The US should allow other countries to rent major US states, and charge the sh** out of them for it
Debate Rounds (3)
Basically, the US should lease unpopular states to other countries for money.
Important details about the program:
1) Only Florida, Texas, and California can be rented/leased
2) The US will charge a minimum of $250 Billion per year for another country to rent/lease one of these 3 states
3) The renters can do whatever they want with the state
4) Only 1 state can be rented at a time
5) Other nations can enter into bidding wars to rent a state, meaning that the price of $250 billion a year could go even higher
6) Once the 5 year or 10 year rent period ends, the US can decide to shut down the program or keep it and start a new bidding period for the next renter/occupant
7) The rented states will not have any say in US elections or policies during the time they are rented
8) The rented states's debt will contribute to the country that is renting them, not that of the US.
First round is NOT acceptance only. Go crazy
I think this would be unpopular internationally for the following reasons: alligators, rednecks and bad driving.
Let's start out with alligators:
As potatoes are to Ireland, so alligators are to Florida. There are 1.3 million alligators there . Can you imagine renting that place? Talk about a dangerous animal. Those things will rip your arm off in a second if you're not careful. Even several point blank shots with your standard pistol won't phase them.
What's the reason there aren't more dead bodies in Florida? Well for one, bodies decomposed, but aside from that alligators are actually really patriotic . There are the rogue gators that you really don't want to mess with, but the alligators were honored by Florida using them as the mascot for their state football team. We uplifted them to the status of our warriors that come to fight, and they decided they loved America because of that.
Can you imagine what would happen if a country like France, who no body likes anymore anyway, tried to rent out that area? Their embassies would be attacked. The landlords would become one with the land if you know what I mean (they'd be found in either feces or decomposing matter).
My second point is going to be rednecks:
What is Texas famous for? Well, it's not their immense population of gun control advocates and cities boys. They're famous for the gun flinging rednecks. Don't underestimate these guys. They stick together, and they'll blow your head off if you mess with Texas.
Unfortunately, some foreign countries might have never heard the phrase "don't mess with Texas," or "everything's bigger in Texas." It just takes one rumor that the renting country hates any of the following: beer, their moms, or Jesus, and suddenly an army of rednecks will be at the doors of the new country's temporary government, and there will be a massacre.
Texas knows their second amendment, and they protect it with an average of five guns a piece. Some have more and some have less. Renting Texas would fail because the citizens wouldn't allow it. You'd need to bring the army in for that, but we all know who would win. Don't mess with Texas.
My third point is bad driving:
Now, we know another thing about America. California has some of the worst drivers in the states . Heard of a California stop? One of those almost killed me the other day. If you haven't heard of it, it just means you don't really stop at the stop sign. Not to mention the people there are generally too drugged to be paying attention to the road anyway.
Who wants that? That's like renting an apartment, but you have to share it with that crazy guy that constantly runs into things and will probably destroy your stuff every time you get it set up. This is what renting the state of California would be like.
That system would also fail there.
That's why I think this is a bad idea. Your move imabench.
" There are 1.3 million alligators there . Can you imagine renting that place? Talk about a dangerous animal."
Have you SEEN Australia? In Australia its news when they find an animal that ISNT deadly, and gators arent even that deadly! Since the year 2000, only 13 people in the US have been killed by gators.... The last one happened in 2007, and in that incident a guy hid in the pond when trying to hide from the cops, so he kinda had it coming
"Can you imagine what would happen if a country like France, who no body likes anymore anyway, tried to rent out that area? Their embassies would be attacked. The landlords would become one with the land if you know what I mean (they'd be found in either feces or decomposing matter)"
Sounds like France's problem to me, and as you said, nobody likes the French, so who gives a sh**?
2) Rednecks in Texas
"they'll blow your head off if you mess with Texas."
lol no they wont, America f*cks with the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans all the time, and the last candidate to run from President was Rick Perry who lets face it, EVERYONE messed with him. Hell I think even God himself likes to mess with Rick Perry.... He may have even MADE Rick Perry JUST to mess with Texas.....
"It just takes one rumor that the renting country hates any of the following: beer, their moms, or Jesus, and suddenly an army of rednecks will be at the doors of the new country's temporary government, and there will be a massacre."
Have you MET rednecks? The only way you could mobilize rednecks to do anything ever is when the words 'Daytona 500' and 'Tomorrow!' are used..... Rednecks dont give two sh**s about politics as long as it doesnt affect their access to Bud Light and football on TV.
"You'd need to bring the army in for that, but we all know who would win"
Seriously? Texas is invaded every day by an army of Mexicans and Texas is getting its A** whipped.... If Texas cant handle illegal immigrants then they wouldnt be able to handle a foreign army that actually is armed.
3) Bad drivers
"California has some of the worst drivers in the states . Heard of a California stop? One of those almost killed me the other day. If you haven't heard of it, it just means you don't really stop at the stop sign. Not to mention the people there are generally too drugged to be paying attention to the road anyway. Who wants that?"
Its kind of hard to sell bad drivers as a conflict point since just about every European Nation has it so that people drive on TEH OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD.
Hell, Germany doesnt even have speed limits on some of their highways and they are the strongest power in Europe! You think theyre going to be phased by the sh**ty drivers in California? They all drive those 2 inch smart cars anyways, theyre not even real cars :P
Reasons why this program would be a good thing
1) The US could knock out 1.25 trillion of its debt MINIMUM, which would go a long way in fixing that whole debt thing
2) Makes elections a lot more fair. Republicans, wouldnt it be nice to have a presidential election or two where the Democratic Party doesnt have the entire state of California or New York in their corner every single time???? With this program, that could happen, and you all might actually win an election! :D
3) The 4 states that are elegible to be rented suck. (Texas, Cali, NY, and Florida are on everyones shortlist of states theyd like to see leave the nation)
4) The renter nations may turn the state into something better when we get it back!
5) Its impossible for the states to be even sh*ttier when we get them back because those states are complete sh** anyways
6) If there IS some damage, we can just charge that much more from the renter nation who let it happen. If you ding up a rented car, you still have to pay for it
7) We could make an a**load charging insurance for those states for nations scared of getting a penalty! If you pay extra to own Texas then you might as well be able to beat the sh** out of it since youve kinda earned it at this point.....
LAQUAINE forfeited this round.
1 votes has been placed for this debate.
Vote Placed by Subutai 2 years ago
|Agreed with before the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Agreed with after the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Who had better conduct:||-||-||1 point|
|Had better spelling and grammar:||-||-||1 point|
|Made more convincing arguments:||-||-||3 points|
|Used the most reliable sources:||-||-||2 points|
|Total points awarded:||4||0|
Reasons for voting decision: FF.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.