mcalcara
LostintheEcho1498

The US Should Abolish the Electoral Collage

mcalcara

Pro

1-acceptance
2-reasoning
3-rebute opponents reasoning
4-defend from rebuttal
5-conclusion
Pretty please with a cherry on top no ff's
LostintheEcho1498

Con

I accept your challenge even though I agree with you but I will do my best to see the other side of the argument. Let the games begin!
mcalcara

Pro

I believe that the Electoral college should be replaced with the popular vote instead. First off, there is uneven voting power based on where you live. According to FairVote.org, each individual vote in Wyoming counts nearly four times as much in the Electoral College as each individual vote in Texas. This is because Wyoming has three (3) electoral votes for a population of 532,668 citizens (as of 2008 Census Bureau estimates) and Texas has thirty-two (32) electoral votes for a population of almost 25 million. By dividing the population by electoral votes, we can see that Wyoming has one "elector" for every 177,556 people and Texas has one "elector" for about every 715,499. The difference between these two states of 537,943 is the largest in the Electoral College(1). So, with the electoral collage, we are putting into place that some peoples vote is more important than others. The second flaw with the electoral collage is that there have been instances in which the winner of the popular vote did not win the presidency. Also from FairVote, As the 2000 election demonstrated, it is possible for a president to be elected without winning the popular vote. Nor was the Bush/Gore election the first time a presidential candidate has won the presidency while someone else claimed a plurality of the votes cast. Andrew Jackson and Samuel Tilden won the popular vote in 1824 and 1876 respectively, only to see someone else walk into the White House. So because of these two flaws, we should get rid of the Electoral Collage.
(1)http://www.fairvote.org...
LostintheEcho1498

Con

LostintheEcho1498 forfeited this round.
mcalcara

Pro

mcalcara forfeited this round.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

Alright, I am going to apologize here for not being able to debate last round but here it goes.

There are 2 main reasons why the electoral college is an important part of American voting:

1. "Direct election was rejected not because the Framers of the Constitution doubted public intelligence but rather because they feared that without sufficient information about candidates from outside their State, people would naturally vote for a "favorite son" from their own State or region. At worst, no president would emerge with a popular majority sufficient to govern the whole country. At best, the choice of president would always be decided by the largest, most populous States with little regard for the smaller ones."(from http://uselectionatlas.org...)
To quickly interpret, the founding fathers did not want people just to vote in their favorite because of state. Just because you live in Florida and the candidate lived in Florida does not mean you should vote him/her in. This has evolved beyond this though. People select their votes based off of ethnicity or off of ridiculous opinions. () In this video they did a survey which shows just how clueless people have become. The Electoral college is one way to help prevent people as clueless as these from voting and directly affecting how the country is run. In the website(http://bigstory.ap.org...) it talks about the very prejudice surrounding the Obama elections. If you read the article(as it is a relatively large size and I find would be ridiculous to post on here) you will see that people who were black voted for Obama because he is black and when people who were black did not they called them, "jigaboo, traitor, house nigger and worse after posting, "Vote for Romney. The only choice for your future."" The electoral college is the compromise to prevent people like this from directly impacting everyone's future.

2. The electoral college is based on, "The Electoral College consists of 538 electors. A majority of 270 electoral votes is required to elect the President. Your state"s entitled allotment of electors equals the number of members in its Congressional delegation: one for each member in the House of Representatives plus two for your Senators."(from http://www.archives.gov...) The electoral college is made the same way that the senate and house of representatives are; you get votes based on population and the automatic senate votes. This helps keep it similar to the compromise of Congress to help make things fair. If the whole population got to vote, then it would become more leaned toward some rather than others.

Over to you Pro!
mcalcara

Pro

mcalcara forfeited this round.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

PM me if you can debate next round. Anyway, if not, Vote for Me!!!yeah!!!!
mcalcara

Pro

mcalcara forfeited this round.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

"Where'd You Go?"

Where'd you go?
I miss you so,
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone.

She said "Some days I feel like s*,
Some days I wanna quit, and just be normal for a bit,"
I don't understand why you have to always be gone,
I get along but the trips always feel so long,
And, I find myself trying to stay by the phone,
'Cause your voice always helps me to not feel so alone,
But I feel like an idiot, workin' my day around the call,
But when I pick up I don't have much to say,
So, I want you to know it's a little messed up,
That I'm stuck here waitin', at times debatin',
Tellin' you that I've had it with you and your career,
Me and the rest of the family here singing "Where'd you go?"

I miss you so,
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone.
Where'd you go?
I miss you so,
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone,
Please come back home...

You know the place where you used to live,
Used to barbecue up burgers and ribs,
Used to have a little party every Halloween with candy by the pile,
But now, you only stop by every once and a while,
Shoot, I find myself just fillin' my time,
With anything to keep the thought of you from my mind,
I'm doin' fine, and I'm plannin' to keep it that way,
You can call me if you find that you have something to say,
And I'll tell you, I want you to know it's a little messed up,

I miss you so,
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone.
Where'd you go?
I miss you so,
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone,
Please come back home...

I want you to know it's a little messed up,
That I'm stuck here waitin', no longer debatin',
Tired of sittin' and hatin' and makin' these excuses,
For why you're not around, and feeling so useless,
It seems one thing has been true all along,
You don't really know what you've got 'til it's gone,
I guess I've had it with you and your career,
When you come back I won't be here and you can sing it...

Where'd you go?
I miss you so,
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone.
Where'd you go?
I miss you so,
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone,
Please come back home...
Please come back home...
Please come back home...
Please come back home...
Please come back home...
-Fort Minor, "Where'd You Go"
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 3 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
Sorry but schedule was not allowing and it made me forfeit. I will be debating for the next rounds though so what you do for the current round is up to you.