the_unknown_debator
TruthHurts

The U.S. should have a National Sales Tax System

the_unknown_debator
Started: 5/31/2014 Category: Economics

the_unknown_debator

Pro

The first round will just be for acceptance.
I will be debating in support for a National Sales Tax system. My opponent will argue against this and give their reasons.
I hope someone is willing to take on my challenge.
TruthHurts

Con

Hello, happy to be debating this interesting topic, and hope for a lively, informative debate.

To clarify, I will be arguing against a National Sales Tax, understood as a flat (23%) sales tax on goods and services which will replace the personal income, payroll, and capital gains taxes.

Good luck, and I look forward to reading your arguments.
the_unknown_debator

Pro

Thank you for accepting my debate, now let me begin.

A National Sales Tax system, or Fairtax as it is sometimes referred to, is a system that will completely change the our tax system we have in the U.S. The Fairtax system would involve repealing all current taxes that we have such as the income tax, capital gains tax, payroll tax, and estate tax. All of these would then be replaced by this National Retail Sales Tax. In this system, almost everything you purchase will be taxed. All goods, items, and anything you buy on a regular basis will have a significantly higher sales tax(Like you said, probably something around 23%).

I believe this system would be very good for the United States to have. With this system, everyone is now only taxed on what you buy instead of what you make like in the income tax system. This way, rich people will still pay more as they buy more quantities of things and more expensive things on an idea that someone should pay more because they purchase more rather than just the fact that they make more. Savings and education will not be taxed which will make it easier for people to invest in their child's education as well as their retirement and other investments.

I have stated my argument and am interested to see what you have to say.
TruthHurts

Con

TruthHurts forfeited this round.
the_unknown_debator

Pro

My opponent has forfeited so I have nothing else to say as I have nothing to argue against.
TruthHurts

Con

I apologize; I lost track of my debates and what response time I had left and inadvertently forfeited the last round. I feel that it would be incredibly unfair to put forth a first constructive speech in the latter half of round 3, with only one round for Pro to respond, so I will, sadly, forfeit this debate. I do, sincerely, apologize for this neglect, as I, too, had looked forward to an interesting debate. Thank you for an interesting topic, and I am sorry that I could not give the lively opposition you deserved.
the_unknown_debator

Pro

Thank you for the apology. I hope that one day we can have a lively debate and have an interesting discussion. I assume you will forfeit the next round and then I will create a short response afterwards so that we can rap up this debate. I hope to see you soon!
TruthHurts

Con

Round forfeited, as stated earlier. Vote Pro!
Posted by Careless_thoughts 2 years ago
Careless_thoughts
By default, I'm leery of any situation that has the federal government 'repealing' taxes in favor of other taxes. For the moment, ignoring the impact on state revenues, would this in effect repeal taxes on corporations as well as tariffs? In theory, your cost of goods sold would sky rocket, imposing a larger than 23% tax on the end purchaser. I would assume that you are also including services in the pool of taxable items, correct?
Posted by the_unknown_debator 2 years ago
the_unknown_debator
I was hoping to get a very good debate, but so far, all it has been is one of those debates where your opponent waits out the timer and automatically forfeits.
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
the_unknown_debatorTruthHurtsTied
Vote Placed by Contra 2 years ago
Contra
the_unknown_debatorTruthHurtsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited the debate.