Realism101
Seagull

The US: a republic(pro) or democracy(con)

Realism101

Pro

To open I simply want to point out that our founding fathers intended the U.S. To be a republic. What evidence do I have? At the end of the constitution convention a woman asked Benjamin Franklin what they had given us, in which he replied; "a republic madam, if you can keep it.
Seagull

Con

Thank you for initiating this debate. I am glad to finally get to put the confusion surrounding this topic to rest. I will argue that the U.S. is not A republic or a democracy, it is both. Those who claim it is one or the other is a distinction without a difference.

Glossary

Democracy: "government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system." (1)

Republic: "a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them." (2)

A distinction without a difference

“A distinction without a difference is a type of logical fallacy where an author or speaker attempts to describe a distinction between two things although no difference exists.It is particularly used when a word or phrase has connotations associated with it that one party to an argument prefers to avoid.” (3)

The USA is a Democracy and a Republic

The United States is a Representative Democracy. The United States is a Republic. We, the people, are vested with the power and authority to elect our representatives. Upon examination, it is easy to see that a Representative Democracy and a Republic are synonymous. When you are asked the question which type of government does the United States have, a Republic or a Democracy? Feel free to simply say, yes we are a democratic republic. It is worth noting that the words democracy and republic are synonyms. (4)

This should clear up this topic nicely.

(1) http://www.dictionary.com...
(2) http://www.dictionary.com...
(3) https://en.wikipedia.org...
(4) http://www.thesaurus.com...

Realism101

Pro

Realism101 forfeited this round.
Seagull

Con

Seagull forfeited this round.
Realism101

Pro

Realism101 forfeited this round.
Seagull

Con

Seagull forfeited this round.
Posted by Seagull 1 year ago
Seagull
Well, you have it labeled that con is arguing that The U.S. is a democracy and not a republic... that is not my position. I am arguing that it is both. So, if you change the title, I will.
Posted by Realism101 1 year ago
Realism101
Well then debate me.
Posted by Seagull 1 year ago
Seagull
I would be happy to argue that this is a distinction without a difference.
Posted by Realism101 1 year ago
Realism101
ConeScone, that is a common myth, we in the US or at least what the founding fathers created was a representational republic, some say a constitutional representational republic but I don't like that because it seems redundant to me and just to much words.
Posted by Realism101 1 year ago
Realism101
Seagull, I looked at the source you have sited and I want you to understand that they are similar in many ways, but a republic is not a democracy. What's the difference? It's just one, but it is a very important difference, the difference is where the power or athority comes from. In a democracy the power comes from either the people or their elected officials. Whereas in a republic the power comes from the law.
Posted by Realism101 1 year ago
Realism101
Ockham, there are many who believe that we are a democracy rather than a republic. My goal isn't to figure out why that is so that hopefully people can learn the difference and why we are a republic.
Posted by ConeScone 1 year ago
ConeScone
It is a democratic republic, not a representative democracy.
Posted by Ariesz 1 year ago
Ariesz
It is a representative democracy. We are a mix of a republic and a democracy.
Posted by Ockham 1 year ago
Ockham
This is just a fact, you are right by definition. Why would you start a debate over a fact?
Posted by Seagull 1 year ago
Seagull
I would be happy to argue that it is both.