Joss_Whedon
supersosa

The US Should Lower Its Military Budget and Divert Those Funds to NASA and Education

Joss_Whedon

Pro

The US spends way to much on its military as is. In fact, roughly 57% of the entire budget goes to military, 6% to education and 0.58% to NASA. It is little wonder then, that our education leaves us 24th in Math, 21st in Science and 31st in reading. Another unsurprising fact is that we now rely on Russia's Souyez program to get astronauts to the ISS. No offense to Russia, they are quite good at space programs, but we need to send our own people to space. This is imperative for not only now, but our future as a species.
On the other hand, we have the largest military budget by far, and the only reason we need it is because of the Middle East. I am not bashing any religion or country here, but the only reason the first world is interested in the Middle East in oil. Maybe in adition to NASA and education, we should pit money toward developing renewable fuel sources for our cars that can be made the norm.
supersosa

Con

Contention 1: Military funding is important as ever before. The threats to the United States and its allies are more dangerous than ever before. Iran is trying to get nukes. Right now, our military presence breathing down their spines is the only thing deterring them at all. If they get nukes, it will lead to an arms race in the Middle east and make an extremely volatile area laden with terrorists nuclear. Other threats exist as well, such as ISIS, Boko Haram, and Al-Qaeda. Also, the Military is not the most funded thing. Welfare is, so I would like to see your source for that.
Contention 2) NASA gets many benefits from the military. According to SciShow, a show about science, NASA's first ships were based off of rockets that the military created created. If we divert funding from the military and into NASA, we exchanging safety and technological advancement for a teeny bit more of technological advancement.
Contention 3) The Military also supports education. The GI Bill gives free college tuition to veterans who served. Again, diverting the funding purely to education would simply lose safety for the military. Since education and NASA are already benefited by it, education or NASA funding should NOT come out of the military's budget, especially in this time of crisis.
Also, talking about renewable fuel, that is not in the resolution as is.
The military is not something we have to flex our muscles. It provides safety to Americans and innocent civilians abroad.
We should not divert funding from the military, especially to two areas that the military itself benefits.
With this I list my arguments and await your speech.
https://www.youtube.com...
Joss_Whedon

Pro

I do admit that the renewable energy discussion was an unnecessary tangent, and I apologize for that. However, when I reffered to education, I did not mean at the collegit level. I meant k-12 educational funding, the college debate is a tangent that I do not want to be involved in. However, I in no way said the millitary didn't benefit those two areas in some way, I did say the budget should be lowered from its current roughly 718 billion dollars. I am all for a millitary, and a strong one, because it is a dangerous world, and we do need defense. It is also a world we are falling behind in on the mental front. What I mean by that is we are becoming more a nation that pays other people to invent and do the work, and eventually it will get us. I hope this clarafied my previous argument.
supersosa

Con

Okay. I didn't know you were going for K-12 Education. Sorry.

Anyways, we still need all of our military budget. The United States has the upper hand in technological advancements against other not-so-friendly countries, such as China and North Korea. We need technological advancement constantly from the military. Again, there are also terrorist organizations and countries trying to get nukes that we need to stop.
My opponent never rebuked this, instead saying it just needed to be lowered and put into NASA or education.
But diverting funding to NASA is the least of our concerns as a nation, especially when the military benefits it in the first place. And education is hard to fund at the government level. Most funding for public schools are funded locally. One of the lone things that the Dept. of Education can do is No Child Left Behind, which works and needs no further funding.
When my opponent was talking about paying others to do work, this has nothing to do with the military. The military is a fully volunteered American force. We are making these advancements ourselves. We are helping NASA as a by product, and helping getting kids post-secondary education, which is crucial to getting a job in this marketplace. This is a better use of taxpayers' money than primary and secondary education, which are very hard to be funded at the federal level.
Thank you and please vote con.
Posted by Yottabit 2 years ago
Yottabit
I'll remain neutral on this.
First, the numbers. About 50% of the Discretionary spending is spent on military, not 50% of the total budget. The total amount spent on military as a whole is about 16% of the total budget. And the total amount spent on science as a whole is about 1%. Con is right, most of the total budget is spent on social security, unemployment and labor. However, that spending falls into a different category than military and science spending. It appears that Pro took their numbers from the discretionary budget, and Con from the total budget. In my opinion, science and the military are equally important, but the military simply needs more money than NASA . The best way to fund NASA, would be to divert money from unemployment, but taking away people's money and telling them to get a job is not easy.
Posted by Joss_Whedon 2 years ago
Joss_Whedon
*is, I'm doing this on a phone, and have fat thumbs :)