ChosenWolff
aspire1

The US Should Give Unlimited Visa's

aspire1

ChosenWolff

Pro

First round is acceptance.
aspire1

Con

I accept this argument.
ChosenWolff

Pro

Well, it turns out that I wont actually be able to post this round, do to my schedule, so I might as well inform my opponent. Good luck, and may we have a good debate.
aspire1

Con

aspire1 forfeited this round.
ChosenWolff

Pro

I do have a problem with making an argument, when I feel my opponent will just forfeit next round.

We'll follow the mutual forfeit rule devised awhile a go. If my opponent responds, you should tie the debate. If he doesn't, give me the point.

Thanks, but it looks like this debate wont actually happen.
aspire1

Con

I'm extremely sorry for the delay.
I was a bit busy with my work.
Firstly I would like to thank my opponent for posting this debate.
It can be said that US has been founded on immigration since its birth.The very first people to live in US were immigrants from England if I'm not wrong.Even now the percentage of total number of immigrants in the world living in US is more than the next two runner-ups in the world, Russia and Germany.
Immigrants are persons living in the United States who were not American citizens at birth. This includes naturalized American citizens, legal permanent residents (green card holders), illegal immigrants, and people on long-term temporary visas such as foreign students or guest workers. (1)
Immigration policy determines the number allowed in, the selection criteria used, and the level of resources devoted to controlling illegal immigration.
By the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965, which abolishes the national origins formula used by the Emergency Quota Act, and replaced it with the quota system my opponent mentioned, which allows 175,000 visas to be issued every year for every country in the world.(2)
175,000 is not a small number at all.The number of immigrants (legal and illegal) in the country hit a new record of 40 million in 2010, a 28 percent increase over the total in 2000. We DO ENCOURAGE immigrants into our country openly but every country has its own limits.Recently, one of the most important findings is that immigration has dramatically increased the size of the nation"s low-income population.Because, jobs are being given to the immigrants and hence many native people are left without any job in the end.

There are many reasons to examine the nation"s immigrant population. First, immigrants and their minor children now represent one-sixth of the U.S. population.
New immigration plus births to immigrants added more than 22 million people to the U.S. population in the last decade, equal to 80 percent of total population growth. Immigrants and their young children (under 18) now account for more than one in five public school students, one-fourth of those in poverty, and nearly one-third of those without health insurance, creating very real challenges for the nation"s schools, health care systems, and physical infrastructure. (1)

One of the reasons immigrants choose America over other nations is because we don't just kick them into the streets as soon as they step off the boat. They have access to government placement programs and safety nets like SSI and food stamps, they don't have to step into the great unknown all by themselves.

Especially during times like these when the government is looking to pinch pennies where ever it can, these systems would be totally overwhelmed and of no use to anybody at all. The quality of life for immigrants in the U.S. would plummet, and then the American dream really would fade from reality.

This is my argument. I look forward to hear to your argument. If there is no argument being posted, then vote for "CON".

References:
(1).http://cis.org...
(2).http://en.wikipedia.org...
Posted by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
As always, happy to clarify this RFD.
Posted by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
RFD:

I'm not awarding conduct, although I do find it moderately tempting.

Pro at least SAID he was going to forfeit, and did not actually forfeit the round.

Still, I found his complaints about the forfeit his opponent did when he, himself, conceded a round and claimed it was due to a lack of time, seems unfair of him. Particularly since he instigated this debate, then conceded the round AFTER it had been accepted. He also failed to post an R3, despite having an opportunity to do so--complaining about Con's forfeit, instead. So I'm nulling conduct.

As to arguments: Con DID present arguments in the last round. This is generally considered unsporting. HOWEVER, Pro had BoP. Pro failed to make any kind of case. On that alone he'd deserve to lose. But this was also a 3 round debate, with first round as acceptance. Pro conceded R2, and failed to make an argument in R3. Con forfeited R2 after Pro conceded it, *and had nothing to rebut from Pro* in R3. Making at least some kind of case is fully understandable under those conditions, and is better than if he'd merely asserted "My opponent made no case, I win", even though even that would have been technically true. So arguments to Con.
Posted by ChosenWolff 2 years ago
ChosenWolff
Hope to have an invigorating debate.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
ChosenWolffaspire1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.
Vote Placed by Mikal 2 years ago
Mikal
ChosenWolffaspire1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: con actually laid out an argument. pro had a chance to make a R3 and passed. Both contenders FFed round 2 and pro had a chance to present a case. He was assuming his adversary would FF and to his disadvantage he did not. Thus con is the only one with arguments standing. Conduct to pro due to con posting new arguments in the last round.