John95
Neutronmystique

The US Government Is Corrupt

John95

Pro

Rules:
1. First round is acceptance and opening arguments
2. Second and fourth rounds are expansions of arguments.
3. Third round is second argument.
4. Fifth round is concluding statements.
5. No profanity
6. No rudeness
7. Three days to post
8. No new arguments after 3rd round
9. Stay on topic, i.e. no "rabbit trail," "wild goose chase," etc.
10. Good luck!
I will open.
The US government is corrupt.
Neutronmystique

Con

Compared to Other Countries, the USA is NOT Corrupt. The United States of America looks like a "walk-in-the-park" compared to REAL corrupt countries, such as Venezuela or North Korea, or even India. The government in Venezuela has admitted to done looting more than once in more than one store and causing the "Caracazo of 1989", which caused more than thousands of deaths and treachery all over the country. The US government allows proper public schools with decent education. In Venezuela, the government commands the educational system what to teach their kids, which most of the information is wrong. Taxes in the USA cannot even be COMPARED to those in Venezuela, since taxes in Venezuela are beyond what one could imagine. Petroleum in the USA costs a lot, I admit it, but the money goes to good causes such as repairing damaged streets or the health service. In Venezuela, gas costs ONLY 2 Bolivares Fuertes. Gas is cheaper than WATER, for God's sake. And you want to know how long they took to fix a damaged pavement street? Two years. I just wanted to let you all know. And DON'T get me started with North Korea!
John95

Pro

Hello, everyone. I apologize for my tardiness.
First, a little background:
During the American Civil War (1861-1865), our 16th President, Abraham Lincoln, took actions that were good for the time, but have been taken for granted far too long. The first was the nationalization of American currency (he made the dollar bill our unit); the second, suspending the writ of habeas corpus (long story short, this is Latin for "bring the body") during the Civil War. While the second action has now been revoked, due to the end of the American Civil War, the first is still in effect. Presidents after Lincoln either did very little, made it worse, or were completely clueless. Woodrow Wilson, without knowing it, set us on the course where a president must state his recommendations in public, to Congress. This is another action that increased the "slide" of "corruption." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, by his actions during the Great Depression, also took us down the "slippery slope." Richard Nixon, by far the first and only United States President to worsen the corruption outright since Abraham Lincoln started it, took us off the gold standard, thus rendering our currency as fiat (that is, backed by nothing). By that same action, Nixon also allowed us to print as much money as we wanted, thus increasing inflation of our currency. Successive presidents have only "stayed the course," or have increased the amount of unnecessary corruption. Obama is just another chain.
Now, to Con's arguments:
1. We are not comparing the United States government to other governments. We are only comparing the present government with the United States governments that have had power in the past, i.e. Barack Hussein Obama III's administration vs George Washington's administration.
2. Yes, I am aware of North Korea; however, I could care less, for they have nothing to do with me. Kim Jong Un's problems are not mine to deal with or try to comment on.
3. If others want to try to help Venezuela, let them. I am not one of those people.
4. "Walk-in-the-park?" Please.
5. We are not debating how corrupt the United States government is; we are debating whether or not the United States government is corrupt.
I await a response.
Neutronmystique

Con

Neutronmystique forfeited this round.
John95

Pro

John95 forfeited this round.
Neutronmystique

Con

Neutronmystique forfeited this round.
John95

Pro

John95 forfeited this round.
Neutronmystique

Con

Neutronmystique forfeited this round.
John95

Pro

I have not much to refute. Thank you, my fellow voters and debaters, though, for bearing with me.
Neutronmystique

Con

Neutronmystique forfeited this round.
Posted by John95 2 years ago
John95
@barnesec
Yes, good point. Corruption itself is an absolute yes/no; however, HOW MUCH is not a absolute yes/no.
Posted by barnesec 2 years ago
barnesec
I'd say corruption's more a sliding scale, not a yes or no.