jakethesnake12345
JohnSmythe

The US needs to do much more to combat climate change

jakethesnake12345 has forfeited round #5.

jakethesnake12345

Pro

The United States must do more to combat climate change for the following reasons

1. More jobs in sustainable energy
2. Less dependence on Saudi for oil
3. A better enviroment back home.
JohnSmythe

Con

Since my opponent gave a short blurb to define the debate, I will too in order to maintain parity.

Basically, the fundamental issue is this:

"Is drastic government intervention on behalf of the environment worth the cost?"

Because solar and wind are expected to be cheaper than fossil fuels by at most 2030 (likely a lot sooner)

http://www.businessinsider.com...

The question becomes "Is it worth the tremendous cost to slightly reduce greenhouse gas emissions for five to ten years?"
jakethesnake12345

Pro

Thanks to my opponent for his response.

The united states needs to move toward renewables and not try to revert back toward reliance on fossil fuels. The current administration has been very vocal on doing this. Solar and Wind are already cheaper, its just their not getting there a ss wiped by the governments like the oil companies do. Right now if another energy crisis happened the US consumer would be hurt and our economy would grind to a halt. If we invest in renewables now and get off dependenct we can better look after ourselves without relying on the saudis to wipe our as ses.

I look forward to my opponents response.
JohnSmythe

Con

Interesting point. I will assume it as true for the purpose of argument. Wind and Solar are already cheaper.

Well, then the only intervention for the government would be stop subsidizing the oil industry (which I am in fully in favor of). With no subsidies, the oil industry crumbles, wind and solar become dominant, and all using the capital of the private sector rather than the government, and no inefficiency derived therefrom! That would be the simplest and cheapest solution, not to mention it would appeal to both right and left!
jakethesnake12345

Pro

I like your point.

However I think the Government should encourage wind and solar and invest in wind and solar when possible. I am not advocating for the government to get as involved as they are in oil or other forms of energy. But think about how much gov't is involved at the local levels with regards to our power. Their hands are all in it. The reforms cannot take place without the gov't getting out and letting the renewable take its course.
Perhaps I was a bit wrong when i said they were already cheaper, i think my point is that if gov't was involved and invested in them the same way as oil they would be much cheaper and we would be economically stronger without having to pollute our enviroment to harness the energy.

Any thoughts sir?
JohnSmythe

Con

You can't just "invest" in Wind and Solar. You have to choose specific technologies and specific firms that make those technologies to invest in, and we all know how the government picks its investments.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

The connected will get the money, rather than who has the best idea. In the private sector, if your company can make more money, you'll find investors.

So I say stop subsidizing oil, let a few more years go by, alternative energy will already be cheaper without Uncle Sam spending any of his money, and climate change will effectively resolve itself.
jakethesnake12345

Pro

What do you mean you cant just invest.
The gov't has been doing that with oil for decades and you never complained.
We need real energy soulutions for the modern world and need to stop guzzling on saudi oil.
JohnSmythe

Con

Go ahead and reread that "you can't just invest" in context.
Posted by Angry_Bird 2 months ago
Angry_Bird
What climate change?