frozen_eclipse

Con

Well, my opponent has conceded. Therefore a con vote is logical and justified. The defense rests his case.
Zach1357911

Pro

I stated my argument wrong. This was my first debate and i was really new to it all.
frozen_eclipse

Con

Vote for me.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 4 years ago
wrichcirw
Zach1357911frozen_eclipseTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit by PRO, 1 point to PRO, welcome to the site.
Vote Placed by Wishing4Winter 4 years ago
Wishing4Winter
Zach1357911frozen_eclipseTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did a wonderful job considering he swayed Pro's personal view